PlayStation 2 Test DTL-H10100 questions

Discussion in 'Sony Programming and Development' started by Tokimemofan, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Tokimemofan

Tokimemofan Intrepid Member

I just aquired one and am waiting for it to arrive, how can I verify that it is legit and how do they compare capability wise to the other debugs?

2. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

Congratulations! From what I do know, it's quite an uncommon model.

As with any DEX, it will accept master discs, but will refuse to just play burned discs. Like with all DEX (and the SCPH-10000), it will also have no DVD player installed.

Then to get into the specifics, you need to run PS2Ident on it. If you opened up the PS2, it probably won't have a MECHACON of the same version as the SCPH-10000/SCPH-15000 nor the DTL-H10000's.

The service tool lists only a few possible IDs for the DEX MECHACON of an early fat, DEX PS2:
    DTL-H301xx (D): CXP102064-752R, v2.13
    DTL-H30000 (D): CXP102064-752R, v2.13
    DTL-H300xx (B): CXP102064-702R, v2.5
    DTL-H10000 (A): CXP102064-003R, v1.7
    DTL-H10000 (A): CXP101064-602R, v1.3

The minor version number should be an odd number (even numbers indicate a CEX MECHACON).
    I got a dump from the DTL-H30102 before. It had ROM 1.50, but boot certification was hardcoded for a PS2 with ROM 1.10. Sony might have made the MECHACON chips before deciding to upgrade the boot ROM, for whatever reason.

The DTL-H301xx was a newer PS2 than the original DTL-H300xx. The DTL-H30000 is a GH-010 and appears to have the same MECHACON as the DTL-H301xx (GH-013), but has no capability for booting KELFs.

So your DTL-H10100 might also have the CXP102064-752R with ROMVER 1.50. But that's just a guess, since the chassis is old...

If it somehow has data identical to a DTL-H10000 (even same MECHACON), dump the ROM and use a hex editor to locate "secrman_for".
    If it says "secrman_for_dex", then it is a DTL-H101xx.
    The DTL-T10000, DTL-H100xx and DTL-H300xx all have "secrman_for_tool".
    The SCPH-10000 and SCPH-15000 have "secrman_for_cex".

Given that they've always made the secrman_for_tool versions of SECRMAN lack the functions for KELF support, I doubt any PS2 with secrman_for_tool can support MagicGate files (which defines a DTL-H10100).

It should be identical, as all PS2s offer the same functionality.

pool7 and svotib like this.
  3. Tokimemofan

If I’m not mistaken this should boot the TDB as well correct? Would that be a definitive test? Also it would NOT recognize the retail bound hdd drivers but would be able to install it correct?

4. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

If you got a genuine TDB startup card, yes. This model was meant for that.

However, if Sony never replaced its boot ROM, then it would still not support the HDD unit on its own.

Installations of MagicGate software to memory card by a CEX cannot be used with a DEX, or vice-versa. So if you ever installed the system driver update on a memory card with a CEX, you cannot use it with the DEX.

5. Tokimemofan

That’s what I figured, I guess I’m going to use my working tdb card to test
    Edit: sorry about the multiple post my phone had a hiccup

6. Tokimemofan

7. Tokimemofan

8. Tokimemofan

It finally arrived, rather interesting notes about it so far: It has a warranty seal,
    The model number is shown as DTL-H10100 in the Version screen
    Like the other 10k versions it is region locked. The TDB startup card works. Where I am having a problem is with the hdd utility disc, It won’t load the driver onto the memory card. Any suggestions on that? My guess is that I may need to format the memory on this system but I don’t currently have any way to load home brew on this unit
    Edit: the mechacon is a CXP102064 009R

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  9. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

What do you mean? If it does not install one, then it might just not be needed.

10. Tokimemofan

It stops at 20% I don’t know japanese but it’s the same error that would happen if you remove the memory card during the install

11. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

Is this a genuine memory card that can be recognized by this console? I don't remember from whom I heard that the HDD Utility Disc will work on this model without issues. I could have also concluded that it was usable on even the DTL-H101xx, just because licensed developers used the DEX to manage the content of the HDD unit. It is only quite clear that the browser will work with the expansion bay DEX, as the memory card is not involved.

The CEX SECRMAN module cannot authenticate memory cards on this type of PS2. So I assumed that Sony had some work around, like letting the DEX SECRMAN module authenticate the card before using the secrman_special module to bind the file to the memory card.

I hope it is not actually a sign that the system driver update cannot be normally installed on a memory card with this model. I wonder what this model was meant for then.

12. Tokimemofan

I tried it with multiple memory cards, the hdd is a known good unit. I used this to set up the hdd on a retail last week so I know I’m doing it correctly. Interesting the memory card needs to be removed and reinserted to be recognized again after each failed attempt. I’m going to try using a psbbn disc. I noticed that the copyright dates on the rom and mechacon are from 2003. May be possible that the installer is buggy as it interacts with the hdd normally. All other features of the hdd utility disc work normally except for the DVD player installer which we all know is blocked. The TDB startup card does cause the hdd to load.

13. HI_Ricky

HI_Ricky Enthusiastic Member

you can use retail SCPH-10000/15000/18000 to install HDD Util/BBNAV , than put back DTL-10100 try it :)

14. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

The HDD Browser and/or PSBBN will likely get installed properly onto the HDD. The problem is the system driver update, which must be bound to a memory card. Unless the DTL-H10100 can support the CXD9566R without it.

We know that KELF/KIRX bound to a memory card by a DEX will be rejected by a CEX PS2 and vice-versa. This is why the TDB startup card cannot work on a CEX PS2. The same thing happens for FMCB.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  15. Tokimemofan

Exactly, and it definitely needs the driver. No point in installing the browser without that.
    Edit: Same result with PSBBN 0.30 but it happens at 8%
    It happens when the HDD shuts down and then restarts, once it happens the memory card becomes inaccessible until either the system is turned off or the memory card is re inserted. The exact same behavior happens if you attempt to install the DVD player on a debug. This is obviously by design but why?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  16. l_oliveira

l_oliveira Officer at Arms

Does not work. Binding of KELF on TESTs are different than binding on CEX. He needs a special HDD utility disc for using with his TEST. MG enabled TEST units with internal HDD can use the retail utility disc because they don't need to install anything to MCs.

Btw the TDB card does not work on CEX units exactly because the KELF binding on TESTs are different from the binding on CEX.

pool7 likes this.
  17. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

If it so happens that the normal utility disc cannot be used on this model, then I have a suggestion: install FMCB as a substitute for the system driver update. You just need to boot the installer on the DEX itself.

The HDD Browser can be installed with a SCPH-10000/SCPH-15000/SCPH-18000. The HDD Browser itself can be shared with a CEX, but the same rules regarding DNAS DRM will still apply.

It is also possible to get the system driver update manually signed for this PS2, but you will be on your own.

pool7 likes this.
  18. Tokimemofan

I was thinking that myself, however does th
    Your fmcb installer doesn’t work on this model either, however I was able to use another debug to bind the files and then rename them appropriately. The osd hack does work but some stuff is messed up I also dumped the boot rom and eeprom. Your ps2ident tool is unable to identify several components of the system, the mechacon and mainboard info among them. Let me know if there’s anything you’d like from that or if there’s any thing you would want me to test on this.

AKuHAK likes this.
  19. l_oliveira

l_oliveira Officer at Arms

I use a custom, modified binding tool (based on source code from the FMCB research tools which extracted CEX DVD players from rom and tried to bind them to MC) to bind files on DEX machines. I was able to duplicate the TBD startup card that way and also make it boot on retails by binding it to a MC using a retail and regular tools instead.

I find the TBD startup card borderline useless so instead I use a customized FMCB boot stub to launch ule, also bound using the modified binding tool for the DEX.

pool7 and AKuHAK like this.