PCE/TG16 HuCard Everdrive...

Discussion in 'Turbo Everdrive' started by goombakid, Mar 6, 2011.

1. MottZilla

MottZilla Champion of the Forum

PCE EverDrive shouldn't cost near ED64 as Krikzz said and because the hardware involved is more like the EverDrive MD, perhaps even less. Krikzz said before it would probably cost similar to the EverDrive MD and I believe him.

Now if you wanted to add features like Arcade Card support then it would cost a whole lot more. But it should be kept simple (and cheaper) and focus on just running HuCard games. As I said before the only benefit to Arcade Card support is for American Turbo DUO/TurboGrafx CD owners who would need an adapter to use the real Arcade Card, but would not need one for PCE ED.

2. veganx

veganx Dauntless Member

I'm basing my assumption in all those people that bought the Super Everdrive for around $100 and are now going to get the sd2snes for $200~.

People want completeness.

If the N64 flash cartridge that was made by Marshall played banjoo toie, a single game more, it would be sold way more than the everdrive 64. Imagine if it could play the nintendo 64 disk drive games? Even that it cost $300 it would sell a lot!
    I don't want to get far from the Turbo Everdrive topic but, again, it's sad that none flash cartridge for the N64 can play disk drive games. Marshall said on irc that it would be possible but would require in his words "Herculean efforts".
    Sorry for the off topic just taking this out of my chest.

3. MottZilla

I highly doubt that "all those people" will buy the SD2SNES to play a handful of games they couldn't before. Some will certainly. But I doubt everyone will spend another couple hundred dollars for those games to work on a new flash cart. I could see it more likely if/when Super FX is added as Star Fox 2 is highly desired. Also if SA-1 was ever added.

People want completeness but they'll still complain about the cost. In general they want way more than they are willing to pay for.

4. veganx

veganx Dauntless Member

That's the human nature, bitching about prices but you'll see sd2snes will sell like water in the Sahara desert. *lame analogy*

5. StoneAgeGamer

StoneAgeGamer Intrepid Member

Great post. I think Super EverDrive will still sell even with the launch of SD2SNES. Just like I think EverDrive-MD will sell with launch of Mega EverDrive.

6. tomaitheous

tomaitheous Spirited Member

NES2PCE scene? Only myself and MottZilla ever did anything with the NES2PCE code (AFAIK) and I'm the only to release the stuff publicly. I hardly makeup a scene as just one person.

7. KRIKzz

KRIKzz Well Known Member

yeah, i got a lot of mails from the people, who want to buy original edmd bit later, but they afraid that i will release expensive mega ed and will stop to build original edmd.

sd2snes and mega ed, is a good test, i will see if really a lot of people would like to pay more for ultimate solution :nod:

8. MottZilla

Whenever I can get a PCE EverDrive, I'd be interested in doing more games with the NES2PCE code. Are you still planning to do more to Mega Man 1, I recall CD-ROM and 4bpp being mentioned in the past.

9. 5432

5432 Rising Member

I hope PCE Everdrive will cost more or less as MD Everdrive. I have a Turbo Duo and CD support it would be great.

10. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

Cost cannot be overlooked, in addition to demand. SNES/SFC, Genesis/MD, N64 have huge user bases. PCE/TG16 is less, although it's owners are very loyal to it. The other thing is collecting for that system costs a lot of money, everything is expensive, so you're kind of used to it. I just hope the price is near what the SED/MED is currently at. I personally would not buy it at a high price to have it include CD RAM cards.

11. MottZilla

What do you mean? Your Turbo DUO already plays CD games. There is only 1 possible benefit which is to have Arcade Card Support for US systems, to load ACD games, which again is stupid given the cost. Or did you mean something else?

12. 5432

5432 Rising Member

Mottzilla, I mean play cd games (yeah, I know about cd copy) images/"roms" on PCE Everdrive. Sorry because english is not my language.
    I don´t know exactly which are the benefits of arcade card.

13. veganx

veganx Dauntless Member

I bet it's not possible, or would require a lot of effort to create a virtual cd drive in the hu card.

Besides this is not even possible with the Mega Everdrive and the Sega CD. You can't load isos from the cartridge.

14. goombakid

goombakid Spirited Member

Each time anyone asks if a cartridge solution will be able to play disc images directly from it, God punches a kitten and KRIKzz would jack up the price on said ED just because.

KRIKzz mentioned before, if you want to play a disc based game, just burn it on a disc.

15. MottZilla

Ok. To make it clear, there is no way for the EverDrive PCE to ever "play CD games" on its own. You must have a PC-Engine CD-ROM or DUO system. If you have this, you can burn games to CD-Rs without any modchip, there is no copy protection.

What people were suggesting was the EverDrive PCE also act as the Arcade Card for PCE which is an upgrade card that lets you play a few Arcade CD-ROM games. The card itself is not terribly expensive but if support for it were added to the PCE EverDrive it would drive up the cost of it by alot.

16. 5432

5432 Rising Member

OK, now it´s clear. Thanks.

17. tomaitheous

tomaitheous Spirited Member

The interface logic to the CD base unit is fairly simple. Access to the CDROM itself is just SCSI commands (limited to CD commands). And the ADPCM controller is pretty straight forward and simple. The cdrom base also uses IRQ2 (shared with BRK) and that's available on the front port. And lastly there's an audio in line cart port (although it's mono). Technically you have everything you need to do a cdrom simulator on the cart port.

But yeah, most people that have a Duo or CD setup wouldn't need it. I could be wrong, but I believe there are more PCE/TG gamers with CD setups than not (since a lot of the attractive/popular titles are on CD).

The CD audio hack for Megaman is done(vid of running on the real system). I also have a build that uses new 4bit sprites (and PCE sprites sizes), but the project as a whole is on hold for now. I've got a game that I'm working on (from scratch) that has priority over everything.

18. MottZilla

The CD audio for Mega Man is very nice. I'll have to look into working with your NES2PCE code some more. Just so many things to do and not enough time for them all.

19. dutch

dutch Spirited Member

Wow, 4 weeks went by without any new input about this great device to come true. So, how is development going?

20. KRIKzz

KRIKzz Well Known Member

now i completely busy by preparing of mega ed to release