Proposed standardization

Discussion in 'Wiki Forum' started by retro, Feb 28, 2014.

1. retro

retro Moderator Staff Member

I thought it might be an idea to discuss a standardization of the wiki to keep a level of uniformity to the pages.

The proposed standardization serves several purposes:

• To help readers (with uniformity throughout the wiki).
    • To help writers (with back-end uniformity also).
    • To help SEO.

I've touched on a few points in the read first thread, but I thought it best to bring them to a new thread. I'll make some suggestions, and I hope the community will add anything they feel might help, even if just agreeing or disagreeing with me!

Layout design

It's clear that there will need to be some kind of standard layout design. The default DokuWiki look isn't the best, but it's not bad... certainly helped by careful use of the syntax. Before you create or edit pages, make sure you're familiar with it!

The most important thing to get to grips with is...

Sectioning

Using headlines is pretty simple. There are five levels, and you create them by putting your headlines in equals symbols. This ranges from the main headline (6 symbols) down to the smallest (2 symbols). For example:

====== Xbox Development ======

===== Hardware =====

When you have three headlines, a Table of Contents will be created automatically. This seems to work on three levels. This is quite useful to remember, as you can hide lesser items from the TOC.

[HR][/HR]

I've cleaned a few things up. Firstly, the Development Systems Wiki menu:

http://wiki.assemblergames.com/doku.php?id=development_systems

As you can see, I've used three levels of headline - the main title, the manufacturer names, and the word handhelds. This gives a nice TOC that's not too overwhelming and is useful to get to the section you want quickly. I wouldn't usually use the main headline size twice, but it helped to balance the TOC.

Another thing I've cleaned up is...

Links

Again, links are simple to use. At their simplest, you just enclose your text in two square brackets, e.g.

[[Link]]

This will link to the page Link, and display Link.

Where this may be undesirable, you can separate the link and the text:

[[link|Sample Text]]

You can take this further, and go to a section of a page using a hash symbol (pound symbol to the Americans):

[[sample_page#sample_section|Sample Text]]

[HR][/HR]

Something else I cleaned up was...

Lists

Lists are easy to create - simply press space twice, then use an asterisk. Write your text. When you press enter, you will go to the next line with an asterisk.

If you want to indent in the list, press space again after the asterisk.

It is a good idea to keep lists tidy for the sake of those editing, although DokuWiki will automatically understand where you want things. It's probably a good idea to keep your code to two spaces, asterisk, one space - and line everything up. So (ignore the coloured underscores if you can see them... vBulletin formatting for you!)...

__* List 1
    __* List 2
    ____* Sublist 1

[HR][/HR]

I've also created a Sega Saturn Development page. This might be useful as the basis for a formatting guideline, perhaps.

http://wiki.assemblergames.com/doku.php?id=sega_saturn_development

Obviously, it doesn't have pictures at the moment, although they'd probably be best served on the pages for the specific items.

One last point...

Referencing

On the Sega Saturn Development page, I created a copy of Wikipedia's Main Article link. You have to use this manually. Here's how:

***//Main article: [[address_checkers|Address Checkers]]//

Note that the three asterisks represent blank spaces. You can't use space in DokuWiki, so use ALT+255 three times.

[HR][/HR]

What do we actually want to use the pages referenced in the menus for?

The side menu roughly echoes the Development Systems Wiki menu. Are they separate? Should they be used to talk about the retail consoles, variants, specifications etc.? Then maybe add a link to the main development article? And how do we want to structure those? I would suggest (as I started doing with Saturn) that the console name should be a general overview of development on that console - these dev kits are available, this software is available, here are some tutorials... something like that. Then the dev kit pages contain more information on the specific kits, and are linked from the menu and the main page.

Standardizing text

Console names

As certain console names often get spelt with varying degrees of capital letters, spaces and hyphens, it would be nice to keep console names the same throughout the wiki. I would suggest:

3DO
    3DS
    CD-ROM² (use ALT+0178 for the squared symbol, not superscript 2)
    CDX (see Multi-Mega)
    DSi
    Game Boy
    Game Boy Advance
    Game Boy Color
    Game Gear
    GameCube
    LaserActive
    Mega Drive
    Multi-Mega (see CDX)
    PC Engine CoreGrafx
    PC Engine CoreGrafx II
    PC Engine GT
    PC Engine SuperGrafx
    PC-FX
    PlayStation
    PS Vita (official abbreviation of PlayStation Vita)
    SC-3000
    Sega Mark III
    SG-1000
    TurboGrafx-16
    TurboGrafx-CD
    TurboGrafxExpress
    Wii U
    Wondermega
    X'Eye
    Xbox

Anything I may have missed or got wrong, let us know!

Where there are alternate names for a system (for example, in different countries), there were several joiners. On the Development Systems page, I chose to use 1 / 2 as opposed to 1/2, 1\2 or 1 - 2 (as had been used throughout). We might want to decide which looks best.

I'm not sure some systems should be on there - at least on the Development Systems page. For example, Amstrad Mega PC. Was anything ever developed for this? It's a PC... and a Mega Drive. It just runs their games, nothing specifically for itself. As there won't be any sub-links with specific dev hardware, maybe we could lose it. Anything else that's superfluous?

Can someone clarify on the Tomy Pyu-ta? I thought it was called the Tomy Tutor, but originally Pyuuta, not pyu-ta. Admittedly, it wasn't in a Western alphabet!

What do we want to call NES and SNES as main headings? NES and SNES because it's popular? NES and Super NES? Super NES isn't popular in the UK... maybe Super Nintendo? Nintendo Entertainment System and Super Nintendo Entertainment System? Or Famicom and Super Famicom, as they came first?

Link / pagenames

Note that pagenames are converted to lower case automatically. Spaces are also converted to underscores automatically. However, it looks tidier to write them correctly. I would, therefore, propose that links are written like this:

[[sample_console_name__model_1000|Sample Console Name Model 1000]]

What I would like to open to discussion, and hopefully resolve at an early stage (as I've already messed up a bit) - how should we best name pages?

I thought that sony_playstation_2_development was a bit long-winded. Maybe drop the Sony? In most cases, that shouldn't be a problem. Or do we simplify and use a popular abbreviation, where available? Like ps2_development. Sounds good to me.

Only problem - I already edited what was there for Saturn - sega_saturn_development, not saturn_development! We can get around this, but it would be an idea to make a universal decision before loads of articles are written and the links look non-standard, for SEO and readability.

I do have a warning that needs to be considered. I've taken steps to minimize damage in most cases, but not all.

There were several Psy-Q development kits. so if you created [[psy-q]] in the menu under Saturn, it can't be used for PlayStation. What I did was create [[psy-q]] as a landing page to describe the series, then link from the menu (and the landing page) to the various systems - [[snes_psy-q]], [[megadrive_psy-q]] etc. When creating a manual internal link, you have to make sure you name it correctly, or someone might end up editing the wrong page!

2. ASSEMbler_archived

ASSEMbler_archived Pillar of the Community ****

Excellent contribution. I vote for this.

What we need for the impatient is a template page they can copy and paste.

3. retro

Indeed. If we can decide what a template might consist of, that would be easy enough.

My thoughts are probably a few templates, with minor differences.

1. Template for the sidebar items.

Maybe something more generic regarding retail consoles, with branches to the dev/mod sections. I assume we're staying away from a Wikipedia-style article on the console, but incorporate some elements perhaps, e.g. tech specs, retail console revisions.

2. Template for the Development Systems main categories (e.g. Nintendo 64).

Something like I did for Saturn, perhaps (Intro, Hardware [basic info linking to hardware pages], Software [Main, Retail e.g. Lightwave, Homebrew], anything relevant to using the entire range of dev kits rather than a specific kit e.g. SH2 assembly] and such).

3. Template for the Development Systems subcategories (e.g. Silicon Graphics Ultra 64).

Another to discuss what would be common categories for any dev kit. I guess Title, Intro, Picture, Package Contents, Boot-up procedure etc.

4. Template for landing pages not in the menu (e.g. Psy-Q).

This might need a few templates, or the decision to use Interwiki links, which I've been trying to avoid so far. Pages could be made for software houses, hardware manufacturers etc. so either a few templates, or one very generic one - perhaps with elements that can be explained and deleted as necessary.

5. Template for Modchip wiki.
    6. Template for System Modification wiki.
    7. Template for Unreleased and Beta wiki.

I'm sure someone will suggest something for these!

Once decisions have been made on what a template requires and other such standards, we could add it to the Development Log on the home page, or a similar page... and have a section for templates.

4. retro

OK, I've created some preliminary templates:

Naming conventions

ASSEMblergames Wiki naming conventions for ensuring uniformity in console names etc.

I may have left some things out. It's not really intended to be a list of everything released, just an indicator of whether it's Mega Drive, Megadrive or MegaDrive and so on. A few systems I left off that were in the menu, in some cases because they had little to do with games (Tomy Tutor, for example - I doubt we want to list every home micro, as that's straying from the purpose of the wiki). I'll look back over the list and see if anything else is needed. Feel free to make suggestions.

As for the NES / SNES debate, for now I've put NES and Super Nintendo or SNES.

One interesting thing - I can't find any supporting evidence that the Mega-CD II was ever called Sega CD II or Sega CD 2 in America. The manual only ever seems to refer to it as Sega CD. Can anyone prove otherwise? Or should we be calling it simply Sega CD? If so, does MK-4101 differentiate it from the tray-loading model? I can't find the model number for that Sega CD as I don't have one boxed with manual etc.

Development Format

Development Format Template for the system as a whole (e.g. Sega Dreamcast).

I've also experimented with a slightly modified version of this as a placeholder for Game Boy. I don't know whether this is a good idea (in case someone misses the template and to ensure the URL is formatted as required) or a bad idea (as it makes the link go green in the list, which might make someone think it exists and not bother checking. Careful checking that the URL format is as required is needed for this, too).

Standards for creating wiki pages

ASSEMblergames Wiki Standards

This page is in development, as I haven't added short codes for a lot of development systems as yet.

I'll add more templates when I get time.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  5. SamLucille

SamLucille Newly Registered

One interesting thing - I can't find any supporting evidence that the Mega-CD II was ever called Sega CD II or Sega CD 2 in America. The manual only ever seems to refer to it as Sega CD. Can anyone prove otherwise? Or should we be calling it simply Sega CD? If so, does MK-4101 differentiate it from the tray-loading model? I can't find the model number for that Sega CD as I don't have one boxed with manual etc

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2014
    shark69 likes this.
  6. retro

That's why I didn't call it that on my list ;-)

Incidentally, you seem to be linking a video sharing site at the end of all your posts, "hidden" as a full stop (period if you're American). It's being flagged up by our anti-spam system and a moderator has to manually approve your posts before they become visible. Please refrain from doing this - the link is completely irrelevant to the conversation, so it should not be included in a post. Thanks!