PCE/TG16 HuCard Everdrive...

Discussion in 'Turbo Everdrive' started by goombakid, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Trenton_net

Trenton_net AKA SUPERCOM32

@StoneAgeGamer: The deluxe edition is shaping up to be a winner! However, the Vinyl coat scares me as the little Hu Card sleeves go melty and sticky over time. Will this happen to the flash card as well? I suppose having just the plastic protector would be good enough, as it allows people to service the card if something goes bad.

PS: When will the card be back in stock you think?

2. StoneAgeGamer

StoneAgeGamer Intrepid Member

The sleeves and vinyl coat we use have nothing in common. We are still experimenting with different stuff though. We are not sure how viable coating the PCB will be because of the annoying masking involved. We shall see. The coat also does not cover any components, nor does it cover the JTAG.

No idea at this time when they will be available since product is not finalized.

3. goombakid

goombakid Spirited Member

@StoneAgeGamer: Will you have just the cover available for those of us looking for a cover solution? They look great!

4. StoneAgeGamer

To attach the plastic requires modification to the PCB. We will not be selling the plastic separately.

Our policy is that we do not sell any part of the Deluxe Edition separately. The only exception we will make is if the customer bought the board from us and later decided they wanted a Deluxe. There is a few reasons we do this.

First, we don't want a bunch of pseudo-Deluxe floating around.

Second, its not our job to improve on other re-sellers products. Buy cart from someone else and come to us for upgrade. We lose profit of board.

Third. Part of the profit figured into the Deluxe Editions is profit from boards as well as the rest. When you eliminate that profit from the boards it screws everything up. Whether you provide the board or we do does not change the amount of time and effort it takes to do. Really the only way it would be worth our while to do this is to charge you for all profit lost on the board plus the difference from Board to Deluxe. This would be quite expensive and I doubt would have many takers.

That being said, due to the unusual circumstance of the TurboED of not having the advantage of donor carts we may offer Deluxe upgrade to non-SAG customers for a very limited window of about a week. We haven't decided yet though. Still have a lot of work to do.

5. JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze Rising Member

Let me know when you do that, Ryan. I just bought one directly from Krikzz as I'm using it in a Duo, so I don't need to worry about it getting dirty(I'll just put my ROMS in it and leave it be).

BTW, can anyone here vouch that it can play the US version of Cadash without any problems?

6. MottZilla

MottZilla Champion of the Forum

It certainly should play it. There is nothing special about any of the HuCard games besides Populous and SF2CE. If it doesn't work, you probably have a bad rom file, maybe it has a strange header or could possibly be scrambled.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  7. JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze Rising Member

The reason I asked was because for some reason, the US version of Cadash has something in it that made it not work on emulators nor the Neo Flash cart.

I used to use the GoodPCE set, but from doing some research, I saw that the No-Intro set works the best and as such, that's what I'll be using. I had no trouble with the US Cadash in Ootake using the No-Intro rom, so that's a good first step. Now, I'll just have to wait for it to get here....

8. tomaitheous

tomaitheous Spirited Member

Is there any chance of the card supporting the SF2 extended mapper in the future? Would be nice ( a few emulators support it).

9. KRIKzz

KRIKzz Well Known Member

SF2 mapper was always supported by turbo-ed

10. MottZilla

MottZilla Champion of the Forum

He means the *extended* one that supports more ROM/bigger ROM size I think. Tomaitheous, you'll probably have to post a link to details for KRIKzz to know exactly what you mean.

11. tomaitheous

Yes, sorry for not being too clear. By extended, I mean the whole 4 bits are used instead of just the two bits, to the mapper port. Thus, the mapper supports up to 68megabits (the original lower 512kbyte, and 16x banked 512kbyte). So writes to 1ff0 - 1fff range. Mednafen supports it and a few other emulators do IIRC (at least one that does is private still). There's also TailChao's mapper (mednafen supports it), though it's more complicated than the SF2 extended mapper. Also, what about the audio in lines on the cart port and this flash card? Any room for audio emultion/mapper for it (TailChao had plans for this in his mapper IIRC)?

12. KRIKzz

KRIKzz Well Known Member

SF2 mapper use only two bits, whole 8mbyte of memory can be used only with custom OS mapper. Cart does not use audio lines

13. tomaitheous

Would it be possible for Turbo Everdrive to physically support this? And if so, would you be interested in adding this mapper support?

14. Onaryc

Onaryc Member

Hello,

I play with my new recently acquire pc engine GT with the hucard everdrive and i have some requests/propositions for the menu :victorious:

* the reset button is very usefull but, i think, it will be nice to boot on the last open directory and possibly on the last "page" selected on the SD.
    * is it possible to have snapshot of the game in the menu?
    * add a bip (a gentle one) when you change the selection : on my pc engine GT, sometime it is difficult to see if the selection has changed :sorrow:

No revolutionary and no absolutely necessary functionalities here (and perhaps already asked).

Thanks (and great job on the card, it is just a magic combination with the GT :love-struck: )

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  15. StoneAgeGamer

16. Karny

Karny Member

That's a thing of beauty! Amazing work StoneAgeGamer!

For the first time I regret my TurboED purchase... A bit! ;)

Are you still still planning on offering "upgrade" kits to a limited number of people? How much is the deluxe edition?

17. StoneAgeGamer

Pricing on the Turbo EverDrive is as follows:

Board Only - $79.99 (Available again soon)
    Deluxe Edition - $139.99 (More back orders soon)

Upgrading (requires you to send board to us):
    Board Only purchased from Stone Age Gamer to Deluxe Edition - $60.00 (Not available yet)
    Board Only purchased from another vendor to Deluxe Edition - $70.00 (Not available yet)*

* If the board was purchased from another vendor you will only have a limited time of probably 2 weeks to 1 month to take advantage of upgrade. After that we will no longer offer the upgrade to people who bought the board from another vendor. We normally do not offer Deluxe upgrades for boards purchased from other vendors. Due to the Turbo EverDrive's unique nature we are offering it for limited time. We haven't decided when yet, but we will announce it when we do know.

We understand the Deluxe Edition is expensive and not for everyone. Unfortunately almost everything about it is more expensive compared to other EverDrives in the same tier (EverDrive-MD, Master EverDrive, Super EverDrive, etc.) Eventually we may start making Cart Only versions of the flash carts we carry (we already do with EverDrive-GG and Super EverDrive) once we can meet Deluxe demand. We have contracted out a lot of our Deluxe Edition manufacturing and this has helped us dramatically improve our stock.

18. dutch

dutch Spirited Member

Although I appreciate the effort that has been put into the Deluxe version, I would never consider buying it. Not because of the price, but my Everdrive is always mounted, no box needed, and I also like to see the bare pcb with the components on 'homemade' products, like Krikzz's cards, but also like the stuff from Arcadeforge for instance.

19. StoneAgeGamer

Right and of course the Deluxe is not targeted towards someone like you. Many people can't stand the bare PCB and like a complete product. That's great thing about EverDrives is you have the choice and if you don't mind bare PCB or doing shell yourself you can save money. Besides being good products, I think its what has made the EverDrives so popular.

20. Trenton_net

Trenton_net AKA SUPERCOM32

Ah, it's a shame it took so long to come out. Given that the bare unit itself was sold out for the longest time, most people probabably just purchased theirs from KRIKzz's store directly or from another source. Is there an option just for the cartridge shell? I assume not, given you mentioned you don't want to create half-kits. It's just kind of hard to justify a $70 + Shipping purchase when a new Turbo Everdrive is essentially almost the same price. The box, inserts, and other trim are kind of nice, but it would also be nice if users had a choice to lower the cost by not including them. Mostly because, as people have pointed out, the Turbo Everdrive is kind of a special product.