Panasonic Q DVD drive refurbishing (Drive Belt & Spindle Magnet)

Discussion in 'Repair, Restoration, Conservation and Preservation' started by OniKyanAE86, Aug 16, 2018.

1. OniKyanAE86

OniKyanAE86 Member

So after having my Panasonic Q in storage for about 6-7 years, I decided to take it out and display my console collection at home. I had forgotten how sexy this console looked compared to all the others, lol. In my opinion, to this date, the Panasonic Q is one of the best looking consoles. Well I decided to fire it up and play a couple games, pressed the Eject button and nothing. I could hear the motor spin up, but the tray did not open. I then opened up the "Q" and found that the drive belt had hardened to its final shape around the pulleys which caused the motor/pulley to spin in place. I found the replacement belt from the Console5 website for $3.95, here is the direct link: https://console5.com/store/panasonic-q-cd-tray-drive-belt.html

While I had the "Q" open, I noticed what Iooked like metallic dust on the magnet on the DVD Drive spindle. I started to clean it up and found that the it was actually the ferrite magnet that turned into magnet dust. I was thinking great, now where am I going to find a replacement spindle with the magnet. I started looking and searched online, spindles of course are not available, and if they were they probably would be in the same shape. I cleaned all the ferrite magnet dust and removed the glued metallic foil that once was the outer lining of the magnet from the brass spindle. I then measured the opening where the magnet used to be and found that the outer diameter is 12mm, the inner diameter is about 5.13mm, and that it is about 3mm deep. I searched and somehow found the ferrite magnet that looked like would work: https://www.guysmagnets.com/ferrite-magnets-c13/12-mm-x-5-13-mm-x-4-mm-c1-16-pole-ferrite-ring-p8414

I then thought about how this new ferrite magnet might do the same in the future as the original did so I decided to look for an alternative that would be a bit more future proof. I searched and could not find the exact magnet I was looking for, but it has the correct measurements for it to still work for this application (12mm outside diameter, 6mm inside diameter, and 1mm thick). This is the Neodymium ring magnet I found: https://www.umagnets.com/p/12mm-od-...dymium-ring-magnets-12mm-x-1mm-with-6mm-hole/

After waiting for a couple days I got my parts and started the process of fixing my "Q". I replaced the belt which turned out to be super easy after finding that the two gears that block the belt from coming off have some paper thin c-clips that need to be removed from the shaft that keep the gears in place to be able to access the belt. As for the magnet. I test fit it on the spindle and the two parts fit, but the magnet would have to be pressed in. I used my fingers to press it in, but I was only able to start the magnet into the brass spindle. I though about hammering the magnet in place, but that would cause damage to the drive motor, bend the shaft and make the spindle wobble, or something else. My search then started for a small bearing press that would fit the spindle. I then found a small cheap battery terminal/wiper arm puller that would work as a press and do the job: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076PY8785/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Using the terminal/arm puller as a press, I put a brass key in between the magnet and the press for two reasons. One, to keep the press and magnet from sticking to each other. Two, so that the magnet would be pressed in even, to the edge of the magnet opening on the spindle. After a couple turns on the press, the magnet seated in place. I put my "Q" back together, fired it up, DVD tray ejected as it should and the game discs and DVD's I tried were all read without issues as they were able to spin correctly. I hope this information comes in handy to anyone else that is looking to fix their Panasonic Q that may have these issues. I couldn't find much information regarding replacement parts for the DVD drive, but through my searches and the fixing of my "Q", I linked what I used to fix my Panasonic Q.

Here are some pics of the DVD Spindle with magnet installed and the other parts used.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  2. Tokimemofan

Tokimemofan Dauntless Member

It’s not a ferrite magnet, it is neodymium. Perhaps we need someone to make replacements, all of these I’ve seen have significant decay due to the nickel plating flaking off. A samarium cobalt magnet should work too, those don’t need a plating.
    Edit make sure to clean up the dust, it is conductive and sticks to everything

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  3. OniKyanAE86

OniKyanAE86 Member

Yeah, so I did meticulously clean the magnetic dust making sure not to have it spread around as you can see from the pictures. Luckily it was all concentrated on the spindle and the plastic/metal disc top hat on the top cover of the DVD drive that clamp together to hold the disc. So far been super happy with the results, working like the first day I got it.

4. dylbob42

dylbob42 Site Supporter 2015,2016

thanks for posting!
    I just got up the nerve to pulling mine apart to see what what was jamming the door (belt).
    just ordered the bits you recommend and just realized that i didn't know what polarity it was meant to be placed in

Is it N up or S?

Attached Files:

5. Tokimemofan

Tokimemofan Dauntless Member

The magnetic polarity is irrelevant

6. dylbob42

dylbob42 Site Supporter 2015,2016

awesome, cheers