Power Supply For a Few Retro Consoles

Discussion in 'Repair, Restoration, Conservation and Preservation' started by BlockABoots, Jul 21, 2016.

1. BlockABoots

BlockABoots Gutsy Member

I need a power adapter for a Japanese (or could be Asian...are these different?) MegaDrive and also a Famicom AV console.

What are the correct voltage, amp, tip polarity and barrel size for these 2 systems please?

2. Fuel

Fuel Rapidly Rising Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does it show you the necessary input voltages on the label of the console?

3. BlockABoots

BlockABoots Gutsy Member

labels are warn off, also i dont think it tells you the barrel size needed

4. rso

rso °

Two minutes of Google say that the Famicom AV can be used with a normal Famicom supply. The correct voltage/polarity for that and the Mega Drive PSU should not be hard to find on your own either.

That leaves the barrel size, but even if you should be unable to find that info, you could get yourself an universal power supply and find the correct one by trial and error.

5. BlockABoots

BlockABoots Gutsy Member

So AV Famicom then, 10v, 850ma and center pin negative just leaves the barrel size

And MegaDrive seems to be 10v 1.2a and center pin negative again just leaves the barrel size

6. luke9511

luke9511 Active Member

i cannot remember off the top of my head but i think it was gametechus on youtube was repair the power supple of a nintendo top loader and in it i remember him mentioning the barrel size, i will scan through a couple of videos to see if i can find it

7. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

off the top of my head, I believe they are both 2.5mm

skyway1985 likes this.
  8. BlockABoots

BlockABoots Gutsy Member

Thanks!. Came across this site.....http://en.retrogamesupply.com/

Noticed that even though the original PSU's were 10v they only seem to stock 9v, would this have any ill effect on the systems at all using a lower voltage??

9. rso

rso °

Verify this before plugging anything in, but I think it's Famicom: 9V DC, NES: 10V AC