Project Dream SNES Prototype

Discussion in 'Rare and Obscure Gaming' started by OniLink99999, Jun 7, 2015.

1. badinsults

badinsults Peppy Member

Grant Kirkhope released the music for the unreleased N64 version of Dream on his website. At least we have that. The game eventually morphed into Banjo Kazooie, so it would be difficult to say how "complete" it was. It doesn't sound like the SNES version was that advanced.

2. May Contain Nuts

May Contain Nuts Newly Registered

Tim Stamper is no longer associated with Rare, since he left in 2007. He's started a new studio called FortuneFish who make mobile games. Why would he be promoting a game from a studio he no longer has anything to do with?

3. MisterEnthusiast

MisterEnthusiast Robust Member

@badinsults The SNES version of Dream wasn't advanced by today's standards you mean, but I can only imagine that, and from the way Mr. Kirkhope described it, the graphical detail is more brilliant than in the Donkey Kong Country games.

4. Zoinkity

Zoinkity Site Supporter 2015

I think what he meant was that the game's development didn't progress terribly far on the SNES before they moved to N64 development. Pre-rendered graphics were getting progressively better; would have been really cool to see how far they could have pushed it. That they even managed to get such clarity from the prg on GameBoy is stunning.

Not everything is about money. Why mention all those awesome games he had a hand in are in one big bundle now? It's cool when people play your awesome games.

5. badinsults

badinsults Peppy Member

Yes, by "not advanced" I clearly meant "not far into development". This is Rare we are talking about, everything they did got delayed.

6. Conker2012

Conker2012 Intrepid Member

Yes. And it showed in the quality of most of their games. I wish other games companies would delay a game, even for a couple of years, if it meant that the game would end up much better. I read an interview somewhere with an ex-Rare employee, who said that Rare used to tell the people who were working on a game, to experiment as they went along with any ideas that they came up with, even if it meant potential delays. As opposed to most companies (probably even Rare, now) who basically start with a game design, and allow few additions or changes as their main priority is to get the game finished and out of the door when the marketing team say it should be released.

7. BookWyrm

BookWyrm Member

Most of the triple A games could have used a bit of a that kind of thinking.

Also on a slightly different note on eBay there is an auction for some things dealing with project dream.

8. Bobo Mcloud

Bobo Mcloud Robust Member

I don't want to derail this thread but do you mind elaborating on this auction please?

9. MisterEnthusiast

@BookWyrm You're pulling our legs, right?

10. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

Link(s) please? Although we could search on our own...

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  11. Bramsworth

Bramsworth Well Known Member

Bobo Mcloud likes this.
  12. MisterEnthusiast

Oh my God, would you look at that! That floppy has a little image of Edison, too!

13. Gamesquest1

Gamesquest1 <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

they are pretty cool, i doubt i would win anything he has up, but at least i know i was the highest bidder on the banjo kazooie concept stuff for a little while :D

good luck to anyone bidding on these bits yeah not ground breaking stuff, but cool little bits and its good its for charity :)

14. justice99

justice99 Spirited Member

15. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

Too bad they only ship to UK..

16. justice99

justice99 Spirited Member

I will ship to most places, Europe, North America, Australasia. If you live somewhere else, please just ask. Postage will obviously cost you more, but I'm also happy to combine it if you win multiple items.

From ebay auctions, he edited descriptions.

BTW: Blank 3.5" Sprite Disc means that the disk is empty?

17. Bramsworth

Bramsworth Well Known Member

Yeah that floppy is definitely empty going by the description.

In other news, Tim has updated his Twitter. Ice key is buried now. I wonder if he's building up to a specific date, or if he's just milking this as long as he can until he gets bored.

18. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

Ahh, excellent. I missed that.

19. BookWyrm

BookWyrm Member

Sorry I had not meant that to be a tease. I
    did not realize that that my post was posted in an unfinished form. I believed I had put the link.

20. Bobo Mcloud

Bobo Mcloud Robust Member

Unfortunately even though he says he will ship, you cant bid on it unless you have a UK address, I've asked for him to change though.