Possible betas of system shock 2 and thief 2 for dreamcast found!

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by cOcO!, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Well, if this IS the source code for both games, how hard would it be to get these games fully ported, and how many people would need to be involved in the process possibly?

2. Dreamcast

Dreamcast Intrepid Member

If the source is complete, one person who knows their way around the Dreamcast hardware could do it his / herself. Adding other equally competent programmers could speed the process up, but a team of someone that knows JavaScript and another person that has an installation of Windows 98, a SDK and zero programming experience is not going to end up with a working game.

Part of the porting process is not just getting it to run, but getting it to run well. That means optimizations to the geometery, texture and sound quality - all of which need experience with the hardware the software will run on.

3. gamer_s

gamer_s Active Member

Oh, so there were more SS2 files on the disc I dumped? Amazing!

4. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

More than amazing, spectacular!

5. Dreamcast

I just confirmed that this does indeed include the source for not only both SS2 and T2, but also an UNRELEASED PC GAME: Deep Cover (link). Apparently, all three games were closely tied together as far as engine assets go.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  6. MikeRWK

MikeRWK Spirited Member

That deep cover game looks awesome i may have to pickup another dreamcast

7. Dreamcast

I recommend picking up another Dreamcast for all of the great retail games available, but Deep Cover wasn't planned for the Dreamcast (original post edited with "PC" addition). System Shock 2 is the only of the two other alpha ports to run a test map on DC hardware.

It should also be noted that there are no game assets (maps, models, sound, etc) for Deep Cover - just source code. If anything is to come of Deep Cover, they would need to be found.

Technically, all three games could be made to run on the Dreamcast, but again, only if someone that knows what they're doing is willing to do it.

8. pato

pato Resolute Member

thief 2 also have a test map.

i don´t know anything about c++ and etc, but how to create an .exe in wince software? because system shock 2 still contain some pc .exe lines.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  9. pato

pato Resolute Member

well, ive found all the source files that the shock2.exe mentions of folders TECH/SHOCK2

i ve copied and created the necessary folders, but the .exe lines are for example

C:\TECH\SHOCK2\FRAMEWRK\INIT.CPP

so do i have to move the folder to the root? or still leave in D1S2T5, C folders?

10. pato

pato Resolute Member

i ve uploaded the TECH folder for system shock 2, there is one in D2S1T5, C, but seems to be incomplete, since the shock2.exe mentions more source files and folders, s ive created.

http://hotfile.com/dl/89717839/3a467ee/TECH.rar.html

i don´t know if the folder have to be on D2S1T5, C, only replacing the older one, or have to be on the root, because my dreamcast is on my neighboor.

11. gamer_s

gamer_s Active Member

Hey everyone,

As of a few moments ago Impulse, the admin of Dreamcast-Talk, notified me that he has remved the Thief_2_Service_Disc zip file from his server over concern regarding potential legal issues due ot the presence of source codes existing in the file. No one from Eidos, orelsewhere, has contacted him regarding the files, but he wishes to play it safe since the studios are generally very protective of source codes.

I'm completely willing to re-upload the file somewhere if anyone cares to volunteer storage space or recommend some where to upload it to. Or if you already have downloaded the file and wish to re-upload or host it yourself that's fine too. Just please besure to post back here with the new link to the file so others can have access to it.

12. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

I wish he would have told me first, I would have gladly downloaded, and reuploaded it for you.

13. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

Truth be told the last guy I personally knew that participated in the Dreamcast scene (well three really - DCGrendel, Sayten, and Crt0) who knew anything remotely well enough to be able to code up some SH4 ASM goodness left the scene almost a decade ago. You aren't likely to find anyone who could fully optimize this code to its full potential. Even BlueCrab who does amazing things with Yabuse and PSO likely couldn't tackle this project even if you slice out the fact he disdains using the official SDK.

Hell I haven't even heard anything from Dan Potter lately. Good luck seeing anything done with this code unless someone uses it to build themselves one hell of a final project for a CS degree.

14. T_chan

T_chan Gutsy Member

couldn't, wouldn't...

Most programmers who remain active in the DC want to stay on the legal side... That's why they don't want to use the official SDK in the first place. (same goes for me btw)

Do you really think they'd invest time in an illegal project ?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  15. raylyd

raylyd Guest

How can it be illegal to make games for dreamcast useing the official SDK.
    Sega disowned the console.

16. T_chan

T_chan Gutsy Member

You have to be careful about that.
    Sega stopped producing Dreamcasts & software for the Dreamcast, yes, but that does not mean they abandonned their intellectual property, neither on their games, nor on the SDK.

Put simply, when you use the official SDK, that means that the compiler will include pieces of programs that are copyright of Sega. And since they have never given you the right to use that, and there was no legal way to obtain the SDK unless you made an agreement with Sega, they can sue you whenever they want if you release/sell programs made with the SDK.

That's what happened to the people who made the Utopia bootdisk by the way...

17. Alchy

Alchy Illustrious Member

Just because a company stops supporting a piece of software doesn't suddenly make it freeware.

18. Basil

Basil Guest

gamer_s i think we can host it on dc-scene with direct link . i'll talk with admin .

19. arnoldlayne

arnoldlayne Resolute Member

Please don't take this the wrong way but do you think that 'if' you wrote something with the official sdk Sega would actually come after you? I think their likely 'targets' would probably the myriad of warez sites offering free downloads of the current gen games that they are trying to market and distribute.

20. T_chan

T_chan Gutsy Member

It's not really a question of "will they come after me", "they don't react to the warez now, so they don't give a shit", but "_can_ they come after me if I use the SDK in my programs".
    Use the SDK, and yes, they'd be in their right to sue you _if they wanted to_.

Will they do it ? Who knows...
    Would you loose much money ? Who knows...

No sane homebrew developper who is ready to invest months/years in a program would want to risk seeing all their effort disappear because of the potential risk, especially now that the legal alternatives are mature enough.