PCE/TG16 HuCard Everdrive...

Discussion in 'Turbo Everdrive' started by goombakid, Mar 6, 2011.

1. haynor666

haynor666 Spirited Member

Most of time works but sometimes during programming program stops shows any progress and I have to restart program and again choose roms to flash. The same goes to megadrive software. Only Tigersoft SNES flash was the only cart that works without any flaws but then there was limit only 4 games on flash so if I have flashing 4 games for just 512kb a waste a lot of space.

2. Corisco

Corisco Newly Registered

It's gonna be really cool if he make this cart. I assure that a lot of guys will gonna buy this. Me included :)

3. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Robust Member

Especially if it could emulate the Super or Arcade cards. :)

4. goombakid

goombakid Spirited Member

5. gtsamour

gtsamour Rapidly Rising Member

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  6. strider

strider Newly Registered

If you make it...i buy it :D

7. geoanas

geoanas Member

Count me in !

8. RaZiel

RaZiel Enthusiastic Member

Really no one likes the NEO flash? I love mine and never had not one problem with it. I have the one with the save feature and the $150 I spent has been well spent. I would still get one of these just for the storage space as the few games it can hold is it's only set back. And yes the ROM's are stupid easy to patch for your region it is only swapping a set of numbers to your region so it is a little different for PCE and TG16.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  9. sheath

sheath Spirited Member

I think the best thing about the earlier everdrives was the sub-$100 price point. Since the Everdrirve 64 this has seemed to have changed though. I am starting to consider the NEO flash as well.

10. gtsamour

I have it too and liked it a lot, till the bad mamory blocks started appearing out of nowhere. You wait and see....
    Component quality in NEO is cr@p.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  11. StoneAgeGamer

StoneAgeGamer Intrepid Member

The ED64 is more expensive because it requires more expensive components.

Igor is not raising the price arbitrarily because he thinks he can. So unless the PCE/TG-16 ED (if it were to ever be made) would require similar components, which I doubt, it would probably be inline with MD and SNES EverDrive price.

12. gtsamour

PCE must be relatively easy to make, as a design I mean. It must be prety much as easy as a Master system everdrive.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  13. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

Only way to really lower the price (considerably) would be to start placing component and PCB orders in the realm of tens or hundreds of thousands or even millions.

Quite frankly I doubt there is a demand for a full million of any of these carts unless the price was around $20 and you could find them at every GameStop in the US. Then you'd probably find Sega and Nintendo sending mercenaries into the Ukraine.

14. lost69

lost69 Active Member

i think it whould not be a large market for this kind of ever drive i mean by how many of they machine's whery sold world wide and i think most of they games were made on cd based for they us markit to.

15. MottZilla

MottZilla Champion of the Forum

The TurboGrafx 16 didn't sell as much as the SNES or Genesis but it sold approx 2.5 million in the US and 10 million world wide. Many games were for the CD add-on but a large number were on HuCards and the non-CD games were the most common for the TG16 since the CD add-on didn't do as well as it did in Japan.

EverDrive for PCE/TG16 may not sell as many as SNES or Genesis but other than Gameboy I can't think of another console to make a EverDrive for that would sell well and be desired.

16. Dandy_Sephy

Dandy_Sephy Active Member

Apart from Nes/Famicom (could conceivably be a famicom cart with an adapter case for nes).

The problem with Pc Engine are two fold. One is a question of region (japan only, or some form of configurable pinout) and the other is size. The Hu card design doesn't lend itself well to a flashcard, and thats without considering that it would also have to fit within a Duo's card bay which prevents you making the card too big. Every other Everdrive fit's within a standard cart casing. A Pc Engine flash card requires much more consideration.

as for Hu card number vs cd-rom, it's worth remembering that many of the cd games are just reissues of hu-cards, and there are still well over 100 hu card games.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  17. lost69

lost69 Active Member

i forgot that to Dandy_Sephy it whould be more of a pain to make one fit a hu card sheel conpare to they other ED. in my book if he made but it is no big deal to me because they relly dont have any games i whant to play ether. i manly buy old macheins for game's i relly whant to play to.

18. Prodigal Gun

Prodigal Gun Member

Turbo Observations

First off...thanks to MotZilla for his balanced and informed post! :thumbsup:
    And thanks to StoneAgeGamer for his incredible store. His Cart Versions and work are every bit worth their price! :nod:
    And now the rest.

List of Good to Great TurboGrafx HU Card Games
    This is not a complete list...just the ones I want to mention.

Pinball
    Alien Crush
    Devil's Crush
    Time Cruise

Platform
    Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu
    New Adventure Island
    Bonk III - Bonk's Big Adventure
    Bonk's Adventure
    Bonk's Revenge
    Somer Assault
    Pac-Land

Shmups
    Dead Moon
    Galaga '90
    Soldier Blade
    Blazing Lazers
    Super Star Soldier
    Dragon Spirit
    R-Type

Strategy
    Military Madness

Adventure
    Neutopia - Great Zelda Like Game
    Neutopia II
    Dungeon Explorer

Arcade
    Parasol Stars - The Story of Bubble Bobble III

Horror Arcade
    Splatterhouse

Puzzle Action
    Chew Man Fu
    Bomberman 93

Japanese
    Batman - Strange Maze Game but very interesting
    Don Doko Don
    Dragon Egg
    Gekisha Boy [Photo Boy]
    Kato Chan & Ken Chan - Uncensored Humor Platformer
    New Zealand Story
    Rastan Saga II
    Shinobi

Japan Shmups
    Detana!! TwinBee
    Parodius Da!
    Final Soldier
    Coryoon
    Dragon Saber
    Download
    Salamander
    Gradius
    Darius Alpha
    Plus About 30 other Japanese Shmups that that are fairly good and I don't even have space to mention all of the great Shmups that are CD exclusives. (Like the Sega Saturn, if you've missed the Japanese CD releases, you've missed the best part of the system)

I believe only two of these HU Cards were made into CD Games...Gradius & R Type.Most of these games are not on other 16 bit systems...Devils Crush, Rastan, a different Darius, a different Bomberman and different Adventure Island.

I know that the Turbo was an 8 bit processor, but it was a 16 bit graphics processor that tremendously exceeds the NES and very much competes with the Genesis. The sound was superior to the NES and different from the Genesis...sometimes inferior and yet many times outstanding and unique. Like the Genesis and SNES, sound needs to be experienced in stereo to truly be enjoyed.

If both Tototek and Neo can make HU Flashcarts, then I have absolute confidence that Krikzz can exceed them. No more parallel ports and no more bad memory sectors...Just Everdrive goodness. Not to mention that this would complete the collection of Flash Carts for the 16bit mainstream era. And of course this would be the first time that anyone solely provided carts that could keep 95 percent of the individual romsets on each respective cart

Just so you know, I am not a rabid Turbo fanboy. I have the NES, Genesis, SNES and N64 in my home on their US release dates and I play them all with great enjoyment. They are each unique and fantastic in their own ways. And yet the TG16 or Turbo Duo are equally unique and fantastic by providing great games that no one else even touched on 16 bit cart systems.

I have a Neo Flash Cart...but Everdrive would cause it to be forgotten and discarded.

Genesis/Megadrive Super Nintendo/Famicom TurboGrafx/PC Engine
    I hope the 16bit Circle is completed by the only person who will do it right!

Thanks KRIKzz :clap:

19. MottZilla

MottZilla Champion of the Forum

The region issue is a non-issue. Some data lines are swapped around on the US system. You could actually have a switch on the pcb if you wanted to route the lines as needed, or just have a jumper on the PCB to set the region.

Your size issue is another non-issue. Both Tototek and NeoFlash made Flash Carts already and they fit the different systems. I have a Tototek Card and it fits into my DUO-R fine, yes it stick out from over the lid cover but I don't card about that. If a PCE EverDrive would fit with the lid cover closed that would be nice but not a requirement in my opinion.

20. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Robust Member

My only issue with the current PCE carts is they're flash only. Throw 2MB of ram and an SD card interface on it and I'd be in heaven. :)