Pluto IIx GCVideo Board Installation Tutorial

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by Nully, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Nully

Nully Dauntless Member

I'm not much of a photographer nor have I made many tutorials in my life, but I couldn't find much of anything in terms of a visual tutorial for the installation of these boards or even install pictures. So I made this to help if you were curious about modding a Gamecube for HDMI.

I'll be editing this over the night!

3D-printed mount: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2332094
    Pre-programmed GCVideo board: https://www.knjn.com/ShopBoards_RS232_Parallel.html

1. Disassemble the Gamecube down to the motherboard, remove the heatsink and the board from the bottom shell
    2. Use a desoldering gun or solder sucker to desolder the digital-out port (took me about 20 seconds with a gun, invest in one). Solder the 100ohm resistor to the voltage regulator as explained in the official tutorial.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    3. Check the pinout guide and pre-tin the holes, it goes up and down with numbering where the bottom row is odd numbers and the top is even numbers if that makes sense (not sure how else to explain this) when looking at it from the top of the board.
    [​IMG]
    4. Cut 5-inch or so wires (strip both ends to make it easier) and connect them to the numbered holes and then tug on them gently to be sure they are connected well, wire #2 is suggested to not overlap the other wires so route that one behind the bundle of wires. There is no aesthetic way to do this that I've been able to think of trying this once to avoid cross-talk etc, but it turned out fine for me the way I did it. If I do another I'll likely use a flat cable or glue the wires together like a PS2 install.

NOTE: Some of these are actually incorrect, I took a break during this process and when I came back to it I had forgotten that in the official tutorial, the board is upside down for this step so don't follow mine exactly, sorry

[​IMG]
    5. The easiest way to do this is to use a "helping hands" to hold the board then solder the corresponding wires to it.
    6. Flip the Gamecube board over and solder a trimmed wire to the controller via, very gently tug it to be sure it's properly connected but not too hard, I ran mine through the legs of that IC to give it some support if it got snagged and fished it through one of the empty digital-out holes.
    [​IMG]
    7. Pull 5v from the pin below on the top of the Gamecube motherboard to the GCVideo board
    [​IMG]
    8. Gently push the wire bundle down and insert the GCVideo board into the 3D-printed mount that you screwed down and use the included screws to secure the GCVideo board to the mount
    [​IMG]
    9. Insulate the board with electrical or kapton tape to prevent shorts
    [​IMG]
    10. Use a pair of pliers to remove the back bracket from the DVD drive or use a dremel, should come off fairly easily when bending it back and forth.
    11. Use pliers to break the post that the drive sits at the back of the Gamecube (I'm not 100% on this, but didn't seem to fit otherwise, works fine without it, but correct me if I'm wrong)
    [​IMG]
    12. Reassemble the Gamecube and test the install, hold L+R+Y+X to open the OSD and turn DVI-enhanced mode on to get sound through HDMI etc
    [​IMG]

13. Finished!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    XpertXP likes this.
  2. XpertXP

XpertXP Active Member

I do this mod frequently. Thanks for posting this. Just a question for you - getting a solid blinking red light on the board. Removed and resoldered +5v to the resistor and back to the gamecube MLB and now im not getting any lights on the Pluto, do you think the resistor failed?

Thanks

3. Nully

Nully Dauntless Member

Sounds simple, but are you sure you're using 100 ohm and not 100k ohms? Your resistor is going from the voltage regulator "UNREG" to the via (DDC) under the HDMI connector? Any pictures? Haven't really done any troubleshooting as I've done this once and it worked the first try so I sealed it up and have been using it for playing.

4. XpertXP

XpertXP Active Member

Well, I got it powered on and working. But the issue Im having is the video is grainy. I guess Im going to have to redo the entire mod as Im stumped as to what could be causing the grainy video.

Nully likes this.