Possible betas of system shock 2 and thief 2 for dreamcast found!

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by cOcO!, Apr 28, 2010.

1. LeGIt

LeGIt I'm a cunt or so I'm told :P

This is why I also said the intellectual property owner might... which would be the company which has the rights to the System Shock or Thief franchises.

Good reasons stated but alas if they had contacted someone part of the clause can be to not publicly announce they have been contacted.

When I beta tested then later coded for the Battlefield 1942: Star Wars mod, LucasArts got in touch then sorta did a professional job and released Star Wars Battlefront. In this instance it wasn't a cease and decist, but in part a blessing to continue provided it was not for profit and if I recall, everything had to be built from scratch without lifting any models or skins etc from elsewhere.

I never played Battlefront, but in the mod which came before it (and probably inspired it, unless LucasArts were already working on it unannounced) I basically spent 6 weeks or so pimping out the X-Wing alone before moving on to other things. It was my idea and code for example, to have an opening and closing canopy albeit I had to bug the modeller and skinner to butcher the original model for me to work with ;) I also added fully functional landing gear but IIRC I never got around to uploading the files before I sold my PC so the landing gear never made it to a public release :(

:eek:

If they were unreleased on any format and the legal threat was high I'd be an advocate of releasing them regardless of the repercussions, though I have nothing thus nothing to lose. The games are unreleased on Dreamcast... but not unreleased in general. As they are playable on other format(s) and would take a riduculous amount of time to make them workable with the added threat, however small, of legal action from Sega or the rights owners IMO the juice isn't worth the squeeze.

2. gamer_s

gamer_s Active Member

Oh, the Battlefield games are great... which is more than I can say for SW: Battlefront.

Only Battlefront game I own is Star Wars: Battle Front: Renegade Squadron, which was included with my PSP. Terrible game. If Lucas Arts was attempting to clone the play style of Battlefield then they muyst have been shooting at the goal using a Storm Trooper blaster rifle... which apparently is like the AK-47 of the Star Wars universe, always shoots, but rarely hits the target.

3. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Lmao, I had that game with my first PSP. Horrible graphics too for a PSP.

4. pato

pato Resolute Member

bumping this thread, i ve installed visual c++ 6 + wince devkit software, but when i try to compile a win32 dremacast application, it doesn´t do, sounds like i need to connect the katana devkit, is there any way to bypass this?

5. Dreamcast

Dreamcast Intrepid Member

There shouldn't be any reason why it can't compile without a Katana. There's either something wrong with the source you're trying to compile or the installation is incorrect.

6. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

Does it spit out any errors in particular?

7. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

pato do you have the SDK? gamer_s was going to give it to me to upload at a secure location. I am the moderator of a site that can host any files on private servers, and I can always back it up to a CD if I ever need to reupload it.

8. pato

pato Resolute Member

oi ve found the sdk on [site removed - no warez], its called wince for dreamcast 2.1, i ve used the visual c++ 6.0 on win xp with dreamcast option, i know little of programming, but i ve should have senn an .exe, not an .dsp.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2011
  9. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Opps, I meant the source files of the game that gamer_s had located and uploaded prior.

10. Taemos

Taemos Officer at Arms

I don't know if anyone else has updated the thread with this info, but just FYI: Deep Cover assets are floating around the internet if you know where to look.

11. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104073/

?

12. pato

pato Resolute Member

nope, its a cancelled game by irrational games, the source code that gamer_s have released contains also the source for this game, but no models, there is a site that hosted a few images.

i still have the source code, but every time it gets deleted when i upload.

13. Taemos

Taemos Officer at Arms

I don't think a compiled version of the game is available, but the levels and a lot of the artwork are floating around. As I recall it requires some foolery with DromEd and loading with Thief 2/SS2.

14. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

@Pato, upload it and I will reupload it to a secure location. Can you do it through PM please?