Piko Interactive - Duke Nukem 3D Sega Megadrive / Genesis - Official Re-release

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Aydan, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Aydan

Aydan Spirited Member

Just wondering if anyone heard about or seen this?

It;s pretty cool that they got in contact with 3D realms etc to get the rights to officially re-release this for retro fans. They also did some fixes and other things such as adding a crosshair and better turning/scaling.

I picked up a copy and gave it a quick look over. While it's a somewhat broken game with it's insane difficulty it's still a cool piece of history to own and I love it if only for it's technical achievement by running on a stock system.

Just makes you wonder why they never made an official port of Wolfenstein 3D back then. It's clearly possible :/

.PS. No, not a paid shill. Just a genuine fan and another nobody in the retro gaming corner.

lolzvid, spinksy, americandad and 2 others like this.
  2. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

I thought Gearbox owned the rights to anything Duke Nukem related?

3. Aydan

Aydan Spirited Member

The entire situation is a little confusing still, you see the Duke Nukem games still being sold under the Apogee name too and 3d realms. No idea how it works or whether gearbox only own FOREVER and whatever comes out from here on?

4. sonicsean89

sonicsean89 Site Soldier

I thought Gearbox only owned future Duke games, whereas releases of I, II, 3D and the other ones were still Apogee/3D Realms. Though I don't know for certain, but the 3D Realms anthology includes Duke games.

5. MBMM

Would it be just re-releases that gearbox owns? I believe those in the anthology are the originals. I think there was some Duke Nukem 3D remake that got shut down. Not sure.

6. sonicsean89

sonicsean89 Site Soldier

But the anthology is full of games Gearbox doesn't own too. It's a lot of old Apogee games, like 40.

7. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

And that thing the topic's about as well!

Seriously, I think it's cool that someone went to this length. Looks a bit hobbled, but cool they even tried in the first place. I'm not sure what's up with the weird colors though. I'm not surprised this is possible to be honest, I mean the stock Genesis was way better at 3D than the stock SNES, which got Wolfenstein.
    This would sure be a conversation starter to any Duke Nukem fan, heheh.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  8. sonicsean89

sonicsean89 Site Soldier

I want to say TecToy used like a mobile phone port for the Brazilian version, but I'm not 100% (I know they did that with other games they brought over).
    Did it ever see a cart version in Brazil anyway?

9. lolzvid

lolzvid Peppy Member

Yes, there was a cart release by here.

[​IMG]

10. MBMM

http://www.gearboxsoftware.com/dukestatement/

They claim to be the full and rightful owners of the franchise. Sorry if this is off-topic, I'm just surprised this hasn't met any opposition. I thought they would have had to get approval from Gearbox.

11. XxHennersXx

XxHennersXx I post here on the toilet sometimes.

Pretty neat this came to fruitition

12. Aydan

Aydan Spirited Member

It's an interesting subject regarding 3d realms and gearbox. though recently they did have a legal case going on in court so clearly the line is still a little blurry in some areas. Either way it's still awesome to see the game fnally get a release worldwide and with some improvements made to it!

While it's still unpolished and flawed in the gameplay dept. (enemeis should be made to shoot slower and less accurate being the main thing, or reduce their damage considerably) it's an incredible technical achievement to see something like that running on a stock sega megadrive/genesis.

It just makes you wonder what else could have been.. While we have the homebrew port of Wolfenstein 3D I honestly wonder why no official version came out back in the 90s. I think I read somewhere it was being worked on but nothing came of it?

This goes to show that it was certainly doable!

13. Punch

Punch RIP AsssemblerGames, never forget.

Did they buy the Mega Drive version from TecToy too? That's very interesting.

14. Aydan

Aydan Spirited Member

There's an interview on youtube where sega16 speak with the chaps at piko interactive in regards to how they get the licenses to do the reproductions and stuff. I'm gonna pick up water margin next for sure. The game looks awesome and they do great quality with their art, boxes and manuals etc. Was really impressed with Duke 3D.

15. Ninsega

Ninsega Newly Registered

And what exactly was said in the interview? I'm not sifting through ~30+ minutes of talking.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Piko managed to squeeze into an agreement with 3D Realms before Gearbox laid the smackdown, and Gearbox's lawyers haven't caught wind of this yet. But as soon as they do, the case will be blown wide open again.

16. americandad

americandad Familiar Face

Could share the link, please?

17. Xzx123

Xzx123 Robust Member

Maybe Randy Pitchford will get in another twitter war.

18. floob

floob Member

Here is some Wolfenstein on the Megadrive for comparison:

19. pato

pato Resolute Member

I have it, extremely difficult game, and it only contains an episode from the game, but it was an technical feat for Tectoy and brazillians and didn't even rely on special chip.

Here is the part of an interview with TecToy founder and CEO, Stefano Arnhold, where he says how they managed to create it.

lolzvid likes this.