PlayStation 3 Firmware Downgrade

Discussion in 'Repair, Restoration, Conservation and Preservation' started by FromAllAspects, Apr 30, 2019.

1. FromAllAspects

FromAllAspects PlayStation Collector

Hi all,

I've currently got a few PlayStation 3's that I would like to downgrade (to reduce the risk of breaking the system, I would like to keep it software based if possible) to a lower firmware (preferably pre-3.00).

The PlayStation 3's are as follows:
    - CECHC02 60GB (currently on 4.70 OFW as far as I believe; tested on MinVerChk, states it can go as low as 1.00. There isn't an update file for that is there??)
    - CECHK02 80GB (currently on 4.83 OFW; tested on MinVerChk, states it can go as low as 2.16)
    - DECHA00A (hasn't been updated since 2012; it's currently on 4.25. This one will require debug firmware; can go as low as 1.00)

Would anyone be able to tell me what recommended methods are needed and what the risks involve and do you need to reprogram the Blu Ray drive in order to make it work correctly or does it do this via the downgrade? I look forward to everyone's responses!

Kind regards,

FromAllAspects

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  2. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

DECHA00A can be flashed with Target Manager or a USB device with the firmware via XMB or recovery mode. Just load it like sony says on their help page if you use the USB method. No risk as far as i know.

The other 2 I cant honestly tell you what the risks are so someone else will need to say something

3. FromAllAspects

Hey PixelButts, I wouldn't have expected you here! Huh, sorry for the dumb question regarding the DECHA00A. That really wasn't my intention. I did hear that jailbreaking one of the retail PlayStation 3's can allow you the opportunity to do so (apparently by activating the QA flag), but for the time being, it is rather dubious.

Kind regards,

FromAllAspects

4. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

I've been here a while
    Regardless the recommended method for downgrading the DECHA00A is just to give the PS3 a PUP file to flash and it will downgrade since there is no upgrade/downgrade restriction on dev units (with minor exceptions)

For retail, if youre going for jailbreaking your options are as follows
    A) Downgrade with a flashing tool, which may run you money, I dont know what risks are involved here so read some info on this since theres plenty around
    B) Use the newer exploits and follow some guides with PS3xploit
    C) Conveniently be on 3.55 and just update with rebug's cfw

If you go with option A then you're just downgrading and it's not that difficult if you have the tools and resources to do so. QA flagged systems do in fact have this ability to be messed with more freely.

If you go with B then I suggest following these two videos to get started (in this order)

FromAllAspects likes this.
  5. FromAllAspects

Just to ensure I'm doing everything correctly on the DECHA00A, since it's backwards compatible, do I need to account for that or will it be done through the firmware of my choosing? I just want to be 100% before performing something that may end rather disastrously. Just to let you guys know, I'm currently exploring the PS3 Dev Wiki for firmware on this particular system (DEX, of course).

Kind regards,

FromAllAspects

6. Tokimemofan

Tokimemofan Dauntless Member

You probably will need to downgrade to dech 3.55 first to go lower. Don’t have one myself to confirm but the Decr needs that or it will throw an error and abort the install after the copy phase, probably due to key changes. Downgrading on the dev units is officially supported and decha units should all go to 1.00, just don’t go below 2.00 if using a DualShock 3 controller or the controller will vibrate constantly

7. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

its safer to step it down rather than going straight from 4.00 to 1.0X but its not really required. Stop along the way at like 3.55, 3.00, 2.50 or something similar. if the firmware is rejected it will not install it after copying and will reboot you back to where you started. It's pretty easy.
    ive gone straight from 3.55 to 1.00 before on my DECR, so i assume the same for DECH systems is doable as long as its above the minver

8. FromAllAspects

I'm not sure what happened, but I put on a firmware called 3.55 downgrader through the dev wiki and have been met by a black screen and refuses to switch off. What should I do?

Kind regards,

FromAllAspects

EDIT: Nevermind guys. After a few minutes with the ominous black screen, it restarted and lo and behold, it went to 3.55! Now I'm heading towards 2.30.

9. Tokimemofan

I was only able to go below 2.00 using an ebootrom on my decr. I don’t know if there are any special requirements to go below that on dech. Wasn’t that when they implemented Syscon hashes? May have also had to do with an ancient cex>dex crossgrade exploit

10. FromAllAspects

Was your DECR refurbished? (I heard a few weren't able to go to lower firmwares due to a revised ebootrom) Which model number is yours, the 1000 or the 1400? I'm not too sure to be honest. I conducted a test to see how well it could downgrade and it went down to 1.00 successfully. Only problem with that is that you can't do much of anything. Hahaha. Do you know of anyone who may be willing to let go of their DECR's? I've been looking for ages, but can't find one anywhere. They've all disappeared strangely enough, well apart from th the 1400's, there's heaps of those circulating.

Kind regards,

FromAllAspects

11. FromAllAspects

I believe the requirement was like what @PixelButts said. You must first go down to 3.55 before going any further, otherwise you'll get an error message that says "an error has occurred". It's a bit strange, but it works. But always refer to the System Update section on your PlayStation 3 and near the bottom it should state how low you can go for your firmware. If not, use MinVerChk if possible.

Kind regards,

FromAllAspects

12. Tokimemofan

Mine is a 1000 with b07. I was only able to use 1.60 etc after downgrading using ebootrom 1.00.4 after a certain point around 2.00 I got the “there’s no need to update” message that comes up on a psp when you try to update. I used target manager, usb stick etc without success.

13. FromAllAspects

I'm so jealous. Hahaha. You've got a DECR-1000? I've been trying to find one for ages, but with no success since spongeonfire left. That's rather odd. Since yours is a b07 RSX, it should be able to downgrade as far back as 084.001 or 160.008, but I have heard on the PS3 Dev Wiki that if you downgrade it incorrectly, it will create a hard brick (such as an "RSX abort!" message) which isn't the best outcome. I'm not sure if it can be done on development/prototype PlayStation 3's, but you may be able to use a Teensy. Don't trust me on it though as I don't know if it's possible.

Kind regards,

FromAllAspects

14. Tokimemofan

1.00 using a b07 specific ebootrom. otherwise 1.60

15. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

Under no circumstances should you go below 1.00 on a b07 RSX unless you want a brick. The fact I have a b01 and it goes to 085.010 is a miracle
    Lets not derail this about the DECR though. OP needs help with a DECH and 2 CECH systems.

16. FromAllAspects

Agreed. It did kind of derail (then again part of that came down to me). I did successfully downgrade the DECHA00A to 1.00. Only problem with that is that you can't do much on it, apart from listening to CD's (it requires an update to play games, but I did find that some of the words were different, which was strange; they still did the same thing as later versions, but just the words), so to be safe, I might update it to 2.80 or 2.85 (if that even exists; PS3 Dev Wiki has an entry but no download file or information). I might keep an archive of update files for the system, in case I need to do a few things (and also in the unexpected event the archive links on the PS3 Dev Wiki fail). As for the CECH's, I haven't performed the hybrid firmware/jailbreak method you provided (thanks for that by the way). I'll definitely give it a try. All I really intend on doing is having a few PlayStation 3's for the Other OS functionality if I ever need to use Yellow Dog Linux or a supported alternative (the hardware would be quite outdated by now since it is technically PowerPC, but would be interesting to see how it performs, but I did hear Sony limited its functionality. Something to do with the RSX and Cell Broadband?)

Kind regards,

FromAllAspects

17. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

OtherOS on the PS3 doesn't have RSX access so you'd run everything off the CELL
    Also dont worry, there's plenty of archives everywhere for these firmwares.

18. FromAllAspects

I thought I would update everyone with how things have been. I have currently been unable to update the two retail PlayStation 3's due to being quite busy in recent history. I've encountered a problem (hopefully temporary). The PlayStation 3 Dev Wiki site appears to be down. Is there any way of collecting a few DEX related firmwares for my DECHA00A through different sources? It just seems strange that the site has gone down when I need to get some DEX firmwares archived on my USB for safekeeping. Also, it seems a bit rude of me not to thank @PixelButts. It's been much appreciated what you've done, providing me with useful tips and videos on how how downgrade the PlayStation 3's, so thank you. I really do appreciate it.

Kind regards,

FromAllAspects

19. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

20. FromAllAspects