PC-Engine Core Grafx RGBAMP CSync CSync Tutorial

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by BlockABoots, Nov 14, 2015.

1. BlockABoots

BlockABoots Gutsy Member

So i thought id do a quick guide on modding the Core Grafx system using the EXT Port pins for video and also csync.

1. My Setup.....

[​IMG]

2. And the casualty.....

[​IMG]

3. You will need a 8 Pin Din PCB Socket....

[​IMG]

4. And will want to cut the rear 3 pins of so it can sit flush to the PCB...

[​IMG]

5. Next we want to remove the original din socket....

[​IMG]

6. My Desoldering gun makes quick work of removing the socket....

[​IMG]

7. Next we want to place the 8 Pin Din socket in place so we can mark where the front 2 pins will go through the PCB. (This is an optional step but is recommend to secure the Din socket more securely or as Bad_Ad84 mentions below you can unclip both the original and new din connectors and use the base of the original one on the new 8 pin din socket and thus remove the need to drill any holes as it will fit back where the original din socket was).....

[​IMG]

8. pin positions marked....

[​IMG]

9. and holes drilled....

[​IMG]

10. scrap down to the pcb core so the solder will better adhere to the pcb....

[​IMG]

11. 8 Pin Din Socket Fitted....

[​IMG]

12. Solder the 4 wires for R,G, B and csync to the Ext Port pins, if your happy to use video sync then don't worry soldering a wire for csync...

[​IMG]

13. We now want to cut the trace for the original video sync and solder the purple wire to this pin from the cysnc pin on the Ext port from the previous step. (This is an optional step and only needs to be done if you want to use csync)....

[​IMG]

14. RGB AMP Fitted....

[​IMG]

15. The RGB AMP needs power so grab 5v and ground from here....

[​IMG]

16. And finally everything wire up....

[​IMG]

17. And the final product....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
    Helder and MonkeyBoyJoey like this.
  2. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

You know that you can unclip the original din connector and most of the new ones and move over the metal piece, instead of drilling a hole

Bearking likes this.
  3. BlockABoots

BlockABoots Gutsy Member

I did, but have you actually tried to get the pins to align up again to put the shell back together, i could never get it to go back together once i took it apart. Unless you know an easier way?

4. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

I found it extremely easy? the front unclips, little metal piece falls out and reverse process to put it back together?

Maybe yours are a little different to the ones I have?

5. BlockABoots

BlockABoots Gutsy Member

Maybe the one i tried was just being difficult, ill give it a go with the next one.

On another note, is there anyway to eradicate the whine on the audio channels that all NEC systems have?

6. BlockABoots

BlockABoots Gutsy Member

Yeah tried taking the Din connector apart and this one went together easier. I have amended the guide to highlight this, thanks Bad_Ad84!

7. kaliki

kaliki Spirited Member

thanks Bad_Ad84! I did always exactly like BlockaBoots (nice tutorial) making two more holes in the pcb or using 8din taken from mega drives which fit perfectly, but never knew the base of these connectors could pop off.....tried now..great!