PlayStation 2 identification tool

Discussion in 'Sony Programming and Development' started by sp193, Jul 10, 2013.

1. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

EDIT 2016/12/15 v0.825 released: http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/playstation-2-identification-tool.46947/page-5#post-924043
    EDIT 2016/05/21
    v0.823 released:
    http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/playstation-2-identification-tool.46947/page-4#post-882010
    EDIT 2016/01/04: v0.822 released: http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/playstation-2-identification-tool.46947/page-4#post-852683
    EDIT 2015/08/29: v0.821 released!
    EDIT 2015/05/30: v0.820 released!
    EDIT 2014/10/27: Added a link to the latest model database file page.
    EDIT 2014/10/27: Added a link to the latest model database file page.
    EDIT 2014/10/13: v0.810R released: http://www.assemblergames.com/forum...ification-tool&p=780287&viewfull=1#post780287
    EDIT 2013/10/13: v0.805 released!
    EDIT 2013/08/25: v0.804 OBT released!
    EDIT 2013/08/01: v0.803 OBT released!
    EDIT 2013/07/19 02:30: v0.802 OBT re-released. Includes stability fix.
    EDIT 2013/07/17: v0.802 OBT released. Includes localization update.
    EDIT 2013/07/14: v0.801 OBT released. Includes minor bugfix.

Hi guys,

Here is the identification tool which me and l_Oliveira have been working on.

PS2Ident is an identification tool that allows dumps of a PlayStation 2 console's ROM chips and MECHACON NVRAM to be made. It will also gather data from the console, for research purposes.

Basically, it does:

1. Dumps the boot ROM.
    2. Dumps the whole DVD ROM (rom1:, rom2: and erom:).
    3. Dumps ROM chips as a whole, not according to their contents.
    4. Coloured user interface that is easy to use.
    5. Supports dumping to memory cards and USB mass storage devices.
    6. Supports multi-languages, which include the 8 supported languages by the PS2.
    7. Gathers data of all known parts of the PS2.
    8. Attempts to automatically match the chip/part name with the version number of the part.
    9. Supports all PlayStation 2 consoles, including the SCPH-10000 and SCPH-15000, and the PSX (DVR unit).

PS: We're looking for people to translate the tool too!

Its database, which contains the parts and mainboard data, is managed and updated with the PlayStation 2 Ident DataBase Management System (PS2IDBMS) tool.

I made such a change because it wasn't possible to get a complete list of all PlayStation 2 models in existence. With PS2IDBMS, a spreadsheet containing all recorded models can be generated automatically.
    Not to mention that the whole PS2Ident tool would have to be recompiled, whenever model data was added.

If the database has your console's data in it, PS2Ident will attempt to determine its mainboard model based on:

1. ROMVER string
    2. Model name
    3. EE revision
    4. FPU revision
    5. IOP revision
    6. GS revision
    7. MECHACON revision
    8. SPU2 revision
    9. SSBUS I/F Controller revision
    10. Model ID
    11. Console Model ID
    12. EMCS ID
    13. M Renewal Date
    14. ADD0x010 ID

If your console is not recognized, its mainboard model will appear as "unknown". While it is true that Sony consoles might be physically similar across releases from different territories, I've decided to treat each region's release as being different because I would also want to have a complete list of existing PlayStation 2 models. With such data it is possible to determine what models Sony has released in every terrirory, and at which series did they start at.

How to submit new model data, starting from this release:

1. If your console model is not recognized, its mainboard will appear as "unknown" and a new database record file in this naming convention will be generated among the dumped files: <console model>_<serial number>_database.bin (e.g. SCPH-10000_0500044_database.bin).
    2. Open your console, and take note of the mainboard model number. Take note of the models of all chips that were unrecognized by PS2Ident, so that we can get an updated chip model list for all components.
    3. Submit this file to me, along with the mainboard model and other missing chip models. Either via PM or via e-mail.
    4. When recording down the model of the MECHACON chip, please take note that the model number should include its firmware version as well (e.g. CXP103049-401GG instead of just CXP1013049).
    As for the chassis and EMCS ID (For Dragon-series units):
    At the lower right-hand corner of the product information sticker that is either on the bottom or back of the unit, there will be something like "H FOXC". In this example, the letter 'H' is the chassis model, while "FOXC" stands for FOXConn (the EMCS that made the console). Please contribute this information if necessary.
    Please understand that the database record file alone is useless to me, since I need the mainboard model name to update the database with PS2IDBMS.

The model database file will be updated every week, or whenever I can commit to do so.
    If your model is already recognized, the database record file will not be generated.

My e-mail address is as on my website: ysai187@yahoo.com

As for those who volunteered to make the translations:
    Japanese translation *: Unassigned.
    German translation (completed): Delta_force
    French translation: ShaolinAssassin.
    Italian translation*: master991
    Spanish translation (completed): ElPatas
    Dutch translation*: Someone who wishes to remain anonymous.
    Portuguese translation (completed): Gillbert

* Not updated for v0.824 and newer.

As of now, only the English language is available because the strings and labels were changed.
    The automatic mechanism for splitting long lines on the screen was removed, so the strings have to be formatted to break manually. Otherwise, they will be cut off.
    If you are able to and willing to, please contribute new translations for FMCBInstaller and FSCK.
    For more information, refer to: Supported languages

Downloads/links and more information
    PS2Ident project page (go here for downloads): http://ichiba.geocities.jp/ysai187/PS2/PS2Ident.htm
    Sister thread on PSX-scene: http://psx-scene.com/forums/f19/playstation-2-identification-tool-115323

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
    triumphtune likes this.
  2. cde

cde Site Supporter 2017

Always happy to see more PS2 applications. Are you looking for people to contribute their data?

3. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

Thank you!

As for data gathering, it's about matching the chip IDs with their names. (e.g. for the CXD9611AR, it reports itself as revision 0x31).

If you find any mislabeled or unmatched chip IDs, and you know what it should be, please feel free to let us know. This includes the mainboard model as well (Although we will need the whole ident log file and the model of the mainboard for that).

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  4. cde

cde Site Supporter 2017

Can't run from USB with and without HDD attached SCPH-10000 +external... Black screen. Runs fine from MC0/MC1 though..

5. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

What if you disconnected and re-connected your USB device? It tries to load the font file infinitely.

It did work on my SCPH-10000, when I tested it last night.

6. cde

cde Site Supporter 2017

No, Still black screen screen from USB, tried 16gb Verbatim and 16gb sandisk plugging in-and-out. Won't start from 3rd party (64mb) memory card either. I then copied it to hdd0/common and it runs fine. dumped correctly, and I could exit no problem.

Does the folder need to be at the root of the USB?

Update: tried from USB with files at the root, still black.

Just out of interest, is the ROMGEN number related to the production date of the console? 0117-2000... 17th Jan 2000?

7. RandQalan

RandQalan Rapidly Rising Member

I hate to say this but not only this is having trouble with USB SP193 your HDloader is too for ME

This did not happen with HDloader until you seperated the font in folder BTW so something to do with that

8. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

Minor fix - IOP reset readded

Sorry, but apparently I was wrong and the IOP reset cannot be removed. Apparently even uLaunchELF isn't resetting the IOP before launching an ELF, and I believed in it! D:

I've re-added the IOP reset and re-uploaded the package. If you have downloaded the packages from before I made this post, please re-download!

Thanks to cde for reporting the fault!

9. cde

cde Site Supporter 2017

Unfortunately I just tried the release build of HDLGameInstaller too, RandQalan is right.

Update: Speedy fixes from sp193, HDLGameInstaller and PS2Ident tool working GREAT from USB, HDD, and Memory Cards.

10. l_oliveira

l_oliveira Officer at Arms

The KERNELS being old affect a lot how the homebrew behaves on that kind of PS2 ... lol

Been a bumpy ride deal with them but a fun one nonetheless. And SP193 is way too humble, he did all the work and is even giving me credit. ;)

11. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

That bug will affect all console models actually. ;)

If you want to know why that happened, it's probably because uLaunchELF had the USB drivers left loaded somehow. Under the Sony stuff, the IOP would always be in a known state when it entered the control of another program. If it doesn't contain the default modules entirely, it would have contained the modules that belonged to the loaded program. Homebrew software that load programs don't seem to follow this invisible "standard".

(On the flip side, I suppose that the homebrew way of thinking does make sense, especially if the loaded program doesn't have the modules for accessing the device it was loaded from. It could also load files from the current working directory without loading its own modules... but most homebrew software out there will reset the IOP first anyway, so this isn't really useful...)

What..? You were the one who provided the test data lol. No test data = no way I would have found out what would have made this tool useful. Plus you were the one who enlightened me that the PS2 only had two ROM chips (BOOT and DVD ROM), with some of them even having only a single one (BOOT + DVD ROM). So thank YOU, Mr. l_oliveira, for your contributions. ;)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  12. ElPatas

ElPatas Spirited Member

Hi sp193 i made the spanish translation check your pm.

When i used the option for save the dump to the first MC in which i don't have enought
    space, then appears the message of selected device has insufficient space with an OK
    option in the bottom of the screen, seem it freezes, i can't exit from the program in any
    way, only if i shut down entirely the PS2, this is normal?

Regards.

13. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

Hi, this is not a normal behaviour.

Does this happen with the "stock" files (without adding translations)? If it does, it might be a real bug... although it hasn't happened to me before though.

If it happens with translated messages, you might want to look out for missing characters. FreeType might have crashed the console when it attempted to load the character that it failed to load.

14. master991

master991 Enthusiastic Member

Italian traslated files;)

They are the same of the HDloader game installer

ESIT:
    UPDATED traslation templates with new ones!
    2nd UPDATE, new templates can be downloaded here:GO!!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  15. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

Thank you! Like for the HDLoader game installer, the translated files will get released within the next update of the program (Not next version, but the next minor update to release all translated files).

16. ElPatas

ElPatas Spirited Member

Yes it freezes also with the stock files without adding translations, seems its a bug.

Regards.

17. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

What if you waited? It looks like it has a small bug that allows it to go past that screen... even if you don't have enough space. I don't see why it would freeze up, so perhaps it's taking a while to delete your old FMCB installation.

On my SCPH-10000, I just saw it get past the screen, after I waited for about a minute. @_@

But I've identified that it's still a problem because it won't abort the installation even if there was insufficient space left.

EDIT: Or try unplugging the card before pressing the circle button to say "OK". It should fail immediately when it tries to write data.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  18. ElPatas

ElPatas Spirited Member

I waited only a few seconds, and if you say that even it won't abort the installation i don't like
    it overwrites my files and lose them, if you can fix that the better, thanks for the app.

Regards.

19. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

Hey, I'm sorry. I think that I got this software mixed up with the FMCB installer, which had a similar problem. This means that I have not checked for this bug yet, but will fix this if I find it.

Thank you!

EDIT: BUG found. Apparently, the pad-handling code in this tool is older than the one used in the HDLGameInstaller and FMCBInstaller tools. It doesn't store the state of the circle, cross, triangle and square buttons, meaning that the reason why you get a freeze is because it's going too fast to realize that you weren't trying to re-select the same MC that is full. D:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  20. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

PS2Ident v0.801 OBT released!

Changelog for v0.801:

1. Added German, Italian, Spanish and French localizations.
    2. Updated pad handling code. This also fixes the bug where the user cannot escape the "insufficient space" screen that gets displayed when the dump target has insufficient space.
    3. Changed the bitmap images to PNG images to save space.
    4. Corrected the ID for the CXD9542GB (EE v1.4, found within the SCPH-10000 and SCPH-15000, as well as a handful of SCPH-18000 units).
    5. Renamed the CXD9566 SSBUSC to CXD9566R.
    6. Added part IDs.

Part IDs were provided through dumps and board photographs by l_Oliveira and krHACKen.

Downloads/links and more information
    PS2Ident project page: http://ichiba.geocities.jp/ysai187/PS2/PS2Ident.htm

Translators, sorry... but I realized that two strings are missing:
    "Dump system ROM"
    "System information"

The template hasn't been updated, but I'll be adding these two to the bottom of the labels file in this order.

As for the "Quit" label, it's in the program but isn't used. I forgot about it, but it'll get fixed in the next release.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013