PS2 DVD Player modifications

Discussion in 'Sony Programming and Development' started by krHACKen, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

Oh. Then is there a way to disable that for progressive?

2. Kensou

Kensou Active Member

The switch to Y Cb/Pb Cr/Pr I suppose is because Sony patched RGB out on DVD playback after the hole they left on the first releases of the PS2 in Japan where you could get true RGB out since the DVD player checked the OSD setting. DVD playback back on progressive scan was not supported. By the time progressive scan was supported they already had patched that.

Is there any tangible benefit on outputting RGB in progressive mode? I mean, I know RGB > YCbPr, but aren't DVD movie files enconded in YCbCr in the first place?

Also, isn't RGB SCART limited to interlaced only?

I suppose the only benefit would be to be able to watch movies on a VGA monitor. As I said, I have a sync-on-green monitor lying around and will test this in a couple of days.

3. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

As far as I know DVD movie encoding uses YCbCr. Needless to say most people never noticed back when players only had analog outputs.

480p in RGB SCART form (RGBs) is non-standard. A few devices are said to accept it, like the XRGB Mini Framemeister.
    Now 240p I've got no idea if the PS2 can be forced to watch movies that way. Or if any movies would look better.

4. Jolek

Jolek Spirited Member

Now, when no one is "complaining" :), is there a chance to make a packages in three version, (EU, America, Japan)
    including progressive scan fixes.
    I mean something, like no Progressive Scan packages versions with English Resource, containing all the nessesary files.

BTW today I'm having problem with pastie.org.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  5. krHACKen

krHACKen #CNNisISIS

Agreed.

Hmm, that's odd, pastie.org has been 503ing for a week or so :/ ...
    So I made a multilingual+multiregion bundle, and shorten the download URL with TinyURL.
    6879603817 @ tinyurl.com. Just add the number to the tinyurl address, like you do with the pastie shit.

The stuff is organized as Device\Region\Language.
    Example, if I had to install the DVD Player in japanese to my memory card, for use with a NA console :
    I'd bind MC\North America\Japanese\BAEXEC-DVDPLAYER\dvdplayer.elf to my PS2 MC and copy the BAEXEC-DVDPLAYER folder to that memory card.

And to launch the DVD Player from a USB drive, you have to put the files in the root of the device. It does not read the ressource files from a folder/sub-folder.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  6. Jolek

Jolek Spirited Member

@krHACKen I just want to thank you, this time for the way you organize everything.

It is simply a perfect package.

Could you also add a link to a "KELFTwinSigner v1.00" in a 1st post.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
    AlGollan84 and krHACKen like this.
  7. cde

cde Site Supporter 2017

Hi all, KrHACKen your latest package is great, and I've signed my DVD Player.elf no problem. Im running a SCPH-10000 model and I have your earlier 3.11j experimental USB version playing PAL DVDs perfectly, but the MC version of your new package has problems running PAL DVDs, on my PS2 anyway, I'm getting sound sync issues. It switches from 480p to 576 with the MC and USB version. Any ideas? Thanks.

Edit: Just tried a NTSC region 2 DVD and had the same results. Audio dropping / out of sync similar to the 50/60htz gain up you get from NTSC games on PAL systems... USB 3.11J works fine, I've watched several PAL region 2 movies start to finish.

The latest package version does display the option for progressive when playing NTSC DVD, not PAL so far, and when i enabled it, my monitor shows no signal / out of range! Im using a genuine PS3 component cable, PS2 set to YPBPR.. Thanks..

Update: after loads of signing and testing I think i need the MC version of the NON progressive 3.11J, as the USB version seems fine. The pastie is gone for this version, is anyone willing to share this one please? thanks..

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  8. mistamontiel

mistamontiel ..!!

Salutations

So my Biohazard Outbreaks arrived .. I thought ulaunchelf would just display the contents and direct boot ={ Sadly mistaken

I have the DVD Player 3.11J, complete multi-lingual/region bundle, with Progressive scan

I have slim NTSC-U PS2 with the FMCB softmod exploit , the component cable , a flash/USB drive . What is next to play NTSC-J game disc ?

9. Jolek

Jolek Spirited Member

I don't know if you notice, but this is only a DVD-VIdeo Player modification.
    It allows to play DVD-movies from all regions and it has a "green screen" fix, that's all.

10. americandad

americandad Familiar Face

While this mod usually works, this time it didn't.
    I just tried to play a US copy of Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events (Paramount Full Screen [4:3] Collection edition) and it just played me a blue screen with a text similar to "Your device cannot play this disc". The same thing happened when I tried to play it on a softmodded Xbox. Only when got I a hold of DVD-X for Xbox did it play properly.
    DVD Decrypter says "Possible RCE Protection Found!".
    What is going on o_O

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
    krHACKen likes this.
  11. krHACKen

krHACKen #CNNisISIS

Interesting.
    I don't own retail movie DVDs, but got a couple of Blaze DVD Region free softwares that claim to enable the RCE protected titles playback.
    Pastie 10978172

pool7 and americandad like this.
  12. americandad

Yeah, quite interesting indeed. I bought the dvd specifically for watching with my PS2 on a 4:3 CRT TV.
    Boy was I dissapointed when it told me I wouldn't be watching it after all, lol.
    Thanks for the pasties, good thing to have.

13. smf

smf mamedev

Have you thought about incorporating this into the dvd player patch?

14. l_oliveira

l_oliveira Officer at Arms

RCE protection works by detecting the DVD player region using a script command on the DVD disc menu script. If the script doesn't like what it finds it branches to a "dead screen menu" and never exits it.

The correct way of defeating it is the DVD player report the expected region instead of reporting something else or that it's free region. I suggest you use a patched player which matches the region of the disc you want to play? KHN offers all of them so it shouldn't be a problem, really.

15. krHACKen

krHACKen #CNNisISIS

I'll try and reverse the Blaze software as soon as I'm back on PS2. For now I'm messing with my last working ps3.

Oooh, that is good to know, thanks.
    So I guess I'll have to apply the latest SCART and progressive output to all the DVDPLx firstly; then look at what's done by the Blaze shit to the RAM.
    My current region free hack relies on a basic disc region [all/free] spoof only. I yet dunno how to fix the player region. Since some RCE protected titles don't play on region free players, I should probably have to craft a little piece of code which patches the player region according to the played DVD-Video region. Sounds doable, if I manage to find the spot.

16. krHACKen

krHACKen #CNNisISIS

So, I've disassembled the Blaze region free thing, and its subroutine does not patch crap but the SetGsVParam syscall (RGB hack), in 3.11J:confused:...
    Now a rather unusual request, can someone please PM me a disc image of a RCE protected movie or sample video, something uncracked that says "blablah wrong region" in 3.11J ? I'll look further into this any day.

AlGollan84 likes this.
  17. americandad

I can send you a mega link for the aforementioned movie later today. :)

krHACKen likes this.
  18. americandad

At the moment I'm having issues making an untouched image of the disc. So far, the disc image is coming out without any protection at all -__-
    Maybe I'll be able to make a proper image later tonight, if not hopefully in the days to come..

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
    krHACKen likes this.
  19. krHACKen

krHACKen #CNNisISIS

No problem gentleman, thanks for your efforts. There's no urge, as I started sorting my PS2 PlayOnline stuff.

uyjulian and AlGollan84 like this.
  20. krHACKen

krHACKen #CNNisISIS

A little something that came with my 3.04 disc :
    [​IMG]
    Large : PDPX-99109_SHEET.JPG

@americandad thanks for the share and the help man. Downloaded. I tried playing it with WMP and Daemon Tools, got the expected region locking message. Will try on the japanese PS2 DVD player asap.

Now I go butcher the DVD Player 3.04 disc I received today. It's the last disc that was missing from the fullset.

pool7 and americandad like this.