Possible to move saved Master System games from Everdrive MD to Master Everdrive?

Discussion in 'Everdrive Master System - Master Everdrive' started by YAGRS, Jun 19, 2012.

1. YAGRS

YAGRS Rising Member

I'm sure that this has been answered somewhere, but I haven't found an answer.

I've been playing the re-translated version of Phantasy Star on my Everdrive MD. I would like to be able to transfer my game over to my Master Everdrive, as I have my Master System modded for FM sound. I haven't figured out how to do this or if it is possible. I don't see where the SMS games are saved on the Everdrive MD. I thought maybe they were saved as part of the ROM, but when I moved the ROM from the Everdrive MD to the Master Everdrive, the saved game didn't transfer with it.

So, is it possible to move saved games between the two Everdrives?

2. KRIKzz

KRIKzz Well Known Member

each even byte should be removed, but i don't know any ready to use tools which can do that

3. YAGRS

YAGRS Rising Member

Okay, so probably not worth the trouble. Thanks for responding!

4. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

You wanna remove each even or uneven byte? Just like deinterlacing lines in an image and throwing away one of the two?
    That's actually pretty easy to do in c++...

5. KRIKzz

KRIKzz Well Known Member

right

6. -=FamilyGuy=-

Quick dirty code, it asks for an input file and spits out a file named "even" and one name "uneven", you can guess why. Indexation starts from 0, so the first byte is in the "even" file.

I can't give you a windows binary (.exe) right now as I don't have access to a windows computer (linux here), but I've tested it and it works fine. I'd suggest using the IDE Code::Blocks to compile if you don't know how to do so.

[EDIT]
    Found an online compiller and tested using wine: http://www.onlinecompiler.net/upload/tmp/P5RpbuJZ.exe
    This is the link directly from the online compiler, hence the weird name.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  7. YAGRS

YAGRS Rising Member

Well, I tried this, but I got an error when I attempted to run the exe file.

8. -=FamilyGuy=-

Could you try compiling it on your system? I think installing the codeblocks IDE, opening the file with it and pressing F9 would do the trick.

Else you can send me the file and I'll send you back the resulting two files.

@KRIKzz, is the save file interlaced in the rom? Is its size the same as the game? Or is this simply one of the step to retreive the save file?

Thank you!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  9. YAGRS

YAGRS Rising Member

Okay, I later found that there was a separate file saved for Phantasy Star on the Everdrive MD, but I don't think that's the case for the Master Everdrive. So, I'm not sure which file you would run the script on.

I ended up just starting a new game on my Master System. I wasn't all that far into the game.