Possible betas of system shock 2 and thief 2 for dreamcast found!

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by cOcO!, Apr 28, 2010.

1. gamer_s

gamer_s Active Member

It's like this. If your a programmer who wants to be able to legally have the right to sell what you've worked on then you wouldn't dare use the Sega SDK since Sega will no longer license anything created with or on it.

If your not going to take any money for your project, and your willing to take the chance of potentially having Sega take legal action against you then by all means feel free to go for it with the knowledge that by doing so you are accepting the risk.

Most people currently working on projects within the DC dev scene are, like Red Spot Games, hoping to sell their creations for a profit. So for these programmer/developers it would be unacceptable to blatantly attempt to profit from illegally using a coding platform without official approval to do so. And sadly, Sega isn't interested in issuing licensing approvals to homebrew developers so that they can legally make games for a system that is no longer officially supported.

In the afformentioned case of the infamous Utopia Boot Loader disc. The person(s) who used a Sega SDK to create this stupid program made it for the purpose of booting up illegally copied (aka bootleg) Dreamcast games. It's seriously questionable in my mind as to wether Sega would have invoked legal actions against this person(s) had they made something more trivial with their talents, such as a a simple import boot loader that would only load legit GD-ROM discs. We'll probably never know the answer to that though.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  2. MikeRWK

MikeRWK Spirited Member

Someone do it with the sdk, make a torrent, seed it and dont lay any claim whatsoever to it

3. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

Ok, I'll wait here for you to finish up.

4. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

LMAO right? :gravedigging:

5. MikeRWK

MikeRWK Spirited Member

If i had the skills it would already be done

6. Alchy

Alchy Illustrious Member

We know you don't have the skills. That's the fucking point.

7. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

And that furthermore but sitting here telling everyone else what to do you look like some sort of moron who thinks doing what he is proposing is a matter of following the instructions sent with it by IKEA. How very demeaning of people who do actual hard work.

And no it wouldn't "already be done" if you had the skills. This sort of stuff takes time which is why we don't have Resident Evil 15 coming out next week. But of course if you had a clue you wouldn't come off so clueless.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  8. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

If the developers, who actually had support with the official code and tools, couldnt get it done in a timely manner, then you are looking at YEARS, if it is even possible, to get it done, especially as a one man crew.

9. gamer_s

gamer_s Active Member

Where's that VitAmen fellow when you need him. I seem to recall him boasting something on page two or three of this topic about posessing mad l33t skills that would allow him to get System Shock 2 running in only 15 minutes?

:lol:

10. pato

pato Resolute Member

well actually, if he decided to move the files and folders to the right place, and use bincon in a old windows like 98, or in a virtual machine don´t take so long, but make the game fully playable, that is another story

seems like that he was banned.

no one decided to test the source files in tech folder in the game? My dreamcast is on my neighboor house, and i can´t take back, because my father said only when they brought another videogame, since ther house got robbed.

11. pato

pato Resolute Member

12. pato

pato Resolute Member

well, its no use the folder, i bet you have to put the source code in the .exe

does the visual studio for dreamcast requires katana?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  13. oldschool1980

oldschool1980 Newly Registered

No I don't think so, but if your looking for develop tools have you had a chance to look at [FONT=arial,helvetica]KallistiOS you can find it here http://www.boob.co.uk/devtools.html and other helpful tools[/FONT]

14. oldschool1980

oldschool1980 Newly Registered

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  15. ananda6359

ananda6359 Newly Registered

16. pato

pato Resolute Member

17. LeGIt

LeGIt I'm a cunt or so I'm told :P

Sega probably will. Why? Because the got bought out by a bunch of cunts called Sammy. Sammy were selling second rate pachinko machines and a sort of Naomi clone called the Atomiswave. Oddly they came into profit and did a backdoor deal with Sega's owner and took the company out from under their feet. It doesn't end there. Even if by a miracle you get it to work and you avoid the whole Sega issue with something like KallistOS after rewriting the whole game it will make no difference. Why? If Sega doesn't bend you over, sooner or later the copyright owner of the intellectual property of the titles will lube you up and aim for penetration.

I haven't been pursued for dumping Deuce... partly because 99.9% of the internet doesn't seem to know about it. The site is frequented by developers and none of them have contacted me, but that doesn't mean they haven't contacted Assembler and he has neglected to mention it. For all I know nothing is wrong, the developer may have turned a blind eye or Assembler could have taken a hit in legal fees or fines and been too kind to mention it or ask for the cash. Maybe they didn't notice and my mentioning it now will get their attention. Maybe revenge is a dish better served cold. Who knows... but the threat at least is very real and if they wanted to shit on you they can and will do! They could just be waiitng for you to get pubes, get a job and get some savings before you are worth their time ;)

The files are just a curiosity. Nothing is likely to happen with them for the foreseeable future which is good as it probably the only reason people haven't been pursued already... or have they?

Still... with the right amount of time, naivety and skill nothing is impossible and it would be nice to play these titles, but distributing these titles now they have been openly discussed may prove more troublesome :p

18. Alchy

Alchy Illustrious Member

Sega-Sammy will not come after you for sharing files you made using an ancient SDK for a system that's been dead nearly a decade, not unless your doing so somehow threatens their current business. I respect that people don't want to have any involvement with software that's unlicenced, but that's an ideological concern, not a practical one.

If you were distributing (or worse, selling) isos of Sonic Adventure or any of the games they've recently re-released, though, that's a different matter.

19. pato

pato Resolute Member

i gonna have to learn the worst way with kallistiOS and c++ if i want to make a 1st_read or .exe.

20. gamer_s

gamer_s Active Member

Nope, not a peep from anyone concerning these files. Nor has Impulse, the admin of Dreamcast-Talk, mentioned anything to me about being contacted by anyone.

I think there's some unwritten rule that states no one will come after you unless one of these conditions is met:
    A. The files are from a recent or current game.
    B. You're outright selling or asking for monetary donations to release the files.
    C. The person releasing the files is behaving in an extremely annoying manner.

That's just my take on the matter. <goes back to watching anime>