PCE/TG16 HuCard Everdrive...

Discussion in 'Turbo Everdrive' started by goombakid, Mar 6, 2011.

1. MottZilla

MottZilla Champion of the Forum

Plus something using large NAND Flash storage like SD cards beats a device that uses relatively small NOR Flash ROM as you can fit every PCE game you would want to play on a SD card but not likely into the somewhere around 128 megabits that the largest PCE Flash Cart can hold.

I used the Neo Flash Sega Genesis/MD cartridge along with their SD adapter in the past. It was extremely expensive, $200+. It wasn't bad or anything. It included the FM chip for SMS games which some people would like, didn't mean much to me. I ended up selling it and sticking with my ancient Double Pro Fighter until later buying the EverDrive which beats everything else available easily.

2. gtsamour

gtsamour Rapidly Rising Member

The NeoMyth MD cannot play SMS games from SD unless you have the latest version of it which most people don't. You have to flash the SMS games in the flash memory and there is a limit of only 128 games being able to be handled from the menu. So you can only have 128 SMS games in your cart.

The FM chip is fine but at least on my cart, it sounds much worse that it should (ex R-Type SMS game which uses it). It sounds distorted.

The Neo PCEngine cart is good but then again you have a limit of flash space, not like an SD card and I'm very afraid of the flash going bad which is something that seems to be happening quite often in Neo products. Had it happen to me as well on a 512M flash cart and now its useless.

Also it needs special softare to flash games which is very buggy.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  3. MottZilla

Ah yes I remember having to use the 512M cartridge for SMS games where I used the SD card for the MD games. Also the flashing software atleast at the time was terrible since it didn't work on 64bit Vista, and didn't work on Win98SE either, ruling out both my personal computers.

4. haynor666

haynor666 Spirited Member

PCE region is protection is similiar to markIII/SMS but this time pins in numbers are exactly the same but they are swapped. So to play US roms you need swap bits in rom.

5. MottZilla

Uh, no that's not what we were talking about. Yes the US and JP HuCard pinouts have lines swapped. But that isn't the issue with the flash card. The issue is US games will detect a JP console due to a region bit and refuse to run. But since we are flashing the ROM images anyway, we can just modify the software not to do this. He was just saying that UCON64 will automatically search and patch games for you which I was not aware it did that for PCE.

6. goombakid

goombakid Spirited Member

You could either patch the US ROM to work with a JP console or just bite the bullet and just ground pin 29 on the Hu6280. I've region modified both my TG16 and PCE Duo. I thought the pin 29 thing on my PCE Duo was gonna be a bitch, but it ended up being easy to do.

I guess that would be another plus if the actual flash card was able to region patch on the fly instead of applying a patch prior to loading it onto the flash card.

7. haynor666

How could I miss -f option :-0

After patching us games works on pc engine and tototek card.

8. Altair

Altair Newly Registered

Neoflash is expensive garbage, especially their n64 cart. :ayashi:

And yes i would definitely buy a TurboEverdrive if Krikzz ever makes one:).:pray: [​IMG]

9. haynor666

Neo Myth PC Engine 64M is priced right now at 99 USD which is tempting price. Hovewer I have already Tototek card and changing this one only for USB interface is rather bad idea. Both cards still require connection to PC and special software for programming. I've that Neo myth is buggy, Tototek works fine but interface could be better.

For me best option would krizz pce card. Probably it will be at the similiar price as SMD or SNES cards but what I can see right now there isn't many people interested in this card :(

10. goombakid

Not many people in these forums, but if information that a HuCard Everdrive is being produced is posted in other forums, I'm sure there will be a shitstorm of requests for purchases.

It's like the Master Everdrive, not many people in these forums are SMS gamers, but that doesn't mean there aren't any in other sites.

Let's put it this way; If KRIKzz does make a HuCard Everdrvie, I WOULD NOT wait for a group buy like I did with the Super and Master Everdrives. As long as I can use SD (or MicroSD) cards AND have enough space on the Everdrive to play SFII', it's well worth the price and the wait.

If KRIKzz needs a console to use for development, I'll get him a PC Engine and personally mod it for TG-16 or PC Engine games. Yes, he does have a lot on his plate (GG, GB/GBC, N64 Everdrives), but knowing one would be in the works (along with a NES/FC Everdrive, but I digress) would be a great relief.

11. haynor666

We need some kind of poll. People should say what carts they need next. I'll vote for PCE and NES.

12. StoneAgeGamer

StoneAgeGamer Intrepid Member

Poll is fine, but talking to Igor it already sounds like he has a game plan on which carts he will be working on. There's an order he wants to do them.

Trust me he obviously reads these forums so he knows people want a PCE/TG-16 EverDrive. It has been brought up on many other forums as well.

13. stefan.iro

stefan.iro Spirited Member

Well I don´t think NeoFlash is carbage. It has some very nice features and a good looking menu which the other flash cards are missing.
    Although I don´t own the PC Engine card, I can say that all other systems like Genisis/Mega Drive Myth, SNES Myth and N64 Myht support SD cards without flashing the Neo2 SD card every time! :thumbsup:

Additionally it should be compared to the MGD2 which is a multi flash system. You can use the Neo2 cards for GBA, NDS, MD/MS, SNES & N64 just like the SRAM & DRAM cards for MGD2...

14. goombakid

If it came down to it, I would get the Neoflash PCE card over the Tototek PCE card mainly on the fact that it uses USB and not LPT...unless there's a way to use a LPT-USB adapter with the Tototek one.

The thing that stinks about the current HuCard flash cards out right now is that they have limited memory to place games in (Tototek @ 32 MB, Neoflash @ 64 and 128 MB), lackluster software to install games with, and interface.

I imagine that a HuCard Everdrive would be just like it's predecessors; format SD card on console, load games onto SD Card via PC, put SD back in Everdrive, turn on, load game, play.

The only drawback I might see is the whole region thing. Maybe a simple onboard switch on the card itself or some kind of ROM converter perhaps?:shrug:

15. Altair

Altair Newly Registered

Theres always the last resort of doing a http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/pce/region.htm not that complex even with shakey soldering skills.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  16. MottZilla

Again, UCON64 apparently can patch this making it a non-issue. EverDrive itself could even include built in patching to try to eliminate this issue.

As far as region pinout of the console, that wouldn't be hard to work out.

17. grips03

grips03 Rising Member

I would like a PC-Engine everdrive as well. Love the Genesis MD I have now.

18. Karny

Karny Member

Just adding my name to the list of people interested in a PCE Everdrive :thumbsup:

19. arbingordon

arbingordon Active Member

I'd be interested.

20. medisyn

medisyn Member

I too would buy a TG16 everdrive on day 1! Make it happen!