PS2 FMCB Install problem

Discussion in 'Sony Programming and Development' started by -SiD-, Aug 3, 2017.

1. -SiD-

-SiD- Active Member

I have two PS2 consoles. The first one is a PS2 TEST DTL-H50002 and the second one is a slim model SPCH-75004. I want to install FMCB on the slim model. I've burned a disc with uLaunchELF which I can boot with my TEST PS2. So far so good. Now, when I want to install the actual FMCB build I can't select the menu point "multi install". Is there a way to install FMCB for multi consoles on my TEST PS2? I've tried already some different versions of FMCB. In some older versions I can select "multi install" but then an error pops up. Something with DVDELF.BIN. Can somebody help me? I have no knowledge about PS2. :(

2. Otello

Otello Member

Debug units don't have DVD Player and as a consequence are unable to decrypt DVD Player flagged KELFs. FMCB works this way. So you can't install FMCB on DTL (at least theoretically).

3. -SiD-

-SiD- Active Member

The confusing thing is that the normal installation finishes without problems and I have the FMCB files on my memory card. Only the multi install doesn't work. Is there a method to start uLaunchELF on the Slim model without modchip/swapdisk/etc. I've read that there is a way with exploited PS1 savegames. Will this work?

4. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

FMCB installations are not transferrable between a CEX and DEX.
    Support for a DEX was only officially added in v1.9x.

FMCB is no longer dependent on the DVD player as of v1.8c. Supported models of the DEX are now also supported, specifically those that can decrypt KELFs.

The indepedence exploit does not work on all slimline consoles.
    There's the swap trick that you can use, but it's not particularly safe.

If you can see yourself getting the PS3 Memory Card Adaptor, you can use the PS3MCA package to install FMCB.
    You can upgrade to v1.953 after that.

pool7 and -SiD- like this.
  5. thebigman1106

thebigman1106 Robust Member

If you can get hold of action replay max (with media player), that can load uLaunch efl from within the media player.

load the launcher & installer on to a pen drive, then load the action replay media player then Load the uLaunch then the installer.

Its also posible to use the swap magic coder version to load uLaunch then the installer.

6. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

Why do you need Multi-Install? Just wondering.

7. -SiD-

-SiD- Active Member

I want FMCB for the Slim model but I have no possibilities to start uLaunchELF on this. I think I ask some people next days in my neighborhood, maybe someone have a Swap Magic disc that I can borrow for FMCB install.

EDIT: I've got a Swap Magic disc, with this installation was completed successfully! Thanks @ all for your help! ;)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  8. Myria

Myria Peppy Member

I thought that with a debugging station, the reading of DVD video is permanently disabled. This would mean that you wouldn't be able to boot DVD-Rs written in the custom DVD video format. (Of course, you could just convert them to master disk format, *then* they'd work...)

What is Free McBoot useful for on a debugging station?

9. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

Congratulations!

Yes, indeed.

It still serves its original purpose: to allow one to boot homebrew software. The DEX is still very much like a CEX.
    It can also be used to boot RDB (free copy of the TDB startup card), which no longer has a standalone version.

10. krisk77

krisk77 Peppy Member

Which models of DEX are supported now that can decrypt KELFs?

11. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

Any model that is not a:
    • DTL-H1000x
    • DTL-H3000x
    This means that if you have a model like DTL-H1010x, DTL-H3010x, DTL-H500xx etc, it will likely support MagicGate file decryption.
    However, a DEX must have FMCB installed by itself or another DEX. Unlike the case of the PSX & PS2, binding a file with a DEX will render it undecryptable by a CEX. The reverse it also true.

AKuHAK, krisk77 and AlGollan84 like this.