PCE/TG16 HuCard Everdrive...

Discussion in 'Turbo Everdrive' started by goombakid, Mar 6, 2011.

1. goombakid

goombakid Spirited Member

I know KRIKzz is inundated with GG, GB/GBC, and N64 Everdrives, but I'm sure not only myself, but possibly others, may and would take interest in an Everdrive for PCE or TG16.

Reason being? Current flash cart options for the HuCards have limited memory (ranging from 32MB to 120MB), giving limited space on what ROMS to carry and making it cumbersome to remove and add games to the card. And to go with a higher end card (more MB of storage), means shelling out more.

Again, I realize KRIKzz has a lot on his plate on Everdrive development, and I'm not asking him to come up with a HuCard Everdrive right at this second. All I'm asking, KRIKzz, is if you may or may not have plans anytime in the future to develop one.

If needed, I'm sure myself, or any other PC Engine/Turbografx 16 fan would donate a working console to help further development. We all thank you for your efforts on creating and producing such a great product as the Everdrive.

2. haynor666

haynor666 Spirited Member

I would also very happy to see PCE cart and if possible with case. Tototek works perfect but again it can't play US games on japan system.

3. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

I don't have a PCE (Turbo Grafx 16 in my parts) simply because there weren't enough cart-based games released in the US to make it worth it. I think there were more on the CD, but I'm not going into that $$$ territory. Would it be possible, using a flash cart, to play a "Super CD" game via the cart port? I know later PCE games required more RAM installed in the system. Was there any special processing that the CD games require like the SegaCD?

4. Alchy

Alchy Illustrious Member

I'd buy one. I've got the Neo flash PCE and it's a nasty little bit of kit, really picky about USB ports, and both the software and hardware are shoddy. A well-engineered solution with mass storage would be excellent.

5. haynor666

but in japan there many fantastic ones in fact better than many megadrive games. Also arcade ports are mostly better than on other machines.

Most games will work with card 3.0 only some req arcade card.

6. Alchy

Alchy Illustrious Member

I've been meaning to ask this for a while and since we're getting onto the topic anyway... I've got an RGB-modded PC Engine (originally done by Console Passion), will this interfere with the CD add-ons?

7. haynor666

His modifications are done through video output so I guess adding cd unit won't change anything. You will still have rgb through video port.

Personally I've modified Tennokoe unit because this was easiest but this prevents me to use cd addon. For cd games I'm planning to get Duo-R or Duo-RX.

8. MottZilla

MottZilla Champion of the Forum

You can but you must patch the ROMs before flashing them.

9. haynor666

I tried using ucon64 but without success. How can I do this exactly?

10. YAGRS

YAGRS Rising Member

I think a Turbografx/PC-Engine Everdrive would be an excellent future project and one that I would definitely purchase. Those of us in the U.S. missed out on a lot of titles, and it would be great to finally be able to play them (especially if there are any English translation patches floating out in cyberspace). I had my TG-16 region modded so that I could use an Arcade Card Pro with it, so I'd be set to try out all those games that didn't make it to the States.

11. MottZilla

UCON64 doesn't support any region patching for PCE. You have to do it manually. Unfortunately since no emulator (to my knowledge) supports letting you set the region bits to JAPAN I haven't felt like making patches or a patch tool myself since testing requires my to go to another computer which can actually program my Tototek PCE Pro card. But basically just like the SNES or Genesis, any software region checks in the ROM can be patched away.

12. goombakid

goombakid Spirited Member

There are a lot of games I'm discovering via emulation that I'd like to play on the console. Hopefully, an Everdrive would be able to also emulate the Arcade Card Pro.

I'm hoping that KRIKzz can chime in if he'd consider making a PCE/TG16 Everdrive.

13. MottZilla

There is no point in "emulating" the Arcade Card Pro. The cost it would add (unless the design used RAM to begin with and not Flash) would be insane. Also it's not like the Arcade Cards are that terribly expensive either. If you can afford a PC Engine and CDROM, then you should be able to afford the Arcade Card.

14. gtsamour

gtsamour Rapidly Rising Member

I agree, not that if it could emulate the Arcade Pro card (which i already have) I wouldn't like it :)

But anyway, to emulate the Arcade Pro card, I think you need RAM and not flash. These cards were providing the console with more RAM and they also had a rom of their own.

I would care for the basic things from a PCE Everdrive....

1. SD card to store the games. It could use RAM instead of flash to run the games from since they are small and ram should be faster than flash.

2. Regional bypass and compatibility to both US and Japanese consoles.

3. Capability to save for the games that have it.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  15. Calpis

Calpis Champion of the Forum

Nope, they don't overlay video, but you probably won't be getting ADPCM or CDDA channels.

uCON64 does support patching, it's the -f switch and I think it works for every game.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  16. DC_Lov

DC_Lov Rising Member

I want one too.

17. raylyd

raylyd Guest

Cool.

18. MottZilla

Wasn't aware of that. I'll have to try it out. Thanks.

19. Purkeynator

Purkeynator Member

20. Alchy

Alchy Illustrious Member

I'd wait and see if someone makes a proper PCE flash cart. I got mine for free (a friend didn't need it any more) but $150 for that product is daylight robbery.