Place your Bets! Guess what the next Everdrive will be....

Discussion in 'Everdrive General' started by Teancum, Jun 5, 2011.

1. bertobp

bertobp Rising Member

Ok:thumbsup:

2. Froggydarren

Froggydarren Rapidly Rising Member

Day one for me this one :) maybe now i can play pier solar lol....but what would be class as your still selling the entry level everdrives you offered some type of trade in/upgrade were by i could send in my everdrive which you could refurb and resell and knock off a % of the price of the mega everdrive :)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  3. StoneAgeGamer

StoneAgeGamer Intrepid Member

Problem with your idea is that only the latest PCB revision (2.5) EverDrive-MD would be worth any decent value in trade in and most likely you could get quite a bit more selling your EverDrive-MD than you would actually get via a trade-in.

Its something to consider, but really I am unsure if it would be practical with all the different PCB versions there are. Its not like you can take a PCB 2.0 and mod it into a PCB 2.5 for resale.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  4. goldenegg

goldenegg Active Member

Wow ... I don't visit this board for a few weeks and I see we can now expect a Mega Everdrive and PCE Everdrive at some point in the future. Awesome news indeed! Count me in for at least 1 of both, but most likely 2 or 3 of the PCE carts :)

5. Froggydarren

Froggydarren Rapidly Rising Member

I do understand both the pros and cons of this idea and you do bring up a good point about PCB version ect but im already looking to offload my everdrive (latest revision by the way lol) so i can put the cash towards this :)

iv already got the feeling this will be up there with the ED64 cost wise maybe more so so anything that can make the upgrade more affordable is good for us the fans :) but its also not a easy idea to implement but i had to put it out there lol :thumbsup:

on a side note are you guys taking pre orders?

6. derekb

derekb Well Known Member

yeah, theyre going pretty all out on the sd2snes, its even planning to support byuu's msu1 implementation (basically mass storage support for snes roms to access)

7. StoneAgeGamer

We will eventually.

8. kineticbeam

kineticbeam Member

It would be cool a Game Boy Everdrive in the future.

9. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Member

PCE, totally cool :D
    It has some really nice games, indeed :)

NES would also be nice, yeah. Had some great titles :)

10. Eke

Eke Spirited Member

Seems awesome, can't wait to see what you are going to implement in FPGA .

About Mega (or maybe future Giga :) )Everdrive, I have a long-awaited feature that I am wondering if you could do some day: an additional accessible cartridge port which could be used to dump cartridges to SD, with our own software running on MD side.

This would actually help work with a few games that remain undumped because they use odd banking hardware or uncommon signals on cartridge port (!AS, !DTACK, etc).

Everdrive could "simply" switch into a passthrough device when asked by software (running from RAM obviously) and return data from the cartridge, with still the ability for software running to MD to write SD as well as the connected cartridge. Pretty much like Pro Action Replay cartridge works.

I don't have much hope for this one though, just bringing it in ;-)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  11. technohat

technohat Member

If such a thing were to be done, it would probably be better to just include a set of contact pins on the circuit board. That way only those who would really need that feature could wire up their own cartridge port or pay extra to have one wired up for them.

The ability to back up cartridges as well as the ability to backup and load save files to carts would be pretty cool though.

12. StoneAgeGamer

I would look into Retrode2 that will be coming out soon of you want to dump your own games.

13. brainpann

brainpann Site Supporter 2012

What other purpose will there be for the ultimate mega everdrive other than playing the Ultimate Mortal Kombat Trilogy genny rom? I am only asking because I am looking to buy Everdrive MD but may hold off for the new one.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  14. KRIKzz

KRIKzz Well Known Member

currently i don't know what exactly will be implemented, will see

15. Eke

Eke Spirited Member

I know about existing dumping solutions. But they only work with the most common cartridge types (which are already quite all dumped) and are not reprogrammable.

Actually, being able to run dumping software on MD side is the only way to dump some particular cartridges. Cf. this thread.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  16. StoneAgeGamer

Alright well I was just offering what I thought was solution. What you are asking for with EverDrive I don't see ever happening. Not many people would really need that.

17. Kefka77

Kefka77 Member

Good to hear Turbo Everdrive is coming, need a beta tester?

Good to hear the Turbo Everdrive (or would a better name be Engine Drive?) is going to become a reality, because the Turbografx pwned the Genesis as far as I'm concerned. While Arcade Card Pro functionality might be nice, don't do it if it's going to jack the cost up too much (contrary to popular belief, they're neither rare nor expensive -- think I got mine for like $26 off E-bay a few years ago). Though converters are a bit pricey (if you have a US system, you need one in order to use the ACP, though converters don't work on Japanese systems without modification, so if you collect real games, the US Turbo is still the one to own). Save RAM backup a la Ten No Koe Card would be a nice trick as well. Not that I need any of this myself. I have an ACP, converter, and Ten No Koe card. Actually, the Ten No Koe Card, along with the Ten No Koe Bank, are practically must haves for Super Magic Griffin owners like me (the bank allows the Core Grafx to save initially, and the card allows the save to be copied onto a device that's not being powered by AA batteries). I have a Turbografx w/ CD unit, System Cards 2.0, System Card 3.0 (Super), Arcade Card Pro, converter, Core Grafx, and Supergrafx (and a currently-non-working Turbo-Express, though I might be able to fix it). I also have two 6-button Avenue Pad controllers (I can play Street Fighter II the right way, and I own the actual card, so I can compare the device to the real thing). So I hope you'll consider me for a beta tester.

Actually, with Bung gone (hmm, "but why is the Bung gone?" lol, sorry, couldn't resist), and my 64M Mr. Flash dead, I would like to see someone make a GB/GBC cart also (I can use my FA carts with the bridge, but that's bulky, and it won't auto-manage saves like the app I had for the GBX did). But I think I'd rather see Bunny do that so I can keep the red cart theme going with all things Nintendo. Anyway, it's better to get the home consoles taken care of first.

I do also have both the Genesis 1 and Genesis 2 (and the 32x and Sega CD2, which are hooked to the Genesis 2), so if you need beta testers for the Mega ED, let me know. I'm not currently planning to buy one, because I already own an Everdrive MD, so it's not like you'll lose a sale. The EEPROM games were all hacked by the scene. And I don't know what that sound chip for the SMS even does. Phantasy Star seems to play just fine without it, so I'm not getting why it's needed. Seems like there's no reason to get it at all, unless Beggar Prince is going to need it. And it makes no sense to buy a new device for one game (well, usually anyway, I bought a GDSF7 because my SWC DX2 wouldn't play Star Ocean, but that was one revolutionary game, since Beggar Prince is an HKO, it probably is not). Why isn't BP dumped and cracked already? It's out of print, and now, as if the original price wasn't a big enough scam (let's see, fan translation of unknown pirate-published game for system that died over a decade ago, or Final Fantasy XII, need I even say which one got my $50?), swindlers on E-bay are trying to outright rob people blind (with misleading ads calling it rare and collectible). Anyway, it's a given that the people you've already got jumping up and down over this thing are going to endorse it, but pull a skeptic like me off the fence, and many more will follow.

Sounds like this Cyclone 2 could probably replicate a Neo Geo (as well as many other arcade systems). Hmm, the Everdrive Arcade JAMMA board. That would be a beautiful thing (Supergun would become a no-brainer investment). Because it is time to start seeking alternative solutions that will make us less dependent on MAME in the future (as if the people we bought oil from weren't crazy enough). Anyone that that can say "being able to play the games is a side-effect" is clearly a Plato-infested nutcase, and not to be trusted with the future of arcade retrogaming (I've also not forgotten how MAME assimilated RAINE and Callus in much the same way M$ assimilated Netscape -- someone needs to break the Borg's stranglehold).

Oh and, an Ultra Super Everdrive, with the ability to replicate the FX2 and other special chips via an FPGA, would probably do well. I would buy one (assuming you give me time to find a job before releasing it, so I can have some money saved up ;-) ). Then again, I'm probably not your average buyer. So that announcement you're not planning to do one somewhat saddens me, but, I'm sure someone will do an all-chips SNES cart eventually.

@technohat:
    OK, not sure whether you were serious with your Powerpak comments or not (seems like you're just trolling to me). I mean, your arguments are so petty it's downright hilarious. If you had ever used a Dr. PC Jr., you might realize just how much of a joke your gripes are (I know, someone else around here always makes the "if you had ever used a Double Pro Fighter" argument, and I'll back him up on that because I own one of those as well, but the Dr. PC Jr. is much worse). Spend $300 to get an NES clone with a floppy drive. Then convert the games you want to play and put them on floppies. 50-50 chance the game runs, and if it does, you're probably still going to have to hex edit the header manually to correct the mirroring. Oh, and forget about saving, it doesn't even do that, you just have to leave it on and hope a thunderstorm doesn't knock the power out. By comparison, any device that plays 99% of the games, with no conversion or hex editing required, and even saves games, and for less than half the price, is a bargain.

Your complaint about the use of CF is laughable (especially since you only need a 2 GB card, unlike the SNES, where you should probably buy an 8 GB). It should be obvious why you DON'T want to use just any SD card you might have laying around, but fine, I'll spell it out for you. Phantasy Star IV loads in 43 seconds off a run-of-the-mill SD card. Final Fantasy III (VI) loads in 13 from my Sandisk Ultra CF. Both games are the same size. That's an unfair comparison of course (I'll get much better load times from the high end 8 GB SD card I bought when I found out ED added SDHC support), but the point was to illustrate that cutting corners on these things is NOT in your best interest. You only need to buy one piece of media one time, because it's (probably) going to outlast you, so just fork it over, it's worth it for the reduced wait.

As for the manual save comment... :lol:. Come on, are you too lazy to use Google? There's an archive of pre-made saves available. Just extract, copy, done.

I also have not seen any jailbars on the regular Powerpak, just one bar down the middle of the Super, and that's barely even visible, and definitely not worth waiting longer for a game to load from an SD card (if it really bugged me, I'd just go back to the SWC DX2, and GDSF7 for Star Ocean, and my Ucon64 drag-and-drop batch file loaders, but I don't even notice it while playing games).

I've also never had any issue with either Powerpak reading my CF cards (just don't buy cheap ghost shift crap from Amazon vendors, go get the real thing from a bricks-and-mortar store like Staples or Best Buy and you should be fine).

Seriously, it seems like you're just going out of your way to malign the other guys. As if the Everdrive MD was perfect? It's slower because it uses SD (though to it's credit it DOES retain the last game in memory to minimize your wait time -- good for going through RPGs, not so useful for playing various fighting games with friends). Then there's the lack of EEPROM support. If it had not been for the original Genesis scene patching every game that used it, that would have been a major issue. Backup devices for the NES are practically non-existent. You miss a feature on that one, there's no scene releases to bail your ass out. I'd venture to say Krikzz would probably do an NES device last, if at all. It would be a support nightmare without all of the mappers properly implemented (believe me, that could take years). Because of the unique direction NES game development took, just putting out a device would only get 10% of the games working. And since I somewhat helped Kalle figure out the MMC3's timing, I can tell you first hand that getting a mapper to work properly on ALL hardware can be a challenge. It's a fairly safe estimate that it will be ten years before anything comes along that can rival the Powerpak. You want to wait instead of enjoying your ROM collection now, feel free. It's your lost time, not mine. I didn't wait around because the Z64 wasn't perfect back in 1998 (nor was the V64 Jr. I purchased some time later). And sure, there's something much better now (I'll order it when I get my tax return), but I have no regrets. I've had some good times with the old Z and it was well worth the investment.

This isn't the DS scene. If the thought of throwing $300 at a backup device makes you flinch, real hardware retrogaming might not be for you. Much like D&D (and the two games that have stepped up to replace the hideous 4.0 -- "Castles & Crusades" and "Pathfinder"), Rifts, World of Darkness, Magic The Gathering, World Of Warcraft, the now dead (after 15 years) FTA satellite "channel testing" game, or the most expensive of them all -- Warhammer 40K (talk about a rich kids' game), this takes money. If you have to think twice about spending on your hobby, your passion probably lies elsewhere. Having 23 different consoles (and 5 hand-helds) all playing backups isn't for everyone.
    /@technohat

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  18. Johnny

Johnny Gran Turismo Freak and Site Supporter 2013,2015

Would be cool to see a PS1 Everdrive using the parallel port. I don't even know if that's possible lol.

19. Kefka77

Kefka77 Member

They made a dongle that played emulators for the PSX expansion port called the Emulator-Z (I have it laying around here somewhere though I've never tried to actually use it, kind of broke the parallel port by leaving the Sharkport connected 24/7, but that was my old 1001, I have a 7501 my game shark works with so I'll have to dig that out and see how it does sometime). Most of the non Game Shark cheat devices will allow you to do the boot swapping trick (assuming you have a spring to hold the lid button down while you do the disc swap). If I remember correctly you press circle (or is it select) to stop the disc, put in your copy, select play game. Actually, I think some of the later versions just automatically stopped the boot disc for you. The Goldfinger did this, for example. They're all based on Caetla. And anything that is can do the trick (the ROMs from which CAN be loaded onto Game Sharks -- I'd know, I used to charge $10 to upload the latest GF ROM to a GS so people could play backups, didn't exactly get rich, but let's just say the Sharkport paid for itself).

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  20. Johnny

Johnny Gran Turismo Freak and Site Supporter 2013,2015

I have one of those Game Shark dongles that let me play imports without any swap trick. I think it's version 2.0 or 2.1 if i'm not mistaken. And i've seen those Gold Finger / Emulator-Z that lets you play Gameboy games as well (without sound). Are they rare?

Anyway, it would be awesome to have some "modern" use for that parallel port. Just saw someone made a IDE Adaptor for a 3D0, making it possible to load isos through an HD or SD card (using a IDE to SD adaptor).

With USB HDD and SD cards getting bigger and bigger, would be interesting to see some development on this, if that's even possible.