PS2 (FAT) Spindle Does Not Spin at All

Discussion in 'Repair, Restoration, Conservation and Preservation' started by CaptainSodaPop, Mar 11, 2018.

1. CaptainSodaPop

CaptainSodaPop Active Member

So I ordered a brand new lens to replace it in my FAT PS2 because not all games work properly through HDD loader. I installed it correctly (de-soldered the point on it, and all that stuff), but red light does not light up. I've noticed then that spindle motor does not spin at all. I'm kinda suspicious it is the main problem since the lens is brand new, but would it then be the cause, for it to not flash red, or I just really had bad luck an received thing dead on arrival? I've checked all the fuses on the motherboard with the multi-meter, and everything seems fine. I also have a brand new ribbon cable, for the lens, so it should not be the cause. Motor that moves the lens is working.

2. psydefx

psydefx Robust Member

check the ribbon cable is installed perfect. its a bitch to get it installed just right

3. CaptainSodaPop

Even though plastic on my motherboard ribbon connector broke (plastic part that tightens the cable), I doubt it's the issue. I used electrical tape, and taped it nicely + transfered that thermal pad on it, so when it's all put back together it fits tight nicely.

What answer I am searching, for, is, "Would the laser flash red anyways if spindle motor wasn't working?" If it would, then I had a bad luck, and received a dead laser. :(

4. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

If I am not wrong, it will not do anything if no disc is detected - i.e. if the optical block doesn't work and hence prevents a disc from being detected, then the disc motor will not be activated.

Are you sure that you've installed the correct type of optical block? There were a few models of it.
    The earliest PlayStation 2 models are incapable of supporting the new Sanyo SF-HD7 model that was fitted in some of the newer models.

5. CaptainSodaPop

I have a 30004 FAT PS2, and I installed KHS 400C which was the same model I've had before. I guess I'll ask, for a refund then, or a replacement. Thanks, for the answer.

6. steocullen91

steocullen91 Rising Member

I've had a DOA PS2 slim motor so it can happen. In your case it's definitely a dead laser by the sounds of it. I've actually ordered a KHS-400C from amazon and 2 from ebay so I'm hoping I don't have the same issue. I have 3 fat PS2. 3 different models and one's a v7. 2 of them work and the 30003 I have need a lens. I'm just going to replace them all just so I know they all function correctly as I managed to break the skew adjustment on the HD7 laser in my 50003 ad have the rails at 2 odd angles to have it read games for now. I don't really trust that though so I'm replacing that too.

I think if you put the HD7 in an older model it will hop too high and laser burn your discs which it did in my case anyway, unless that was just a once off.

7. bart_simpson

bart_simpson Dauntless Member

Have you checked the white cog for hight adjustments and the black screw on the laser i had this problem with useing 400c laser on a v3 ps2 but now works with the adjustments
    Or you can use a scope to check the laser pattern
    If you have one