Possible PSX Unix Workstation?

Discussion in 'Rare and Obscure Gaming' started by mastrsushi, Apr 19, 2014.

1. mastrsushi

mastrsushi Newly Registered

These Sony NeWs workstations from the early 90's share some resemblence to the PSX dev kit prototype
    First off the appearance is strikingly similar to the prototype dev kits, and they both feature MIPS R3000 CPU archetecture.
    So I'm wondering is the dev kit in the first picture actually a NeWs workstation with adapter plugins for psx controllers or just share the same case design.
    untitled-5_03.jpg Sony_NEWS_Workstation_(1993).jpg Sony_NeWS_NWS-3710_01.JPG

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
    gwald likes this.
  2. kyo86sg

kyo86sg Intrepid Member

Omg thanks for the pics and information, could I ask if the last picture belongs to you? This is something new to me at least...

3. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

I have some sony alpha hardware. They tended to borrow pieces from whatever they had around.

The early PSX board set was huge, and had network interface boxes. It was rack mounted, so it sort of had terminals
    to access it. I had the privilege of seeing one up close once.

I am guessing the news shell or design may have been a base for that network box to access the large rack mount playstation hardware.
    More than likely the chassis provided a convenient power supply and board mount, the hole cut in the front for the controller says it all really.

4. Unknown-Organization

Unknown-Organization <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

I have seen the controller before. I'm not expert on this but this controller is not just a dev kit only because you can buy it in retail shop which i have seen few times in the late 90's and often on ebay.

other hand this hardware kit indeed interesting but I believe they both share almost same case. This is the best news on assembler site so far :)

[​IMG]

These pictures does not belong to original poster. I have seen pictures before couple years ago.
    This kit is nothing new but still interesting though.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  5. niall

niall Active Member

Sony tended to re-use existing case designs for other hardware e.g. PVM and KV series CRTs late 80s early 90s - it may just be cosmetic and part of their branding than any hint inside.

6. Tripredacus

Tripredacus Peppy Member

7. NetYaroze

NetYaroze Robust Member

oooh that yellowing! kill the sun, please! XD ...but, thanks for these pics!!!!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  8. geluda

geluda <B>Site Supporter 2012</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

Very interesting! What exactly are these used for? Are the Sony Playstation hardware?

9. XxHennersXx

XxHennersXx I post here on the toilet sometimes.

Very cool but like Assembler said, they probably just used a case and power supply they already had for the early hardware. Not uncommon to see companies do that.

10. artillery_ghosted

artillery_ghosted Gutsy Member

pics pls

11. mrpippy

mrpippy Newly Registered

Eurogamer had an interesting quote from Dominic Mallinson (lead programmer for WipEout at Psygnosis in PSX days, now VP R&D SCEA):

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-20-years-of-playstation-the-making-of-wipeout