PS Vita Not Charging - Blown SMD fuse?

Discussion in 'Repair, Restoration, Conservation and Preservation' started by TwoScoops, May 30, 2014.

1. TwoScoops

TwoScoops Active Member

Heyo,

First post here. Having trouble finding detailed info for the Vita and the gents of Assembler seem to know a thing or two about hardware.

Problem: I picked up a broken Vita (Model PCH-1001) off eBay to see if I could repair it. Fast forward past the stuff I've been able to fix and the only issue I seem to have left is that the system does not seem to be charging. I've already seen all of the common issues but I think this is a deeper hardware problem.

This is being tested using a known working charger and battery out of my own fully functioning Vita.

If the (broken) Vita is off, and I plug in the charger (connected to wall outlet) the PS Light will come on as a solid orange after a few seconds. A few seconds later you'll see it kind of flick off and then back on real quick, then remain a solid orange for a couple minutes before eventually the PS Light shuts off completely. When the system is on and I plug the charger in, the battery icon on the UI does not show the little flowing electricity thing in the battery icon like it normally would.

I have tried cleaning the charge port but there does not appear to be any debris, liquid, dirt or anything in there. Looks fine. I've taken the whole Vita apart to get a better look at the charge port and don't see anything wrong.

My guess is one of the tiny SMD fuses has blown? I know there is a thing with the DS Lite where you plug it in and the charge light goes on then off and it's a common issue with the F1 and/or F2 fuses. I cannot find any information online about which fuse is what on the Vita or any specs. I'll admit I'm kind of inexperienced with a multimeter, at least on non automotive 12v etc stuff, and I think my multimeter is fairly basic. I guess I'd test the resistance for the fuses but I don't know what specific scale/setting to use lol. Charger output specs are 5v DC 1500mA.

I took this photo of the charge port location. I don't know if the forum will let you view it at original size (3008 x 2000) but if you can, you can get in there super close and see the various fuses and traces etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. dutchconsolefreak

dutchconsolefreak Peppy Member

Isn't it easier to measure the voltage on both sides of the fuses instead of the resistance, that can be influenced by other parts of the pcb?

DcVolts.jpg

Find a common ground on the pcb to connect the black and measure the voltage on both sides of the fuse with the red.

3. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

a fuse should have near 0ohm resistance, other parts wont affect it - as electricity tries to take the route of least resistance.

4. dutchconsolefreak

dutchconsolefreak Peppy Member

Thats only true when the fuse is not blown. I have had in multiple occasions that measuring the resistance while the part is still attached on the pcb it was somehow influenced, maybe because of the low voltage and current a multimeter uses to create a closed and measurable circuit.

Measuring the incoming and outgoing potential difference of the fuse gives 100% certainty.

5. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

.....which gives you the answer.

If its non zero, then you know its blown - which is the point of the test.

6. TwoScoops

TwoScoops Active Member

Thanks for the responses.

I was just thinking about this when I woke up and shouldn't I be testing for continuity? Unfortunately my multimeter doesn't have the beep thing and without the beep it's probably just some random number displayed on screen. I supposed a test light would also work so perhaps to attempt more with that.

But also I guess I was thinking of it as Bad_Ad84 suggested. Problem I'm having is I can't really seem to get consistent results. On some of them it definitely 0s out so I guess that's good, while others have different readings.

I'd love to just know which one is the one I should be testing first hah.

Last edited: May 31, 2014
  7. TwoScoops

TwoScoops Active Member

PS Vita Motherboard Tests PCH-1001 1-883-949-11

Alright well I spent more time looking at this Vita charging issue. I probed around with the multimeter and test light and recorded the readings I was getting and compared them to my own fully functioning Motherboard. Don't believe I saw any difference in readings anywhere.

The only signs of power I saw while the charger was plugged it was off one of the plug socket pins toward the right side, through the black "SB" on the right side (00.5 reading), and to the little thing right above it (~ reading). It only had power on the left side of that little thing. And had power on the solder pad directly right of that thing as well. Tested this on both the bad and good motherboards and got the same results.

Again, not super experienced with a multimeter but I'm working on it.

I'll post the pictures but also directly link them so you can hopefully zoom in all the way to read the stuff.

PS Vita Motherboard Front Readings

PS Vita Motherboard Rear Readings

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  8. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Have you tried putting your working vitas battery into the broken one?

It could be that theres nothing wrong with the vita, just that the battery is broken and the charging circuit in the vita knows it.

9. TwoScoops

TwoScoops Active Member

Yea that was one of the first things I did.

I swapped the batteries and have been using the battery from the broken Vita in my good Vita and it was dead enough that my Vita wouldn't turn on. Let it charge overnight in my Vita and it has worked fine. I think I then also swapped the batteries again to see if that fresh charge on it would make a difference but nope.

The original problem the Vita had was that the power button was stuck on. Whenever you plugged the battery in, the system would immediately turn itself on and you couldn't turn it off or anything unless you unplugged the battery. This issue was fixed by getting into the little diaphragm contact under the power button and cleaning it out. Works like a charm now.

So now I'm just stuck with this no-charging issue. Hmmm. What I find weird about it is that clearly the board is getting some sort of power from plugging the charger in because the PS Light comes on for a bit when you plug it in.

Edit: Hmmm I think I'll try putting my good motherboard into the broken Vita and see if the issue is on the board. Assuming this one turns on with my board as mine has the 3G wireless hardware stuff inside it.

10. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Lithium batteries require a charge controller. It sounds like thats where your fault is.

11. TwoScoops

TwoScoops Active Member

Well swapping my good motherboard into the rest of the hardware from the broken Vita and it is charging.

I'm thinkin you're on to something. Now to figure out what that looks like and find it on the board lol.

Thanks for the help. Waiting on your Saturn chip to arrive!

Edit: Just found this website which has some possibly helpful pictures. The two Power Management things seems like an area I should look at I guess? Unfortunately, all these chip sections have heat shields over them that appear to be soldered on around just about the whole thing. Ehhh.

PS Vita Teardown

[​IMG]

Edit 2: And we're into the Power Management department. Luckily (or not?) the shield frame is soldered or something to the board but the general shield can be carefully unclipped, which was rather tricky to do.

... Now what? lol Only a couple microscopic things have possible part numbers on them. Even if I was able to identify the faulty chip here, I'm not sure I'd have the skills or tools to replace it. But we're learning things so F it.

High Res PS Vita Power Management Picture

[​IMG]

12. TwoScoops

TwoScoops Active Member

PS Vita Electronic Parts Teardown List from IHS

Well I think we kind of struck gold. I was on the verge of giving up on this because I can't really identify or test any of the stuff on the board it's so tiny.

IHS PS Vita Electronic Parts Teardown List

Original Website (for missing URL links)

Behold! A complete PS Vita parts spreadsheet! Courtesy of IHS. I don't know if this was on that other IHS teardown site I found early, I didn't see it, but I came across this on a different site, neatly tucked away at the bottom. I copied it out of their somewhat difficult to use built-in list thing on the site and into a Google Spreadsheet.

There are a couple items in there that seem like they could be it? I don't know exactly what I'm looking for, just something like Bad_Ad84 suggested a charge controller or something. Next hard part is figuring out which is what on the board without identify marks. But if I can search the part # then perhaps I can find a picture of it.

[TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD]Main PCB, Top[/TD]
    [TD]Power Supply[/TD]
    [TD]Integrated Circuit[/TD]
    [TD]Analog[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]1[/TD]
    [TD]Texas Instruments[/TD]
    [TD]bq27520YZF[/TD]
    [TD]Battery Fuel Gauge - System-Side, w/ Integrated LDO, for Single Li-Ion Cell[/TD]
    [TD]TI 18A123I, SN27520S1 (Die Marking: BDQ035, M 2009)[/TD]
    [TD]Flip Chip[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]15[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]0.5[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]2.61[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]1.96[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]0.6[/TD]
    [TD]Visit URL
    [/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

This sound like something I'm looking for?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  13. Homer575

Homer575 Newly Registered

I know this thread is old but I have to put this on the net somewhere since I could not find anything when trying to fix my ps vita. So I bought a super cheap vita off of ebay for $22. The thing is in great shape but would not turn on, when pluged in it would light up solid orange forever. Checked the boards, cleaned a little corrosion off, tried again, same thing. Checked the battery, voltage and amps checked out. Tried everything I could think of and nothing would work, until I found this post. Since you did it I got the courage and took off the metal covers over all of the chips and processer. Then I did my last ditch effort and reflowed both sides of the board (primitive reflow with a heat gun). I did not have much hope for this but I'll be darned it worked. The thing turns on and works.
    I know a lot of other people are experiencing similar problems with the vita not charging right or not turning on at all, before you call it a brick try this, it's worth it. :) :) :)