PS2 - DSP's Used on Motherboard Revisions?

Discussion in 'Sony Programming and Development' started by protivakid, May 13, 2019.

1. protivakid

protivakid Spirited Member

Does anyone know if the CXD1869/CXD1886 DSP was used only on the earlier revisions and the CXD3098Q was swapped in for the later ones? Or did Sony use either/or through all PS2 revisions depending on which plant was manufacturing them?

From digging online it seems that the earlier ones such as the v4 & v5 PS2s had a DSP marked CXD1869BQ, where as the later v7 & v8 PS2's had the CXD3098Q, but perhaps you experts will know better.

[​IMG]

2. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

I can't say that I've surely seen really a lot with PS2Ident's data, but the earlier DSPs were usually paired with the earlier MECHACON models. The service manuals indicate what are applicable replacement parts. The 3098Q seems to appear on every model, starting from the G-chassis (SCPH-37000 and later).

If they were really all drop-in replacements, then they wouldn't need to manufacture multiple designs right?

EDIT: from my other response on psx-scene:
    But decide on what you want. I think it's very difficult to tell what Sony really intended the newer DSP model for, without studying the device. It could have even just been simply a redesigned model for lower production costs...

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  3. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

The two different DSPs were used on different boards. If you're asking if they are interchangeable, then the answer is no - although they have the same number of pins, lots of signals are in different places and the newer DSP is presumably built using a smaller process since it uses two power rails - a 3.5V I/O supply and a 1.7V core supply. The older DSP is a single rail 3.5V device.
    The command sets seem different too, although that might just be down to different mechacon firmware.

4. protivakid

Thank you both for the responses!

I didn't know if it was like the Model 2 VA3 Sega Genesis were you could find a Sony CXA1145, Samsung KA2195D, or Sony CXA1645 video encoder all on the same motherboard revision.

I am more asking do say all V7 motherboards come with a specific DSP or could I have a V7 manufactured in plant A and a V7 manufactured in plant B and find each of them are using a different DSP despite the motherboard revision being the same?

5. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

This is actually a surprisingly difficult question to answer - the main problem is that the numbers like "V7" used by the modding community don't always map perfectly to the designations that Sony used. If they use the same PCB, then they will use the same chip.

For your specific example, all "V7" consoles used the GH-017 board, and hence all had the CXD3098Q DSP chip.

6. protivakid

So is it accurate to say that all GH-019 & GH-022 boards had the CXD3098Q DSP? Or within board revisions is it possible this varied?

7. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

The boards are the same, so no.

We've got the service manuals for the GH-017, GH-019, GH-023 and GH-026. Since the older DSP never appeared ever since the F-chassis, it's likely not possible.

Since the older device runs on a different voltage and has a differerent pinout, it is not possible to just drop one on a board meant for the newer chip.

If you're wondering whether they ever had a PS2 that was meant to deplete their stock of old DSP chips, it could have possibly been the F-chassis because that was the first model with the CXP103049 BGA-mounted MECHACON, but it was also paired with the older DSP.
    It was also officially the last PS2 for a number of things too, I guess. Like the Ricoh RTC and Sony T487 lens.

8. protivakid

Cool, thanks for the reply! So to sum it up, a GH-017-GH-026 and possibly newer should all use the CXD3098Q?