PS2 'display sharpness' feature?

Discussion in 'Sony Programming and Development' started by ynoS XSP, Apr 13, 2016.

1. ynoS XSP

ynoS XSP Rapidly Rising Member

If I recall correctly, Silent Hill 3 on the PS2 has one option available in the display settings which toggles screen sharpness on-the-fly.

(One question comes to mind, is this related in some way to the 'display outline sharpening' option of the DVD player?)

I wonder if this graphical effect is software driven and exclusive to Silent Hill 3 game, or rather, a hardware feature which can be turned on or off by setting a specific register. If so, could it not be user-controlled via GSM, for example?

I suspect some games would benefit from this.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
    MrMario2011 likes this.
  2. Gemini

Gemini Retro developer

Didn't Silent Hill 3 simply blur the whole screen and a hidden option allowed you to disable said filter? In that case there's no sharpness at all.

3. ynoS XSP

Do you mean the 'noise effect' ? o_O

I think it's two separate things, the instruction manual actually refers to the second as a 'display mode' option to adjust the screen sharpness.

But it would be a disappoitment :oops: if it actually worked the other way round, blurring instead of sharpening, so that when blurring was at minimal picture would look "sharp" (stock sharp). :eek:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  4. root670

root670 Robust Member

The DDR games have a sharpness feature as well.

5. ynoS XSP

Interesting, perhaps it's a hardware feature after all.

@root670: I have never played those games. What do you make of the sharpening option? The visual effect is noticeable? Would you say it improves the picture quality?

6. smf

smf mamedev

I think it's unlikely there is a "secret" screen sharpening register that can be enabled on all games that makes them look better. Even if it was a secret and Silent Hill 3 developers found it, then all games afterwards would have it.

I don't know for sure, but my guess is you will be disappointed.

I don't think it's related to the DVD player, which is likely just upscaling through an algorithm that introduces new detail.

7. ynoS XSP

Sadly, konami has let me down a bit on the previous entry (silent hill 2) with their new sound technology called S-Force. No matter the type of speakers I used I could not achieve the announced audio marvel. :(

I am hoping this one may have something more than meets the eye. :p

8. Gemini

Gemini Retro developer

The blurriness is rather simple to create, even original PlayStation games did that to simulate heat effects and distortions. You would take the current framebuffer, use it as a texture and blend that in while shifting by one pixel.

9. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

Perhaps it is to disable anti-aliasing? The GS supports edge anti-aliasing.

10. ted210

ted210 Member

I'd quite like the opposite - to be able to enable edge anti-aliasing or other softening effects to smooth out those jaggies!

11. rama

rama Gutsy Member

The hardware Edge AA is quite expensive. Only few games use it on select geometry.
    If you were to force enable it on everything, it'd become unplayable.

There's also no sharpening settings anywhere.
    Developers often smoothed their games by some analog measures and sometimes they let you turn that off.

12. l_oliveira

l_oliveira Officer at Arms

That option changes the video interlace behavior. It changes how the graphics chip encodes the video signal (for CVBS and S-Video outputs) and is only meaningful for CRT displays.

13. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

So it's the flicker filter setting?

14. l_oliveira

l_oliveira Officer at Arms

Yep.

sp193 likes this.