PS2 Emulation On PS4

Discussion in 'PlayStation 4 Development (4,Pro)' started by thebigman1106, Nov 20, 2015.

1. thebigman1106

thebigman1106 Spirited Member

2. proarturs

proarturs The force is with me

To be honest I didn't expect Sony would even bother with this.
    Nice move by them !

3. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

Something tells me Sony wouldn't of even thought of bothering with this if Xbox One didn't have 360 backwards compatibility.

4. Johnny

Johnny Gran Turismo Freak and Site Supporter 2013,2015

Eurogamer discovered this PS2 emulation a long time ago, patents and stuff.

January 2014 - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-ps1-ps2-games-heading-to-ps4

Honestly, the PS4 should have been able to run previous PS1 and PS2 digital purchases since launch. This is no "counter attack" to the Xbox One backwards compatibility.

By the way, i even read somewhere that Sony had a PSP emulator for the PS3 but didn't even bother releasing it.

5. Syclopse

Syclopse .

Yes, news would be PS3 emulation on the PS4, but this is still good if it comes to inserting original PS1/PS2 CDs.

6. Jack.

Jack. RISC Master Race

Surely this is some good news, but it doesn't even match Microsoft's 360 emulation. It's easier for Microsoft, I guess: If it runs on NT/DirectX, it runs on any of our consoles. That's what they did right IMO.

About PSP emulation, I thought DEX/CFW PS3 could run them out of the box. I may be totally wrong though.

7. Syclopse

Syclopse .

No what Microsoft did was unreal, PPC on X86. It's so hard to do that you are not reading about Sony adding PS3 support on the PS4, instead it's PS2.

8. Johnny

Like i said, this has nothing to do with Xbox360 emulation. This has been under development for a long time.

March 2013 - Trophies support for PS1 and PS2 games: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/21/are-trophies-coming-for-psone-and-ps2-classics

Xbox360 emulation is quite an achievement, specially since they also support physical copies. PS1, PS2 and even PSP emulation is something so trivial, it should been on PS4 from day one, since they are already had lots of games available on their online store. It was only a matter of making the PS4 "version" crossbuy with previous purchases.

9. fate6

fate6 Haha, I killed a Pumpkin!

Not exactly,
    Yes you can put your disk in the XBO but that disk is just confirmation to the system that you have the game, You actually Run a digital version in some form of VM wrapper. afaik the entire X360 hardware is being simulated.

10. Johnny

I know that. The point i was trying to make is that Microsoft actually gave people that option instead of taking the easy route of just supporting previous digital purchases.

Sony's PS1 and PS2 support on PS4 will probably be just for previous and future digital purchases, not support any disc confirmation system.

11. nonosto

nonosto Intrepid Member

DVD/CD PS2 support or we must re buy on PS Store?

12. S4pph4rad

S4pph4rad Site Supporter 2015

They technically did release it. Most of the "PlayStation Minis" series on PSP support running on PS3 with over 200 games are supported. The Wikipedia article has a column showing which ones also run on PS3:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_minis
    I got a couple of those from Playstation Plus a few years ago, they do work on a normal PS3. Their emulator wasn't used for any games outside of that series though.
    Sony hasn't announced anything officially yet. The existing games with the Star Wars Bundle are not using the original discs, so it's likely that they'll want to make money selling them digitally again on the Playstation Store. On PS3 when they started selling PS2 games on the store, they didn't allow original discs to be used. (Unless you had a backwards compatible model, then it didn't matter)

Johnny likes this.
  13. Johnny

Had no idead of that. Thanks for sharing that info.

14. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

I've made a few PSP Remasters and minis (using the psp2ps3 tool). The compatibility is spotty (Im sad a few of my favorite psp titles can't work on it, but most do for what its worth) so I can see it being a problem considering how some ps2 games are made.

I really like the support of it but I don't like how compatibility isn't as great.
    (On a side note - Rockman Dash 2 for PSP. The main menu has input delay. I swear its because its being rendered at something greater at 1080p but then downscaled/sampled (idk the difference honestly) to be 1080p. The PS1 rendered the game main menu at 640x480 then output it at 320x240. The PSP does this as well but at double the PSP resolution is then back to its native resolution. Then when on PS3 it does Some value greater than 1920x1080 then goes back to 1080p causing at LEAST a whole second input delay. If it renders at double 1080p (3840x2160) then yeah it makes sense but I doubt it would. It would probably render at the proportion the PSP renders it so still out of 1080p but not by much... maybe 1440p?)

15. fate6

fate6 Haha, I killed a Pumpkin!

Don't forget the few PSP remasters SCE released, Those where running in the PSP Emu as well.

PixelButts likes this.
  16. thebigman1106

thebigman1106 Spirited Member

Guys some other titles have been added to the PSN store:
    Dark Cloud
    Grand Theft Auto 3
    Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
    Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
    Rogue Galaxy
    The Mark of Kri
    War of the Monsters
    Twisted Metal: Black

Sadly no disc based news. Its a shame we can't buy a digital licence at a lower rate if we own the legit version....even if we have to have the disc in to play the digital version.

17. duskdawn

duskdawn Spirited Member

Don't worry if $ony won't do it, our beloved hackers will do it.

But we have to be very patience.

Now that they have Linux running on PS4, it is just matter of time someone will write a native pcsx2 emulator app for ps4. Once that is done, I believe you will be able to load your PS2 iso on PS4. The next will be epsxe emulator and PPSSPP emulator. :)

Meer likes this.
  18. Kappa

Kappa Peppy Member

Not saying it wont be done but these guys are actively trying to keep it away from the piracy side, so unless anyone else other then the fail0verflow guys get something working youre not going to see anything

19. duskdawn

duskdawn Spirited Member

The funny thing is they demoed a Pokemon game that was playing on emulator. If we get into details, emulators would also fall into piracy.

Also, every single game console from 1st to 7th gen, have piracy. I am not sure what make PS4 soooo special that they don't want to have piracy.

It was happen sooner or later. We just have to be patience.

Slightly off topic.

Now all the psn PS4 game links are publicly available just like PS3.
    http://extreme-modding.de/PS4/database/games.html

You could download them have save them to your HDD for future "purposes."

Just like ps3, someone need to unlock the package installer in PS4. And once you are able to re-sign the packages, technically, you can download those game and install them on your PS4.

20. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

We already have working exploits to make this possible. Was discovered by some Brazilian hackers and have made a business in making it happen.

Sony has already sent C&D letters about it too.