Pinballs!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by skarpo01, Dec 8, 2016.

1. skarpo01

skarpo01 Peppy Member

Hello everybody,

Is there anyone into pinballs on this forum? I'm moving to a bigger place soon and the first I'm getting is a pool table and a pinball!

While pinballs might not be as popular as they were a couple of decades, I believe they are still very fun to play and they bring back good memories.

What do you think about pinballs?

kennypecheur likes this.
  2. stevo9389

stevo9389 Plays It Loud

As a kid, they were as far off my gaming radar as watching golf. My interest has grown to where I start looking up the rarity when I find them.

skarpo01 likes this.
  3. kennypecheur

kennypecheur Site Supporter 2016

After your post, I have checked some pinball website in order to have an idea of the price, and I wasn't expecting this range of price ! This is pretty expensive. But as you said in PM, restoring a Pinball machine is long and there is not a lot of people than can do it.

Anyway, this pinball machine is awesome ! (I say this as a huge Starwars fan) :

https://www.libertygames.co.uk/stor...pinball_machines/star-wars-data-east-pinball/

skarpo01 likes this.
  4. crissybwoy

crissybwoy Gutsy Member

I love pinball machines. Used to play often, not so much these days.

5. Tripredacus

Tripredacus Peppy Member

I am technically a professional pinball player. Yes I have won $20 so far this year, but as you can expect I am in the red on the balance sheet.

6. skarpo01

skarpo01 Peppy Member

Back in the days pinball were actually a mix between skill/gambling machines, this one below is an example of an early 'bingo' machine. The point of the game is to shoot the balls in the correct numbers to fill in the grid. I played one of these and I can tell you that it looks very easy but it is very hard!

cb9de9b0249a28c1e5801627aff4541f.jpg

7. Eviltaco64

Eviltaco64 or your money back

I used to play Simpsons Pinball sometimes
    [​IMG]

Pool is fun with the right people.

kennypecheur likes this.
  8. MachineCode

MachineCode The Devil

upload_2016-12-10_18-22-34.png

Had one of these in my basement growing up. Cool machine. Mine was the USA version where as this was modified for a French market.

9. Sonny_Jim

Sonny_Jim Enthusiastic Member

never, ever buy a pinball machine from any of the UK dealers (with the sole exception of Pinball Heaven, top bloke). Everyone else is a rip off merchant or scammer.

First, get yourself to a couple of UK shows or some of the league events, everyone is super friendly and there'll more than likely be one close to you.

Once you've figured out what sort of game you want, then grab yourself a nice game from one of the guys on pinballinfo.com

http://www.pinballinfo.com/community/

Good luck and happy flipping! If you have any other questions fire away!

(source: Worked as a pinball repair engineer for nearly a decade)

10. CRTGAMER

CRTGAMER Robust Member

Recommend as in Arcade Cabinets to test run thru emulation; the Williams and Gottlieb collections in particular. Though not the real thing, you'll get a taste on which machine gives you the best replay depending on personal taste before investing in the real thing.

skarpo01 likes this.
  11. Syclopse

Syclopse .

I use to have Williams' Space Shuttle in the basement, great game.

upload_2016-12-11_9-32-53.png

skarpo01 likes this.
  12. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

I do think the slightly older gamers tend to have more of an interest in it TBH

13. skarpo01

skarpo01 Peppy Member

I am currently planning to get this one, theater of magic, a 'classic' among pinball enthusiast.

14. Tripredacus

Tripredacus Peppy Member

Jumping right into the top huh? TOM is not what I would consider an entry level game. Unless you just have money burning up in your wallet!

15. skarpo01

skarpo01 Peppy Member

Which one would you consider then? Budget is around 2k to 4k depending on the pinball, as long as it is in good overall condition and no additional work is needed.

16. Sonny_Jim

Any pinball table is going to require ongoing maintenance, even brand new in box ones can have faults from the factory. It's just the nature of the beast.

Like I said previously, before buying ANYTHING, go to a few shows and league meetings in your area. You'll get a better idea of what you want, meet some like minded people and have a lot of fun.

If you let me know whereabouts in the world you are, I can dig out some links for you.

skarpo01 likes this.
  17. Tripredacus

Tripredacus Peppy Member

I will be considering one soon also. I agree with Sonny that you should play some first. There are going to be some you do not like and that would be a bad purchase. There will be some you do not like because they are too easy or there is nothing for you to do, so I wouldn't consider those either. And you definately cannot use a video review or even play it in Stern/Pinball Arcade because it is not a true representation.

So for myself, my first one will be something I can afford that I may like. It certainly wouldn't be a brand new machine (I really like Woz) or a high end table like ToM or TAF, but it could be something cheap that I've never heard of before, even an EM is not out of the realm of possibilities. And if you are dead set on ToM, then go look at pinside or klov and look at the repair threads for them. I've played a ToM before and have seen it go from working to not working, and that repair can be expensive or time consuming or maybe you don't know how to do it. Repair in mind is the trunk magnet not working, turning on at the wrong time, not letting go of the ball, not activating multiball or skill shot, since the trunk is a high wear target it ends up having the most problems.

18. Sonny_Jim

Just to add to Tripredacus above, Pinball is hugely subjective, more so than video games in my experience. For example, I quite like Data East WWF and Sega Space Jam, but you'd be hard pushed to find anyone else who does. On the reverse of that, I'm not particularly fond of ToM (too much 'hit the trunk') but you'll find plenty of people who do like it.

In short, one mans trash is another mans treasure and you won't find out until you play a few ;)

Another thing to add, due to the mechanical nature of them, even identical titles will play differently as there can be huge variations in the setup. For example, I've played quite a few 'high end' restored tables that played like crap, as during the restoration process they've effectively dismantled and reassembled the machine. It takes an experienced technician to 'dial in' a machine correctly.

So, in short again, just because you've played a 'good' ToM doesn't mean the one you buy will play the same.

19. Blur2040

Blur2040 Game Genie

Ah, pinball...

My father collected them, so does my brother, so do I...off and on. Space is an issue. Only thing I have right now is a cocktail pinball. Let me say my peace on the subject:

1. Stern pinballs suck. Bad copy and paste art ruins games.
    2. It's difficult to have just one, even if it's a high end modern game. They can get dull. We had some of the top shelf games for a long time and we got bored.
    3. So many machines have been damn near ruined by super high end collectors--old men with money. Let's dismantle, clear-coat everything and fill it with LEDs and mods so they don't play anything like they once did and never will again.
    4. Also, again thanks to bored old men with money, prices have skyrocketed. For the money I pay for a pinball, I can get a swank classic car. And honestly, I'd rather deal with car people.
    5. Half the fun for me is repair. The electronics in pinballs are spread out enough and simple enough that an amateur (like me) can figure it out. See #3 though. Hard to find a good project anymore.
    5. Preview. There are 5-6 guys in your area that own/buy up everything.

If I sound bitter, it's because I am. Pinball used to be a hobby that anyone could get into. There was a high end and low end to to the market, sure, but at least there was a low end. It's attributable to basic supply and demand, I suppose. They don't make many games anymore and more people want them.

20. retro

retro Moderator Staff Member

I would strongly dispute that. There are good dealers. As with ANY collecting circle, they are DEALERS. It's their living, and they do it to make a PROFIT. Sure, you can buy from collectors for less... but good luck if it goes wrong! They probably won't sell it with a warranty, which the dealers are more obliged to do. Plus... have you seen how much it costs to keep an industrial unit full of machines and spare parts?

If you worked in the industry, you would have made a good wage from desperate operators needing your services, keeping their several thousand Pound tables in working order so people keep pumping money in them and making them profit. Sadly, the collector's market isn't good for technicians - they don't want to pay the sort of money it costs to make it worthwhile to repair the machines. These things are old, need a lot of love and attention... and parts that can get scarce nowadays. Fortunately, there are people with deep pockets willing to pay for a reliable machine that they remember from their youths... just as is the same with console collecting. If you're confident you can restore a machine and keep it running, collectors' circles are a good way to get a cheap machine, though - sure!

Not just supply and demand of the machines, but supply and demand of the parts to keep them working and technicians to fix them. If you're not of a mindset that can repair them yourself (and it's not for everyone), you'll have to pay a pretty penny to get your baby fixed.

Aww, poor Gary! How's this for unique artwork? :p

[​IMG]

Actually, good point. Leads me on to....

Nice! Data East Simpsons is one of my favourite tables. Not that Simpsons Pinball Party crap from Stern. Is that your workshop?

A professional in any field is someone who makes their main income from said field. I don't think you lived off $20 throughout 2016.