PS2 Component & PS3 HDMI

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by zoom, Nov 8, 2019.

1. zoom

zoom Member

I've been swapping cables and experimenting, and y'know... PS2 Component is virtually as good as PS3 HDMI.

I expected the reference shot over here was going to be closer to the truth.
    https://www.psx-place.com/threads/ps3-or-ps2-to-play-ps2-games.20926/#post-140008

I've been able to reduce the difference enough that, yeah, you can possibly still find a difference, but you'll be counting grass blades. Using sturdy references, I can't tell. Items like the horizonal lines in that second overhead banner down the track, the translucent black-tint of the car interiors, and that track camera in the upper right by "NGK". You can't tell with those -- they're the same.

Which is interesting and not what I expected. Right now I think that ref shot is actually showing:

A] not-great cables
    B] not-great connectors at TV or PS2
    C] some processing by his TV

Which is fair enough - it's correct to say HDMI is easy to get right, whereas good analog can require fussing.

Worth mention:

- The first thing I found is the two sets of component inputs on the 42LK450 are different. One is just less colourful and a little less sharp. The difference is more any difference found between cables.

- Only tested two PS2 consoles, SCPH-39001 & SCPH-50010/N. No diff. The PS3 is CECHE01.

- I haven't tested an official Sony cable. I got my best result from a no-name multi-cable sold by Hauppauge. Close-second was the old Mad Catz PS2/XBOX cable, which surprised me.

2. HI_Ricky

HI_Ricky Intrepid Member

you need video wave monitor to check which cable is best