Potential unreleased DC game... MS Flight Combat Simulator!

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by psobb2009, Aug 10, 2019.

1. psobb2009

psobb2009 Rising Member

I have builds of an un-released Dreamcast game I found on a Katana that I've never been able to make work... I assume someone here can help make bootable images of these? (Microsoft Flight Combat Simulator, there's a thread deep in the Dreamcast section on AG about it... :) Just want to get it shared, and playable if possible, to find out exactly what it is...)

Who wants to help see if this is playable?

From the AG thread:
    The main partition had about 1.6gb of stuff on it, all related to Microsoft's Flight Combat Simulator (was that ever released for DC? Either officially or unofficially...). It seems to be a bunch of small 'test' and 'sample' builds, but there's one 500+mb folder and one 800+mb folder, so it might have something playable on it... (Drive makes odd noises occasionally, that made me nervous, so my first priority was getting everything off. Copied off all visible files, and then a complete clone of the drive. Most of the drive was used by existing files, but I'll still do data recovery on the unused portion, just in case...)

And the system appears to have originally come from KCEA's Honolulu studio...
    Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator (for Dreamcast)

Original: Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator (for PC)

This version is not straightly ported. 100% of the code were re-writen, 85% of the data is created newly.

Director / lead programmer:
    Hiroyuki Chiwata
    Link: https://www.obscuregamers.com/threads/potential-unreleased-dc-game-ms-flight-combat-simulat

2. corrigo

corrigo Active Member

3. Psycho

Psycho We've gone plaid!

Anthony817 likes this.
  4. arnoldlayne

arnoldlayne Resolute Member

And this is where I eat a very big slice of humble pie.

The owner of the devkit posted about it here years ago and nobody seemed to show any interest at all. I remember personally bumping the thread at least twice to get some interest... nothing.

Now I've had a look at the ObscureGamers thread and seeing the enthusiasm and help that's gone into salvaging the game - it's now almost up and running by the looks of things.

Remember that the total lack of interest here was way, way, before any of the troubles started. It still puzzles me that the community here was so utterly disinterested in this when it appeared.

Excellent work ObscureGamers and all involved - and so happy to see this project resurrected and a possible lost DC game unearthed.

5. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

To be fair, the original thread slipped me completely by until almost was said and done towards the end of 2015. My Dreamcast had died by that point and never got around to repairing it with a GDEMU until 2018. If I would have seen it when it was posted sooner I would have lost my mind over it as I am a huge Dreamcast, and Flight Simulator fan.

6. darcagn

darcagn Site Supporter 2013, Site Supporter 2014

Yeah I definitely would have been interested in this title, and would have offered to help as much as I could, but I didn't even know about it until this week. After all, the discussion was tucked into someone else's thread named nothing about the game title.

Anthony817 likes this.
  7. Psycho

Psycho We've gone plaid!

Yeah, in fairness to those that missed it completely, it was a total thread hijack.. If you weren't searching for the title you'd never find it...
    I should have started a new thread here, back then, with the title I used on OG... That likely would have gotten more interest going. And I had interested parties even back then, but life (and laziness) got in the way, and I kind of forgot all about it... If it wasn't for this forum threatening to close and making me create a new account on OG I probably still wouldn't have jumped back into it...

But it's not lost, just delayed, so no real harm done. :)

LuizNai, TerdFerguson and Anthony817 like this.
  8. darcagn

darcagn Site Supporter 2013, Site Supporter 2014

Well I'm glad things changed then.

If anyone else out there is reading this sitting on a devkit, it doesn't matter what's on it, even a retail released game with one line of code changed from retail release... I'm INTERESTED!

LuizNai, arnoldlayne and Anthony817 like this.
  9. Dreamcast

Dreamcast Intrepid Member

Any update on this, @Psycho ? I know it's being worked on and the update this past Wednesday over at OG showed a screenshot, so it's working to some degree, but it's these long silences that are the most worrisome since that's when it seems things like this drop off the radar and are never heard from again. I'm staying on top of this one because I really liked this game on PC back in the day playing it, and the follow-up, Pacific Theater.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    Anthony817 and LuizNai like this.
  10. Psycho

Psycho We've gone plaid!

Just piecing it all together now. Sizious got both builds to run (one is earlier and more development in nature, with text information on the screen and such), and a couple of tiny test/sample builds of animation. I'm going to get them all together in one archive and release all of it just so it's all kept together.
    This week for sure! :)

11. Dreamcast

Awesome work to both of you! Thank you so much for releasing this in its entirety!

LuizNai likes this.
  12. Dreamcast

@Psycho The forum you posted the link to download over at OG is hidden from non-members. I'm not signing up over there just yet - can you please PM me the link?

Syclopse likes this.
  13. Psycho

Psycho We've gone plaid!

Haha, no worries, here it is for everyone:
    https://we.tl/t-tIcwa2AmZO
    Temporary link, but gets it out there!
    There's an .nfo that explains all the files.

oldengineer, Syclopse, pitito and 4 others like this.
  14. fafadou

fafadou Enthusiastic Member

clearly an amazing release !

LuizNai likes this.
  15. Dreamcast

I highly recommend viewing the "Challenge" mission names.

Here they are:
    • Take Off Eh Hoser
    • Crazy Flight
    • Crash Landing
    • Loopty Loopty Loop
    • Zero Gravity Acrobatics
    • Wife Evasion
    • Tequila Shot Training
    • Final Challenge!
    • CHICKEN RUN
    • HOT WHEELS RACE CHALLENGE

rey1178 likes this.
  16. MastaG

MastaG Rapidly Rising Member

So anyone who posted a video of it somewhere?

17. Dreamcast