PS1 BIOS PCB's

Discussion in 'Sony Programming and Development' started by Armorant, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Armorant

Armorant Spirited Member

Hello my dearest AG users.
    Everyone who own japaneese PS1/PSOne do know that it's BIOS has some additional protection that can't be wiped out by a modchip alone, so, you have to swap it's BIOS too to be able to play non Japan region boot discs. There is no profit in taking BIOS from a working E/U region unit and there is no way to reprogram it (cause it's ROM). You also can't put PSX-XBOO no$cash BIOS there (as I wanted for a long time). Soooo...
    I made some PCB designs for using TSOP32 and PLCC32 EEPROMS, I tested these - yes, they work. I started all that about 4 mounths ago, there some PCB changes up to that day. There are about 15 mobo's I upgaraded this way already.
    ###
    The 4 thing I cared about are:
    -Support all points that modchip use (D0, CE, OE) - for PLCC32 mostly;
    -Support 3.3/5v VCC (for PLCC32);
    -Support dual BIOS installation (IC102+Caetla for example on PSOne);
    -Support X-Flash to be self-reprogrammable (as Dreamcast);
    ###
    To flash my IC's I used Willem programmer, pretty cheap. The first thing I did is flashed retail BIOS, next one is PSX-XBOO. Work.
    PLCC32 adapter tested with AM29F040 (3.3 or 5v VCC). It can be CE (0 or 2 dev) configured to be flashed by X-Flash 1.2 (but I didn't test it still).
    TSOP32 adapter tested with SST 39VF040 (3.3v VCC). Thats the main design I wanted to be dual BIOS support but it seems like X-flash can't work with such EEPROM. it see my DEV0 EEPROM and shows it's ID values (that match with ID's that Willem shows me), but it won't flash it (can't go to ROM list). Pretty sad. As far as I know there is no source code for X-Flash 1.2 tool, so there is no way to add new ID's there. Probably. Hope I'm wrong.
    P.S. The next bad thing I find out is that if you want to use Unirom v6 (as DEV0) along PSX-XBOO (as IC102) and even if you programed them well - Unirom won't work. PSX-XBOO works fine. Unirom v6 can't be (as current test said me) used standalone as IC102 configured device (without retail BIOS presented). I could be wrong, so, hope someone knows the answer - I will be happy to get some info about these issues I have.
    P.P.S. I ordered both TSOP32 and PLCC32 PCBs as cheap as possible (17$ cost plus 8$ shipment for 30+30 PCB's). I didn't use half-plated custelated holes, it's pretty expensive option. But I tried to place border lines as much as possible to these holes, they became half-cutted anyway but not edge plated:) For both designs I used 0.8mm PCB thickness. Ordered from JLPCB.
    ###
    There are some screenshots, photos and gerber files.
    Thanks to TriMesh (for all Your advices), AG and psxdev members, really love reading any info you share.
    plcc32.png tsop32.png willem.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  2. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

What's the additional bios protection on the JP system?

3. Oakleaf

Oakleaf Spirited Member

the newer bioses look for region coding on the disc, not just the wobble protection. this is awsome! will order when i get cash! this makea a jap psx so much better. this along woth the 220v mod on the psu. thanks a lot!

4. Armorant

Armorant Spirited Member

I dont't think that's about protection, probably the teams (eu/ua/j) that were involved in BIOS coding had poor connection between each other. It caused some issue/differences with disc boot sector, japaneese PS1 simply can't recognize any game with EU or US boot sector. Just J.
    ###
    Yes, these 110V PSU is a big problem. Actually I made them work with 220v already but there is much heat generates on 1 bipolar transistor. Even with heatsink. Need some time to adjust resistors to weaken its current.
    ###
    About TSOP32 pcb. It's more like labyrinth at first look but thats not. All that is for dual BIOS feature. It even gives you an option to swap dev0 and dev2 ic's by just few jumpers or 3 pin switches. Thats why there are headers and that much configuration pads. At least that was degned that way, as I said I'm still a bit confused about custom bios and dev0 working combination. If anyone will get confused by these pads - i'll be happy to explain. Probably, I'll post it's schematics, it will explain my idea (about dual bios mapping, swap etc)
    But if you just want it to use as simple IC102 replacement - all you need is just bridge CE and CS2 pads together. It's to the right of 10k Ohm resistor (0603) pads. That resistor pulls up WE pin of your TSOP32 EEPROM. As TriMesh adviced.
    ###
    And one important note about PLCC32 adapter. YOU NEED SOLDERING DRYER TO SOLDER IT!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    pool7 likes this.
  5. Oakleaf

Oakleaf Spirited Member

6. Armorant

Armorant Spirited Member

That's not for Playstation 1 but for Playstation 2 called PSX. It was made Japan only. Just type and search "DESR-7500" and you'll see what it's looks like. I did that mod 220-110 for two of my DESR, works well, but that can't be used for PS1 PSU.
    Read here:
    http://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=694&p=14008&hilit=220v#p14008
    And some schematics bellow.
    image_2018-03-11_14-22-12.png

7. Oakleaf

Oakleaf Spirited Member

aha i see, thanks. if you figure out a way to make it heat stable, I would apriciate it much if you make a post about it.

8. megavolt85

megavolt85 Peppy Member

if need help with codding PM me

Attached Files:

Armorant likes this.
  9. Oakleaf

Oakleaf Spirited Member

So i tried this with the TSOP32, and got a black screen. Chip programmed OK, solder seems fine. Thoughts? Its a jap 7500 with a US 7502 bios flashed i think.

do i need to byte swap the bios?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  10. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

No, dont byte swap. Chips are 8 bit

Armorant likes this.
  11. Armorant

Armorant Spirited Member

Hello. Did you connect (bridge) CE and CS2?
    P.S. 7502 is EU, it force PS1 to output PAL video signal at startup. Not a big deal but better put 7501 image there. That's US.

12. Oakleaf

Oakleaf Spirited Member

yup bridged ce and cs2 to the right of the resistor. tried it again with a 5000 bios. same thing. il check it more tomorow. it would be awsome to get this working!

13. Armorant

Armorant Spirited Member

-39VF040? Forward or flipped pins?
    As TriMesh wrote me:
    AM29LV040B-90EC <- Regular pinout
    AM29LV040B-90FC <- Same thing, but with the pins flipped
    I use EC, a regular pinout.
    -Is it getting warm (IC) after powering up PS1? That could be if GND and VCC connected wrong, swaped between each other.
    -Better to check every pin to be soldered correctly using multimeter. I am pretty sure that this PCB works cause I made it work already, both of these designes works actualy.

14. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

All the Japanese machines have a copy of the Japanese license sector data in the boot ROM, and it's compared with the one that's read from the disc - if it's different, even by a single byte, the machine won't boot the disc. The only exception are the early SCPH-1000s - they still have this check, but the implementation has a bug that means if it fails it just suppresses the display of the license screen rather than stopping the boot.

The PAL PSone (SCPH-102) also has the same sort of check, but obviously looking for PAL license data rather than the Japan one.

No US (SCPH-xxx1) or Asia (SCPH-xxx3) console has these checks, and they will boot discs irrespective of the contents of the license sectors. My theory is that this is because the US and Asia consoles use the same boot ROM but boot different region discs (NTSC:U/C and NTSC:J, respectively).

15. Oakleaf

Oakleaf Spirited Member

Thanks for all the support. your the best! i took another look and got it working. it was a problem with the "half holes" they became hole holes on one side in manufacturing. Befor installing i had to cut one side.

after redoing this i succeded.

also i think all consoles PAL as US NTSC can boot all regions after installing a modchip. But the Jap one cant. and the reason might well be as mentioned.

thanks again, great design!

Armorant likes this.
  16. Armorant

Armorant Spirited Member

@Oakleaf Sorry for that, that's all up to complex PCB design. To make J-consoles to just work fine there are no need in these select pads (CSx, CE...) Just wanted to make PCB's as configurable as it could. I'll suggest you to try PSX-XBOO BIOS from no$psx. I'll attach it bellow (for 256 and 512kB IC's, our is 512). That BIOS lack of PS1 famous boot screen but there is no need to use modchip, PSX-XBOO can handle on it's own. Try it.
    P.S. Oh, yeah, I'm using capton tape, I put it on the bottom of the PCB adaptor. It really helps no to short any of these holes by accident.
    P.P.S. Currently I'm trying to find some time to buy and flash attiny85 with the last PSNee. That would be probably the best modchip ever made, but I still don't get a single one. Maybe you'll better try it.
    Thank Your, I'll try it as soon as I can. Very apreciate Your offer, if I'll get stuck with one of my crazy ideas I know whom to ask.

Attached Files:

17. smf

smf mamedev

Some 60hz consoles can't switch to 50hz mode either without modification, nothing to do with region coding.

18. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

That's a specific problem with the later PU-8 boards using SGRAM. The NTSC versions have the PAL clock input on the GPU tied to ground so when you switch over to PAL mode the video output and the vblank interrupts stop.

Rewiring the board so it's like the PAL ones (both clock inputs tied together) sometimes fixes it, although I saw a number of boards that would fail to display anything when you did this, and I could never work out why.

Oakleaf likes this.
  19. Oakleaf

Oakleaf Spirited Member

so i tried the PSX-XBOO and got to the main screen. But it wont boot and if i press select i get freez and blackscreen on next boot. Might be a bad solder or am i suposed to configure the board diffrently when using psx-xboo?

Your board rocks!

20. Armorant

Armorant Spirited Member

Strange. There are no need to configure it different or do something else. I'll try to press Select on 2 of my PS1 with that BIOS. I doubt about bad soldering, maybe you use wrong rom size image?
    Globaly PSX-XBOO works two way:
    Fastboot: Disc in the drive->Turn on PS1->Disc Autoload (and you can't use menu navigation at all).
    Turning on PS1 without disc will give you an option to navigate menu, change video mode and other things. I thought the same way I did something wrong and at first 5 boots I don't get it how to handle this.