pc infected

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by james2452, Jan 6, 2018.

1. rso

rso Gone. See y'all elsewhere, maybe.

> Windows
    > not malicious software

Win10 is cancer.

8 is just sucky (though not actively malicious), and it as well as 7 won't be supported indefinitely. Give one of the alternatives a try some time at your leisure, before you're forced to do so at some inconvenient point in time.

2. dibmem

dibmem Rising Member

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  3. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

But nobody will force him to upgrade. One can choose to stay on an EOL'ed platform. OP wrote that he's using Windows XP anyway, which has been EOL'ed.

On the topic of malware, it is not like only Windows is vulnerable to such a thing. If Linux seems "safer", it's only because it isn't being a primary target... for at least now.

4. retro

retro Resigned from mod duty 15 March 2018

Aaaand there's your problem.

Use an OS that has support and updates. You have only one choice of browser that'll actually work on XP, too... and it hasn't been updated for some time.

5. james2452

james2452 X360

I do not like window 10. Its not good, I could not use my mod tools on it and it would not let me use AVG . Plus it split my HDD into too parts.

6. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

All of which is user error and not the fact of Windows 10. Use a VM for mod tools.

With my first two weeks working in IT I hear all the same crap about Windows 10 doing XYZ and 'I got infected'. The matter of fact most the time it's users disabling security updates and not being on latest software.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  7. zoom

zoom Member

...well when that does happen, we finally /can/ declare Year Of The Linux Desktop. ;)

james2452, when you take the good advice of Bad_Ad84 and rso (fire & ubuntu), I'll suggest trying Linux Mint MATE as a more familiar desktop for someone coming from XP.

james2452 likes this.
  8. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

I don't really know what you mean. If you mean the 100MB partition that they added, that is something that new versions of Windows will do. They changed that design to hide the important boot files from non-power-users (I'm looking at files like NTDETECT.COM).

9. Leang

Leang king solomon's Angkor Temple

My old PCB with windows xp sp1 is freeze in login screen and when I use win xp installation disc, right when that blue screen start searching the hardware and then it froze. Any ideas how can fix it?

10. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

Given that even the setup disc installer has problems running, I think a hardware problem is not out of the question.
    To troubleshoot, you need to begin with a minimal setup and slowly add parts back in until you find the bad part.

By "minimal" hardware, I mean that you should remove all unnecessary parts, which includes the graphics card and extra memory.

You might want to create your own thread because you probably have a different problem.

11. retro

retro Resigned from mod duty 15 March 2018

Then use Windows 8.1. Or 7. Or a virtual machine. Or Linux. Or have a separate Windows XP PC that remains offline for using any outdated software. Most people opt for the latter or a VM, like Hex said. If your PC came with XP, your biggest problem is likely that it'll run like shit with Windows 10, as it is so old.

A system partition that you don't see usually is a bizarre reason not to like an OS.