police academy video game

Discussion in 'Rare and Obscure Gaming' started by jonwil, Dec 28, 2005.

1. jonwil

jonwil Robust Member

Does anyone have any info about the (never released as far as I am aware) police academy game?
    Has a prototype ever been seen outside of Tengen?
    Are any game play details or screenshots available anywhere?

2. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

I assume you mean for NES?

3. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

Wasn't there a home computer version for the Amiga or ST produced? I'm sure I've seen something about it way back in my childhood.

Yakumo

4. TheRedEye

TheRedEye Robust Member

There were actually two versions of Police Academy coded for the NES. Both were done in-house at Tengen, by different people, and neither were ever commercially released. Steve Woita did the first, I have no idea who did the second. Here are the surviving screenshots for both; I don't know which is which.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Notice I didn't paste LOST LEVELS DOT ORG in huge letters across each picture, now everyone on the internet will STEAL them and TAKE CREDIT and now I'll never be famous and Christmas is cancelled :( :( :(

5. Yakumo

What was it with Tengen and their unlicensed games? I've got copies of Tengen After Burner II and Super Fantasy Zone (Sunsoft made the licensed games) which are both complete and well, not that good really. Tengen also had an issue with a Tetris game as well didn't they? Did any of Tengen's Famicom / NES stuff get an official release?

Yakumo

6. Garlo

Garlo Peppy Member

If by official you mean licenced by Nintendo, I think not.

I had After Burner for the NES, a friend gave it to me as a birthday present way back. I remember enjoyng it a lot. I have seen a Shinobi game, too. RBI Besball was good back then, too.

The Tetris thing is explained very well in Tetris: From Russia with Love.

But the short version is: Tengen tought they had the rights from ELORG, Bullet Proof Software discovered that they didn't and got them for Nintendo. Tengen got the rights from some other company that also tought they had the rights, but didin't.

Once Nintendo had the rights, they kept that top-secret. They watied until Tengen had invested money in advertising and had manufactured the carts. Then some time before the release they notified Tengen that they could not relase the game, since they owned Tetris.

Obviously, they sued Nintendo and lost. This was done as some sort of payback from another Atari suit Nintendo had, I think. Yes, this was back when Nintendo could act like supervillians because they were number one.

If you can find the documentary in some torrent site, I recommend it fully. The whole thing is almost out of a movie, with different partys arriving to communist Russia in search of the rights the same day, not knowing that the others were there for the same reason.

7. Yakumo

So Tengen made a shit load of Sega conversions for the Famicom / NES but never got any published? They must have lost a shit load of cash then. By the way, are Tengen a Japanese company or US based company? I only ask since Tengen is a place name here in Japan.

Yakumo

8. Sally

Sally Guest

I thought they were US, but i'm not sure they don't come out of japan originally.

As for the police Academy, i think that proto is in collector's hands... you might want to try DreamTR, but i'm not sure.

9. Garlo

Garlo Peppy Member

Tengen was the home console game division of Atari, so yes, it is an american company.

Atari never liked Nintendo's licencing deals, so they published their own games without the seal of aproval on slightly different (some might be as bold as to say cooler) black carts. Game boxes were all gold colored. The games I mentioned in the other post are all NES releases.

According to Mobygames, they released 17 games on the NES.

(http://www.mobygames.com/browse/games/tengen/published-by/nes/)

They did the same on the Genesis, but eventually settled with Sega and did official games, like Hard Drivin and "LHX something" and Roadblasters, all of them Atari Arcade games, among others.

Something happened between Atari and Sega in court, probably a patent issue about something very basic that Atari owned (something crazy like "scrolling graphics" or something, I really can't remmeber now) and they settled. Atari got the rights to publish Sega titles on other consoles and Sega got Atari titles for themselves as well.

That's how Atari ended up with those Sega games on the NES. There is a picture from a Lynx brochure that shows a picture of the GameGear version of Sonic running on a Lynx. Back then, it could have happened, but in the end it did not.

It is my understanding that Atari sued Nintendo on the same grounds they sued Sega and won. So the Tetris situation was very sweet payback for Nintendo.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2005
  10. Yakumo

Ah, I see. Thanks Garlo. Some good information there. I still don't know why they bothered making Sega games when Sunsoft had already made most of them first :) Oh well.

Yakumo

11. TheRedEye

TheRedEye Robust Member

No, it's not. The only copy I know of is Steve Woita's version, which Woita himself has a copy of. He's promised me that on some drunken night he'll take screenshots.