[PS2/Dreamcast] Halo?

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by americandad, Jan 27, 2013.

1. americandad

americandad Familiar Face

Stumbled upon this, supposedly Halo was being developed for PS2, DC and Mac at one point in time?
    Maybe someone actually has a Katana/Dreamcast gd-r :love-struck: ??

http://forums.comingsoon.net/showthread.php?t=41075

Skip to 3:20, everything else is über level zadrot (figuratively speaking, meaning masturbation addict) talk.

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2015
  2. wombat

wombat SEGA!

"It's perfect fit for DC. But don't hold your breath". This was clearly a wishful thinking rumor written by the editors at ODM. It is however true that the game at first was in development for Mac/OSX.... until MS bought Bungie... and we all know what happened next.

3. stranno

stranno Enthusiastic Member

Uncharted also fit on Game Boy, but dont expect a prototype soon.

4. Druidic teacher

Druidic teacher Officer at Arms

x

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  5. JamesMichael

JamesMichael Light Hearted Drunk

No way this was ever in development for the DC maybe once thought of but nothing but a pipe dream.

6. DefectX11

DefectX11 Familiar Face

I can't see it ever being on the DC- Halo has some nice visuals and should be kept as such.

7. brendand

brendand Fiery Member

i see the Dreamcast being able to do the grass textures in the Xbox Halo but all those polygons no way

8. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

Guys, you aren't thinking straight. Of course it wouldnt be able to do the Xbox version of Halo, that would just be stupid. It would have been one of the earlier versions. Figure that the rumors would have been from 2000 at best, a full year before the Xbox came out.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  9. ave

ave JAMMA compatible

Halo 1 was never in development for Dreamcast, but after Halo 1 was released, Bungie briefly developed Halo 2 for Dreamcast in late 2001 because of the big success of the game and DC was still supported by Sega. That was a different Halo 2 than the one that got released for Xbox, and is now referred to as Halo 1.5 by a very small and secret dev-collector's scene to which I belong. Only me and Santa Clause have the prototype Katana discs with Halo 1.5.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  10. americandad

Of course it could have been developed for the Dreamcast, i can imagine there being a techdemo/dev version once.
    Also did you good folks not read the topic? It says PS2/Dreamcast.
    It was planned for both. And there's also a link where you can actually look at some early screenshots.

11. CrAzY

CrAzY SNES4LIFE

I highly doubt there is any PS2 builds, definitely no Dreamcast builds. Do I know for sure? No, but this seems like they were planning on which console to use while solely developing it on a PC platform.

& yes, some good folks did skim through that forum thread you linked to. All of the pictures are from a PC build, & I see no useful information or confirmation of anything in there. In fact, almost all of the information in that thread is wrong, & the ignorant post's on there remind me that ASSEMbler may be gaining more childlike user's everyday, but at least it isn't a train wreck yet.

Mystical likes this.
  12. ave

ave JAMMA compatible

So some guy inferred from some statement, that it's in development for Dreamcast - big deal. Mistakes are made all the time by journalists. As long as there are no prototypes, no official announcements and no footage, it doesn't exist. Anyone can say "I heard this" and "Yeah I confirm it", but as long as there's no proof, it's not true. And as others said, this is the first time anyone ever mentioned that Halo had been in development for Dreamcast or PS2... it was a long-term project for Mac OS and Bungie had always been developing for Mac. Why would they suddenly develop for Dreamcast, a console for which one of the major selling points to developers was its Microsoft Windows CE support?

I skimmed the entire thread you linked to and the only time it mentions the word "Dreamcast" is when some guy said that Bungie said Halo was developed for consoles. He then added "(PS2 & Dreamcast)" in brackets, as if he just made it up himself - no pictures, no nothing. To be honest, I think you're trying to create a big news out of the blue here. The news article in the Dreamcast magazine is bullshit too. Some editor just wrote that this game would be good for Dreamcast, but Mario would have been good on Dreamcast, too. Blobs.

13. Museman

Museman Spirited Member

Literally made me lol.

As everyone is saying, Halo was never developed for the Dreamcast. I think the early Bungie guys never had any desire to be on the Dreamcast just because the hardware wasn't what they wanted in a console. Jason Jones like the PS2 though, not so much the Dreamcast. They were developing Oni for the PS2 before Bungie was acquired and Rockstar finished the PS2 version.

For some reason, it is a very unknown fact that Bungie was developing Halo for the PS2 back in Spring 2000. There was a few releases from Bungie talking about it but they are in the public. I also believe it was talked about briefly in the Oh Brave New World video or on the Halo 3 limited edition disc, cant remember which one.

I know for a fact that Bungie never spent any development time on the Dreamcast, it may had been talked about but never developed for it.

14. gs37

gs37 Robust Member

For what it's worth, there was a Nintendo DS build of Halo 2...

15. Museman

Museman Spirited Member

Not sure if serious.....

That was a mod some mod team made. It was modified version of the Goldeneye game on DS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GnQU21xhlw

16. americandad

ok. this is a sensible thing to say :) .

you can't claim something you don't know as a fact. i'm saying it could have existed in some form. that's all i am saying.

Source please.
    Also source for Bungie not liking the Dreamcast H/W.

17. ave

ave JAMMA compatible

Don't just cut out parts of my statements at your convenience - I said it doesn't exist as long as there is no proof, and there is no proof for builds of Halo on PS2/DC. As of now, Halo for Dreamcast is no more than wishful thinking of some DC-fan back in the day.

18. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Things dont exist until there is proof they do.

Just because someone cant prove something DOESNT exist - doesnt automatically mean its real. Burden of proof is the other way around.

19. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

Pretty sure the only thing in the public record is that Halo was to be Windows/Mac released, until MS bought Bungie. After which it quickly became Xbox-only. I too am skeptical.

20. DeckardBR

DeckardBR Fiery Member

If I recall correctly, Halo wasn't even intended for PC at first and just Mac. It was shown off at one of the macworld presentations as an example of great Mac games that are coming. This was when it was a real time strategy game.

After that show, Bungie was sold off to Microsoft and the rest is history. Halo changed formats to a FPS and became a show off title for Xbox 1. I think the dreamcast was even done at this point as the PS 2 had already come out and was doing well.