PlayStation Continuity Checker

Discussion in 'Sony Programming and Development' started by Logi26, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Logi26

Logi26 Site Supporter 2014

I stumbled across this console on eBay the other day. The seller says that the console was used to check controller and memory card connections.

The console has the buttons from a blue debug and the internal card is marked "SCEI". I couldn't find any information about the console online or any other pictures. I placed a £110 bid just because the console seems interesting and probably quite rare, but I didn't want to pay anymore since it doesn't have much use and there are other things that I would rather buy. It ended up selling for £114.

Anyway I just thought that it would be a good idea to share the pictures here for future reference.

An here is information from the eBay listing:

"This console was one of 6 consoles used for connectivity checks on pads and memory cards during manufacture and development, it is the earliest scph-1002 audiophile console, has blue power/eject/reset buttons much like the later net yaroze.
    The dealer that sold me this reliably informed me that all 6 consoles were delivered to him by Sony UK in a large lot of old hardware.
    As you can see on the photos it has an add on board inside the console and is called CONT CHECK V3
    This board has led's that display a green light when pads and memory cards are fitted correctly, if it doesnt have good connectivity a red led lights up under the label NG (not good.)"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SILENT_Pavel likes this.
  2. cez

cez Site Supporter

Great find. I wonder if it has a different BIOS/user interface or if all the magic is done by the extra board.

3. Logi26

Logi26 Site Supporter 2014

I was wandering the same myself. That was the main reason why I made a bid on the system.
    Unfortunately that is all the pictures and information that the seller provided and I didn't win the auction.

4. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

My guess is that it's just monitoring the power consumption of the stuff plugged into the expansion port, Probably used for a screening test on controllers an memory cards to see if they would blow the fuses.

5. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

I sent TriMesh a PM about it and it was interesting of an item in general.

Most notably because it appeared to be a stock retail unit with blue devstation buttons (and of course the LEDs and board). I hope whoever got it is a member here.

jamespoo likes this.
  6. Ed Hunter

Ed Hunter Site Supporter 2015. Site Patron.

I didn't win the auction mentioned above, but I dealt with the guy who had 6 for sale. The 6 units were sold on eBay around October 7th. The only thing the dealer knew about them was they came from Sony with in a lot of "old hardware" for recycling or disposal. Sadly, the other "old hardware" was parted out and disposed of. I am not a Playstation collector, but these looked interesting and they were pretty cheap, so I grabbed the last 2 of them. They finally arrived a few days ago. They look interesting, but I haven't been able to test them out yet. Here are some initial pictures.

http://s1180.photobucket.com/user/darkhorse1111/library/Mystery Playstation

Syclopse likes this.
  7. Jackhead

Jackhead Site Soldier

Got a unit today. PS only play PAL retail games. So it is no special bios installed. Strange is, they bypass the power button. There is no function on it. Unit is always power on when you conect the voltage cable.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  8. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

Someone has tried to sex it up by swapping the buttons.

9. smf

smf mamedev

The bios isn't usually responsible for region lockout & that in itself doesn't prove whether it's special or not. But that is easily checked by dumping it, or at least getting the crc. I would guess that it isn't though.

They probably disabled the power button because they didn't need to turn it off and accidentally turning it off would cause delays. The people using this would have been told to plug things in and look at lights, they probably didn't understand what they were doing other than that.

10. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Are you implying the seller? or Sony?

As all the ones I have seen look like this.

11. ASSEMbler

Just in general. Curious as to why, as it requires time to undo the spring and plate for the button.

12. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Oh I see what you mean.

I guess it was to make it noticeably different at a glance. If it was grey or one of the debug colours, maybe someone would have shipped it out or thrown it away?

13. ASSEMbler

I was thinking that as well; so people don't accidentally pack the tester instead of the retail machine.
    Perhaps for inventory purposes (it could be a mundane reason).