Pin 16 on SCART cable and consoles

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by helakustorm, Feb 8, 2018.

1. helakustorm

helakustorm Robust Member

Hello,

Does someone knows if I don't solder a resistor to pin 16 (Blanking signal up/RGB-selection voltage up) and solder the wire directly to pin 16 can I damage my CRT Sony Trinitron? And what if I left pin 16 unconnected?
    According to SCART standards, 0 V–0.4 V means composite and 1 V–3 V (nominal 1 V) means RGB only.
    I can switch the output source manually from my remote control (AV1, AV2, AV3 etc) and the aspect ratio/status 4:3, 16:9.
    My question is about consoles in general; I'm more interested in PlayStation 2 for the moment.

Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  2. MonkeyBoyJoey

MonkeyBoyJoey 70's Robot Anime GEPPY-X (PS1) Fanatic

I'm no expert, but sending 5V to something that is expecting 0-3V sounds like a bad idea. Since the PS2 outputs 5V, just bridge SCART pin 8 and SCART pin 16 with a 75 ohm resistor. Better safe than sorry.

helakustorm likes this.
  3. helakustorm

I think I will test it with not connecting the 5V wire to the pin 6 to see If I can switch manually to RGB source.
    I've tested with pin 8 (unconnected) and I can switch the aspect ration from my remote control or the buttons from the TV.

4. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

You need it connected for rgb mode. As you found you can manually switch without the aspect ratio pin

helakustorm likes this.
  5. helakustorm

If I left it unconnected but I switch manually to RGB output it will not work?
    What about connecting it directly to 5V wire on PlayStation 2, can it damage the TV?
    Thank you Bad_Ad84 :)

6. helakustorm

A little update my friends.
    I have cut the 5V wire that was connected to pin 16 from a RGB cable for GameCube and I've tested the wire connection status (connected / unconnected) and I can confirm what Bad_Ad84 was saying:
    If you leave it unconnected the TV will think that the signal is composite and not RGB so connecting that pin with a resistor is mandatory.
    I didn't test the 5V wire connected directly to pin 16 on the SCART without a resistor because I'm a little worried that I can damage something.
    So, the pin 16 from SCART works like this: inform the TV that a RGB signal or composite is active.
    The conclusion: you learn something new every day.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  7. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

It's terminated with a 75R resistor - connecting it via the 100R resistor will result in an effective voltage of 2.14V on the pin and a dissipation of 62mW in the termination resistor. Connecting it directly to 5V will dissipate 333mW in the termination resistor - this probably won't blow anything up immediately, but it's very likely going to be above the resistor rating.

helakustorm likes this.
  8. helakustorm

By the way TriMesh, if I solder a 75R resistor to pin 16 it's an OK value?
    It will be in the 1-3V standard from my calculation.

9. retro

retro Resigned from mod duty 15 March 2018

You really answered your question yourself. The device expects a certain voltage per the standard. If you give it a higher voltage, you can't guarantee what will happen (it will likely not work). It's highly unlikely anything is going to be rated so low that 5 volts will blow it, but give it the right voltage to switch.

Moved to mods as it's more appropriate ;)

helakustorm likes this.
  10. helakustorm

My question about the value of the resistor was that in my quote taken from Wikipedia it said "nominal 1 V" in the brackets and I do not know exactly what they meant with that.
    In my searches, the majority of the people were using 100R, 150R, 180R values for the resistor and I was thinking that you can use any value in the range of 1 V–3 V SCART standard.
    I see a more technical explanation about a dissipation from TriMesh
    I ask these things because I'm not very knowledgeable about electronics in general but I like to document myself.

Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  11. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

Yeah, 75R is fine, as is anything up to 300R - I guess that 100R was just a number that someone came up with and people use it because it works.

helakustorm likes this.
  12. retro

retro Resigned from mod duty 15 March 2018

You can indeed use any voltage in the range. Ultimately... measure it to see if it complies with whatever resistor you choose.

helakustorm likes this.
  13. helakustorm

Because everyone was so kind with me I present you my modified (thanks to eviltim diagrams site) images for PlayStation 2 RGB cable:
    - Csync over composite video: https://imgur.com/tAdKq4X
    - Csync over luma: https://imgur.com/BN8Fb95
    I've posted both of them because I encounter TV's with RGB suppport but no S-Video.
    Use them as you wish :)

Thank you!