Prototopia 2.0

Discussion in 'File Downloads - Share and Request' started by DevHackr, Jan 25, 2017.

1. DevHackr

DevHackr Enthusiastic Member

So obviously I have been very busy, which has left Prototopia unupdated for a long time. I'd like to correct this, as I haven't had much chance to. I'm also interested in finding a new distribution method, perhaps torrents. I need some input and such. I'd even consider a goal of duplicating the archive in full in order to mail it out via snailmail. Can we find a better way to do this?

SILENT_Pavel, good, CodeAsm and 2 others like this.
  2. D_Ban

D_Ban Robust Member

Torrent's would work but the issue is it's public which could cause risks. Mediafire's pretty slow these days which blows :( The other issue is the huge amount of data there is on v1. We're talking 4GB for most files if not more. There must be a terabyte or more on v1.

Private servers/ftp might work but this would cost. I know @drx @Knuckles500 have been saving a ton over at HiddenPalace.org but even they're hitting storage limits. If private servers became an option we'd have to make sure the bills are paid. I know a place that does budget servers and 2TB would set you back around £17/month (EDIT: €227.84 per year including setup fee's) per server but this would be complete control over the data/os/software. You won't get ground breaking specs or ram and it's a 100MBIT port but that should be fine for most people. A system would likely need coding to hide it away from public view.

Filehosts are pretty much dead these days. Mega puts lame file limits etc. I've been saving what I can locally but I've not got the space really. I've got a 1TB server but even that's nearly full of data.

Maybe a new form of compression needs to be made? It has to be possible to do. I managed to compress Windows Vista to 10MB once but this doesn't work on all iso's/formats.

What is the total size of v1 by chance?

EDIT 2: Another idea, CoLocation might be cheaper if we bought the servers ourselves and rented space at a datacenter.

Downfall: We'd have to manage hardware i.e if a HDD fails we'd have to buy and replace it ourselves.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
    good and Chagosan like this.
  3. derekb

derekb Well Known Member

Yeah, I like torrents, but they do potentially expose users if an agency gets on at the same time since your ip isn't masked.

D_Ban likes this.
  4. pool7

pool7 Site Supporter 2014

Another problem with torrents is getting people to seed regularly and for long periods

D_Ban likes this.
  5. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

To add to the snowball lame ass internet providers sometime throttle torrent downloads. You know, because they are solely used for illegal file sharing, right?

I like the private server/ftp idea. Set up a donation system or something.

Digmac and D_Ban like this.
  6. Pea2nuts

Pea2nuts Spirited Member

Find someone who really knows what they are doing and make an onion site. Would not recommend making an ftp.

7. pstrick1

pstrick1 Site Supporter

How much data is there?
    Do you actually have it stored locally?

I honestly don't think you're going to get enough in donations to keep a private ftp server or the like online.
    Torrents are you only option. Doesn't everybody have seedboxes these days? If the data is worth sharing, somebody will be seeding it.

8. Digmac

Digmac Removed for Not Reuploading Juiced Fast Enough

Getting too close to the deep web IMO.

Zant and XboxSurgeon like this.
  9. Pea2nuts

Pea2nuts Spirited Member

By definition, a private ftp would be deep web too. The difference is, if properly configured, nobody could find the location of the server for the onion site.

10. DevHackr

DevHackr Enthusiastic Member

The total size last I checked was like 600-700ish GB. I HAVE strongly considered a FTP, as I plan on vastly increasing my speed and bandwidth in the future. However I was considering a 24/7 streaming site dedicated to old television. So it's difficult. Plus I cannot run the FTP from any PC in my network, it's not practical. Unless someone has an extra junker PC laying about that they could donate, but then I worry about exposing myself to DDOS. Lots of concerns. But I am very open to people buying HDDs and sending them to me, I copy the archive, I send it back. You cover shipping and I'll do it for free. But again that's a headache in bulk. So please, I am always open to suggestions

SILENT_Pavel, Digmac and D_Ban like this.
  11. D_Ban

D_Ban Robust Member

Could always make a CMS system in PHP that way we could use a random domain and reverse proxy it meaning we use say cloudflare, vps which doesn't host data but in turn links to another hidden server which in turn connects back to cloudflare or something. Not sure if this would be possible but I know you can Cloudflare > VPS/PROXY > Server as I've done that before.

12. XboxSurgeon

XboxSurgeon Site Supporter Since 2013

Considering this would be preserving gaming history, this is basically what the initial intention of AG was/is, I would think perhaps the big man himself or his knights would have an idea to save this venture. A site wide fund raiser would more than likely work but then how to implement it....

The King

Sir Retro

Sir Hex

Sir Borman

CodeAsm likes this.
  13. rso

rso °

Add some terms asking the receiver to make, if asked, at least three copies for other people. Then pass (some of) the next requests on to him. Basic by-the-book snowball system ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Ask the Tombstone and Rom-Burner guys from the MAME scene how they're doing it.

(BINGO!) You'd still need the storage, that costs money so you'd want some form of constant revenue stream to cover it... And once money's involved, people tend to take note.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  14. Professional

Professional Halo guy

I have a Mega account with 1TB space, so if you would like to host it on a shared mega account with premium and no limits let me know.

The ability to import directly to it also makes it great for if people want to contribute to the collection because you won't need to do the work of re-uploading it :)

15. pool7

pool7 Site Supporter 2014

Out of curiosity: what happens if you import a file from someone else, and then the original uploader deletes it from his/her account?

16. D_Ban

D_Ban Robust Member

Problem is Mega isn't secure. There was a major databreach recently and user info/code was stolen from Mega. Along with that the Goverment have taken control and even the original founder has declared the service unsafe to use.

This is why we're looking at non file host options as all these lame sites end up hacked/shutdown/taken over by the goverment.

pool7 and Professional like this.
  17. Professional

Professional Halo guy

It stays imported, only the original uploader doesn't have it up.
    I see your point.

pool7 likes this.
  18. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

Partner with a big emulation site. They deal with the copyright stuff already.

19. Professional

Professional Halo guy

I remember one of them had a bunch of original xbox games and other ones that most of the other sites don't have, I will try to think of the name but that one will probably be one of the best bets for this.

20. rso

rso °

Was it sth to do with a "dome of pleasure"? If so, I can tell you that they deal by simply not carrying/allowing any of the more recent stuff at all.

CodeAsm and Professional like this.