Piko Interactive's Proto/Copyright Acquisitions - Official Thread

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by pichichi010, Oct 27, 2016.

1. pichichi010

pichichi010 Rising Member

Hey Guys, so lately we have been working on full force to acquire prototypes along their rights to finish the games and publish them. I want to keep this thread open to discuss the games that we have acquired and the status of each game (usually we get games incomplete).

-Game Name - Status - Description
    -
    Dorke and Ymp SNES - Fully Playable - New World added from source code acquired, New music, bug fixes, and additional boss fights. Available for purchase at http://pikointeractive.com/store.html and Steam.

- Pinkie SNES - Fully Playable - debug mode turned off - Currently WTB CD32 and Megadrive protos. Scheduled to release in 2017

-Indigo ST/Amiga - Fully Playable - Game fully playable dumps available online. We are planning GBA/GenesisJaguar ports along physical CD32 physical release.

-
    Tyrannosaurus Tex GBC - Fully Playable - Proto Rom acquired from fellow Assemblergames member, seems to be fully playable working on a couple of small things that need polish. Physical release for GBC planned for 2017. PC Remaster planned as well as Genesis port planned.

-
    Jim Power The Lost Dimension Genesis - Fully Playable - Optimized to work on both PAL and NTSC, fully playable with all songs, will be released in a planned Jim Power Crowdfunding campaign along with every physical version of every Retro platform.

-
    Video Kid SNES - NOT FOUND - Unfortunately the programmer and sub-publisher lost all data of the SNES version. WTB SNES prototype. Hoping Kemco Japan has a back up somewhere.

-
    Switchblade II NES - NOT FOUND - Developer who coded mentioned he may have a back up but lead went cold. Currently WTB prototype of the NES version; hoping Kemco Japan has a back up.

-
    Madness House of Fun Genesis - NOT FOUND - Have a lead of the game,confirmation of its existence and "several levels developed. Game was based of Harlequin with music from the UK band. WTB Prototype.

-Alfred Chicken Sega Genesis - Found/WIP - Found working binary from original developer. Soundless, no music, no FX; working on inserting both of them. Most SFX have been inserted, music needs to be developed in VGM format. New tools under development to convert or re-compose music to VGM. ROM has been tested with other VGM songs and works. May be released in 2017

-ODEMA GBA - Found /WIP - Found the source code for part of the games, art assets for the full game and very early build of the game. Game will be re-written from scratch it seems. Have a lead of a collector that owns a later proto but not willing to sell. WTB Proto for ODEMA GBA

I've been very busy, this is time consuming and expensive, but I'm glad there is progress. Any comments or questions please let me know. Any lead of attainable license/rights protos would be appreciated!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
    wombat, supersega, Gree443 and 6 others like this.
  2. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

Curious to see how T-Tex looks on the GBC in a more complete form. You might want to change the color of your text though, the white doesnt show up on other skins.

kennypecheur and DeChief like this.
  3. pichichi010

Thanks! I didn't know there were skins. This is the way the forum shows for me.

DeChief likes this.
  4. DeChief

DeChief Rustled.

All of this sounds incredible, I'm definitely interested in buying any physical releases - especially the CD32 ones! One question though, will the CD32 games be compatible with a regular Amiga (like an A500 or A2000 or something)?

5. pichichi010

Im not sure, as A500 takes only floppy right? We might do something like Cinemaware retro in which the CD works on PC/MAC and CD32 as well as includes the builds for you to burn in disks if you'd like to play on older Amigas.

6. DeChief

DeChief Rustled.

After a bit of googling it seems like the CD32 was based on the A1200, so an A500 is probably out of the question anyway. I was under the impression that CD32 games were compatible with some Amiga computers if you had an external CD-ROM drive.

Regardless, including builds to burn sounds like a better idea!

7. kennypecheur

kennypecheur Site Supporter 2016

The final version of T-Tex is really good ! Pretty hard game, but music is good. And graphics are really impressive for GBC.

Thanks @pichichi010 for all these good news :)

Borman likes this.
  8. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

You have proof you obtained the rights to the titles you are selling?

9. pichichi010

Yeah, won't really show paperwork unless your lawyer requests it. But for reference you can talk to original copyright owners, there is not other better way =D.

kennypecheur likes this.
  10. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

Huh? You can't post legal proof?

This is basic stuff. All you need to do is link to your copyright. Even youtube requires this.
    Did you not register copyright?

Also since they didn't keep up the trademark since 1993, anyone can legally use the name
    "Norse"

Did you just buy the code off a guy and not speak to a lawyer before buying the rights?

You're using Nintendo trademarked logos on your repros. Don't you know you may be sued for that?
    The swoosh, fonts, the "only for nintendo arrow". Copyright on those is 120 years, or until the year 2113.

You're acting like a business but you're setting yourself up for some serious pain....

Anyway, that's my two cents. Best of luck to you.

11. kennypecheur

Did he says he can't ? He says he won't.

12. pichichi010

Yeah I won't; You would need to sue me to be able to see any paperwork. And would be a bit too expensive for you just to prove a forum point.
    You seem hostile towards this thread, you seem to be the owner of the forum. I suggest you delete because it will be bugging you I am sure.

-I don't need to register a copyright. Copyright is acquired the second you design something, the key is making sure you got something to prove you made it and when.

- I don't care about Trademark honestly, trademark only is useful if you have a brand. I am not Norse, we added the logo to D&Y because the team that made the game requested it. It is just respect towards the original developers. I don't care if everybody uses the name, I am not doing business as Norse. Also I am not selling clothing or mugs, and even then Copyright or proof of ownership can come in.

- Even if I buy code off a guy without speaking to a lawyer, if the "guy" made the code, he owns the code as simple as that. If the guy made the code for other company while getting fully paid, that other company owns the code.

- We don't sell repros. Everything is properly licensed. We don't release any games without actually paying royalties, getting a contract etc. We don't use any Nintendo logo in any commercial/physical product. A Triangle is a shape, I don't think they can copyright that.

-I am acting like a business because I am a business.

Appreciate your two cents.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  13. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

Dude what.png

This entire post is asking for more legal trouble than even I'm currently in.

Please think about this before posting any further, because you will be in very VERY deep shit.

14. pichichi010

Care to Explain?

15. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

Assembler explained it well enough already.

Unless you mean my spot - in which case, no I will not be explaining.

16. kennypecheur

You have legal trouble PixelButts ? Hope this is not too serious.

In order to calm down a bit the situation, I think that Pichichi010 wasn't looking to cause any troubles by posting this thread. He was just looking to keep us updated about their next games. The Assembler question was pretty interesting, but was maybe seen as rude (no offense).

I am pretty sure that Pika is aware of the legal issues that they can face if they don't have game rights, especially with Nintendo. So I guess they have all the "papers" needed. Their business isn't new, and if Nintendo or someone else wasn't ok with one of their games, they could have already been taken down.

On the other side, I understand Assembler with his question. This Forum and the members here are pretty worried about legality of most of the content here. This Forum is one of the only who cares about legality and copyright, and Assembler probably don't want to see this forum being associated with any illegal activity (I am not saying that Pika do illegal things).

Now, I will be really off topic but the Pixelbutt drawing above make me think of a comic book I have read about H.P.Lovecraft, and it totally gives me the will to read it one more time :)

17. pichichi010

Actually Nintendo addressed us on the Wisdom Tree Kickstarter and their lawyer was pretty cool asking us to change some design things on the controller as they had just recently acquired a design Trademark on the controller design. Once everything was clear, we shake hands and everybody went their way.

Syclopse and kennypecheur like this.
  18. kennypecheur

When things happen this way, this is always better :)

Actually, I know one of the Lawyer who works for Nintendo of Europe. He always got nice goodies and t-shirts from Nintendo, and since he know I collect video games, he always give me all these goodies :)

19. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

This is cool, two games I'm interested in when they come out :)

20. Punch

Punch RIP AsssemblerGames, never forget.

Can you post a link, this is very interesting, esp. for people who still do homebrews for nintendo platforms. Looking at what had to be made to be able to publish Retro City Rampage on Nintendo platforms and their stance on emulators, I thought their response would have been the opposite.

Borman likes this.