[PS2/Dreamcast] Halo?

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by americandad, Jan 27, 2013.

1. GUTS

GUTS Member

You could try using everything you've learned about reality up until this point in time and the evidence presented to you to determine how plausible the statement is and go from there like most people do. You should really read that link that Bad_Ad84 posted. The burden of evidence isn't a "double-edged sword", it's entirely, 100% upon the person making the claim. That's not an opinion, that's a fact; you're allowed to disagree with it the same amount you're allowed to disagree with the speed of light.

2. americandad

americandad Familiar Face

Thank you for the kindhearted advice. You should really read this thread before giving me advice. I never said a build of Halo for dreamcast/playstation2 exists. I said it can exist, and just because some member of this forum says "no it can't" doesn't mean it's so. IE If you say it doesn't exist for sure give me proof. I, on the other hand, never said it exists for sure. I'm only saying it's not impossible for it to exist. Hopefully you can grasp what i'm trying to tell you. I was being rhetorical about the evidence sword, but i still see it fitting.

3. Gaijira

Gaijira High Grade Multipurpose Use

Pfft Halo on any console other than the Xbox? That's about as absurd as saying "Half life was also developed for the DC", I'd like to see that!

Joking aside, you are allowed to believe that Halo was developed for the DC and PS2, no one can stop you, but the hard evidence is that A. Halo was announced as a Mac exclusive, no mention of consoles anywhere and B. it was only developed for a console after Microsoft bought the company to be a 1st party developer for the Xbox, so by default that pretty much proves there was no talk of any other consoles as Halo was a flagship game for the Xbox at release.

So evidence scores so far:

ASSEMbler - 2

americandad - 0

But anyway just ignore all that and keep believing in it, but just don't argue anymore and don't get your hopes up for a leaked beta.

4. alecjahn

alecjahn Site Soldier

5. GUTS

GUTS Member

That doesn't work, unfortunately. If I say that Super Mario 64 can exist for the Sega Saturn, and someone says it obviously doesn't (as there's no evidence for, and quite a bit against), it's my responsibility to show some compelling evidence to support my statement. No one could ever "prove" that SM64 doesn't exist on Saturn-- you can't prove a negative. No one could ever prove that a build of Halo doesn't exist for Dreamcast/PS2. No one can prove that unicorns and leprechauns don't exist. You're asking for the impossible, thus the burden of proof is on you to support your assertion that it can exist.

6. Museman

Museman Spirited Member

I found the PS2 Halo on the Halo 3 limited edition disc. It really just states that planned for the PS2 but "they never got it working [on the PS2]" and that was about the extent of that. As for the Dreamcast, I know one of the engineers who has been at Bungie for 11 years now. Pre-Microsoft Halo is something that I'm really interested in, and something I like to talk to him about.

Anyway, I was wondering why the PS2 of the consoles of the time (circa 2000) and why not early generations (PS1, N64, etc.) for previous games? Oni was the second game that Bungie has developed for the console, the first being Super Marathon for the Apple Pippin (lol). He said that Myth wasn't right for the console and that no one has ever made a successful RTS style game on the console. He said that Oni was the right fit for the PS2 because the hardware would support it and that the controller would work for Oni.

He also told me that Jason and Alex were trying to break into the console business (which makes sense if you think about it, allowing to be purchased by Microsoft to develop and shape the XBOX) because it was a growing market. Basically my entire point of all this leads to this. He told me that the only console that Jason wanted to develop for was the PS2 because it was the only console worth developing for at the time. Which to me, tells me that he didn't care about the Dreamcast or developing for it. Also it makes sense for them to develop Halo (circa 2000) for the PS2 considering they still had the PS2s hardware and software from developing Oni, so why not make it for the PS2 if they have the hardware?

7. Museman

Museman Spirited Member

And yes, I agree 100% down to the last letter. I could sit here all day on these forums and make threads and say "LoZ OoT for PS3.... COULD IT EXIST?!?!?"

Well, yes it could exist. Does it exist, I can say with 100% confidence that Nintendo hasn't developed LoZ OoT for the PS3, because it doesn't make sense logically, in anyway shape or form. I could sit here all day and just say "if you say it doesn't exist for sure, give me proof". Is there any proof that it doesn't exist? Well no, because radical questions typically don't have answers. So that means that it could exist!!!! Well, not necessarily. Just because Nintendo hasn't shot the idea down doesn't mean that there is a chance that Nintendo thought it would be a better idea to remake OoT for the PS3 rather than the Wii U, and it was fully working and operational, but last minute decided not to ship it.

I could make threads like "Half-Life 1 for Pippin?", "Mario Kart 64 for PS2?", "Every Wii U game on XBOX 360?" and drop the quote "proof" for everyone that says no.

Last time I checked, game magazines aren't the most reliable source for game info. This is the same people that said that Bungie Aerospace that had photos of this new game that Bungie was making and that it was their new Halo equivalent. Just because a game magazine throws up the idea of a Halo for Dreamcast, doesn't make it a reliable source.

8. Museman

Museman Spirited Member

9. americandad

americandad Familiar Face

So far i've seen only something that looks like proof once from Gaijira.
    1 It was announced as Mac exclusive. About it being only developed only for one console, well that's obviously not true since they were experimenting (read: developing) with ps2 according to Museman.
    The main point of this thread was to get as much info about these possibilities as possible. Obviously ODCM didn't get those claims out of thin air. Probably someone affiliated with Bungie threw the journalist something to write about, probably in private. This could mean that the associate was in a mindstorm session at Bungie or he just wanted to throw some meat to feed the lions, we don't know. But taking a Mac exclusive announcement and making it to be a MAC/PS2/DC release out of nothing isn't very charectaristic for Official DC magazine.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  10. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Why?

They want to sell magazines - papers print stuff they know isnt true or word it a certain way to make people buy, this is no different.

11. gameduder

gameduder Active Member

There was never a DC build for halo. There was a 'working' build of halo on PS2, but it was literally just driving a warthog around some hills. I'm not even sure if you could get out of the car.

At one point, Halo was going to be published by Rockstar before Microsoft bought Bungie; this is when the PS2 build was made. I'm not sure if it was made by Bungie themselves or a porting team at Rockstar. I highly doubt any playable copies survived.