PlayStation 2 HDD Checker (HDCK)

Discussion in 'Repair, Restoration, Conservation and Preservation' started by sp193, Aug 6, 2013.

1. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

EDIT 2017/02/28: v0.942 released - http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/playstation-2-hdd-checker-hdck.47346/page-2#post-938187
    EDIT 2016/12/04:
    v0.941 released - http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/playstation-2-hdd-checker-hdck.47346/page-2#post-922044
    EDIT 2016/09/16: v0.94 released - http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/playstation-2-hdd-checker-hdck.47346/#post-908167
    EDIT 2016/08/09: v0.932 released - http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/playstation-2-hdd-checker-hdck.47346/#post-898958
    EDIT 2014/06/23: v0.92 OBT released - http://www.assemblergames.com/forum...Checker-(HDCK)&p=755058&viewfull=1#post755058

HDDChecker is a basic disk diagnostic tool meant for testing the health of your PlayStation 2 console's Harddisk Drive unit.

It was conceived and constructed because I didn't want to see anymore poor SCPH-20400 units being cut open, just to have the disks within them taken out for testing. >_>

It'll also be useful for those people who need to check the condition of their HDD units, but don't have a working IDE port on their computers to connect the disk to.

Features:
    1. Detects and lists the model, serial, firmware and S.M.A.R.T. status of HDD unit 0 (Primary Master).
    2. Performs a surface scan of the disk.
    3. Supports 48-bit LBA disks up to 2TB.
    4. Performs zero-filling of the disk with large blocks.
    5. With the surface scan, bad sectors found might be remappable. Writing to a to-be-remapped sector (those hard-to-read sectors, as recorded by the disk) may kick off the actual sector remapping process.
      However, this may not apply to all disks.
    6. Checks for damage to the APA scheme and PFS partitions.
    7. Optimizes the HDD to reclaim space.
    Downloads/links/for more information:
    HDDChecker project homepage: http://ichiba.geocities.jp/ysai187/PS2/HDDChecker.htm
    Sister thread on PSX-scene: http://psx-scene.com/forums/f98/playstation-2-hdd-checker-hdck-115984/

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
    lwizardl likes this.
  2. svotib

svotib Site Supporter 2013, 2014

Super!!!:tears_of_joy:
    By the way, one of the oldest twigs of the forum, you wrote that your SCPH-10000 freezes when connecting an external hard drive. You figured out what was the reason? (The other day I got an external hard drive, and ran into this problem.)

3. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

Thank you!

That SCPH-20400 unit is now dead, along with that SCPH-10000 unit. The SCPH-10000 had a mainboard problem which I could not fix on my own, so it's now just part of my collection.

The SCPH-20400 has corrupted firmware, as there are bad sectors within its drive overlay area. It now appears to have a crashed head as well.

4. richi902

richi902 Robust Member

finally a hdd checker for ps2 hdd's!!!

5. svotib

Very sorry to hear that!
    I checked SCPH-20400 with the help of the PC (apart from the case), it is in order. SCPH-10000 also works fine, if not connected SCPh-20400. If you are connected, all is frozen, sometimes when downloading, sometimes after a while. (It may take 10 minutes, but may for 1 hour.):confused-new:

6. retro

retro Resigned from mod duty 15 March 2018

Wow! A useful tool, hosted on a Japanese website with perfect English!

Very handy, and very unusual! ;) lol

7. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

Initially, I felt quite upset about that too, so I got another one... this time directly from Japan with another HDD unit. @@
    It cost 90 SGD to ship via SAL, as that time I didn't know that Fedex was going to be cheaper than SAL.

What software were you running? Homebrew may freeze up on the SCPH-10000 because the EE chip of this unit has the short loop bug.

These consoles are also 13 years old by today, so they are quite old.

Thank you! :D

Haha. :)

Thanks.
    Yea, it's unique in that way... but I'm still not proficient with Japanese yet. :/

8. svotib

I used the program and Official and Homebrew. I did not notice the difference.
    When you start the PSBBN (v 0.32) on the console of the connected SCPH-20400 freezing occurs rarely. When recording to the HDD freezing was not even once, freezing occurs when reading (this can be music, game, or simply scroll through the menu) ...

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  9. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

I used to be getting freezes with my current SCPH-10000 unit too, but it was caused by the faulty SCPH-20400 unit which I was using (HDD activity indicator would be sometimes left on when the console froze up).

Hmm... what if it's the network adaptor you have which has a problem?

Mine has problems with auto-negotiation, but it's probably a problem with the SPEED device it has. Of course, testing for that is going to be difficult... as you can only do that if you have another network adaptor. D:

I wish to be able to do that too, since this auto-negotiation problem is bugging me and feels suspicious. But my 2nd HDD unit didn't come with one because it was probably left inserted into the console which the HDD unit was previously used with (I have that console's dummy PCMCIA card in the box). D:
    (The seller wrote that he didn't have that PCMCIA card, so I knew what I was getting... well, sort of. lol)

Adjusting the Ethernet cable seems to affect its link status at times with other equipment (other than my laptop), but it will just refuse to communicate properly with my laptop properly regardless of what I do (Forever stuck at 10Mbit half-duplex, even if the settings are fixed on the laptop's end).

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  10. svotib

Yes, it is possible that the network adaptor ...
    Also, I think it may be the inverter 220v-100v. (not enough power? ...)
    Maybe somewhere in the conjugation of poor contact, because sometimes it does not freeze, but just slow.
    In short, I disassembly SCPH-10000 to clean all nodes, which would eliminate the influence of dust, dirt, and other things.
    After cleaning, assembly and I'll see what happens.

11. AKuHAK

AKuHAK Spirited Member

I tested - it is great thing!!! But one of my bad devices was shown as normal (I will check it for bad blocks to be sure) Some requests: can you added after passing test some kind of log messages: for example "Succesfully passed the test".

12. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

All the best to you with restoring it! :D

As for me, I've connected my unit and its HDD unit to a 60W 220V -> 110V step-down transformer and iit seems to be working well.

Thank you!

How do you know that the disk is bad?

If you determined that based on the results from the manufacturer's diagostic tools, then the disk is bad indeed. If you determined that based on the fact that data can't be read properly, the bad sectors might have been remapped when data was written to the bad sectors.

This tool performs a surface scan with the standard READ VERIFY SECTOR(S) ATA command. Whether the disk reports an error or not is entirely up to the disk.

This tool will also report bad sectors (You'll get a message)... but now to think about it, you won't be able to see the bad sector count when the test completes and you selected "Skip all" as the bad sector management strategy. Hmm. A logging system should be in order. :cool-new:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  13. AKuHAK

AKuHAK Spirited Member

I know that the disk is bad cause I tested him on a PC :D It can shut down in any moment. After testing it with your util it founds only one bad sector and freeze on 99% :)

14. RandQalan

RandQalan Rapidly Rising Member

I had the same results myself but with a good HD found it was Kingdom Hearts deleted it and reinstalled it run the check again no errors and finished

Like report for what it scans area would be nice but wondering why if it finds something it gets stuck at 99% myself

15. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

The disk can shut down on its own? O_O
    That sounds like some severe hardware problem.

Modern disks (in general) seem to work in this way: When a sector starts failing, it gets hard to read. The disk will mark it as a to-be-remapped sector, which gets remapped (only) when it gets written to. If your disk reports a bad sector which disappears after you reinstall the game which was stored at that region, the bad sector probably get remapped.

I noticed with HDLGameInstaller that the PS2 may lock up if a bad sector is hit (I used to get that a lot with my SCPH-10000 before the disk got replaced), but it's probably a design fault with the ATAD module. No research was done on that matter, so the exact location of the problem isn't known.

Yes, a logging feature would be great.

16. richi902

richi902 Robust Member

yeah noticed that too, after I run it on 3 ps2 systems at the same time went away and didn't know if any of them had bad sectors lol.
    so a screen at the end would be cool, which says how many bad sectors, etc..

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  17. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

HDDChecker v0.92 OBT released!

Changelog for v0.92:

1. Updated to compile with the new PS2SDK.
    2. Ported over the updates to ATAD from the PS2SDK.
    3. Attempted to add support for the VERIFY_SECTORS_EXT command, which was previously missing.

Downloads/links
    HDDChecker project homepage: http://ichiba.geocities.jp/ysai187/PS2/HDDChecker.htm

Note: I had no choice, but to make a release now. The tool hasn't been really tested at all, but it seems like it works.
    I don't have a way to test whether it can detect read errors accurately with the READ_VERIFY_EXT command because I don't have a bad disk that is readily available. I used to have the time for making thorough tests like that, but no more. :(

I tried my best to follow the ATA standard as best as I could, however.

18. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

HDDChecker v0.93 released!

Changelog:
    1. Updated to compile with the new PS2SDK.
    2. Renamed to HDDChecker.
    3. Revamped UI.
    4. Rewritten to use libgs, so gsKit is no longer required.
    5. Added hdck (APA checker), fsck (PFS checker), hdsk (APA defragmenter) and fssk (PFS trimmer).
    6. Changed fonts to the Google English and Japanese fonts.
    7. Added support for booting from the HDD unit.

Note: this tool does not support defragmenting disks containing HDLoader games because HDLoader games will get broken if defragmented.
    I believe that they will get broken too, if the SONY HDD Utility Disc is used.

Downloads/links:
    HDDChecker project page: http://ichiba.geocities.jp/ysai187/PS2/HDDChecker.htm

Mord.Fustang and svotib like this.
  19. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

Changelog for v0.932:
    • Relocated the version number.
    • Fixed size calculation error in fsckFixDEntry() of fsck.
    • Fixed cosmetic errors in disassembly of fsck.
    • Updated to have the latest PS2SDK changes.
    • Added Spanish and German localizations.
    • Updated Portuguese localization.

This may or may not actually fix this problem.

Downloads/links:
    HDDChecker project homepage: - PS2 HDDChecker support page -

20. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

Changelog for v0.94:
    • Removed limitation on optimizing disks with HDLoader games.
    • Added unofficial support for optimizing HDLoader games to hdsk.
    • Added a 2TB capacity limit.
    • Removed unused size labels.
    • Updated to compile with the latest PS2SDK changes.
    • Added updated German, French and Spanish localizations.
    • Corrected error in Portuguese localization.
    • Corrected sector error check.
    • Added workaround for the PSX to the scanning and zero-filling.
    • Removed Japanese font. Will re-add if a localization is added.
    • Changed font support to not store the whole font in RAM, unless the tool is booted from the HDD unit.
    • If booted from the HDD unit, the whole font file is read into memory.
    • Changed UI initialization code to allow the font to be re-opened after IOP reboots.
    • Expanded initialization thread's stack size to correct stack overflow.
    • Added missing disk check status labels.
    • Added a display for the number of errors found.
    • It is no longer considered an error, if the number of errors fixed is not equal to the number of errors found.
    • The cancel button is no longer fixed to CROSS for all operations.
    • Corrected progress bar display during disk optimization.
    • PS2SDK APA update: fixed incorrect behaviour of HIOCGETPARTERROR.
    • Improved efficiency of VRAM storage for fonts.
    Downloads/links
    HDDChecker project support page: - PS2 HDDChecker support page -

cde, svotib and Borman like this.