Panasonic Q drop-in fan replacement? [F76 error]

Discussion in 'Repair, Restoration, Conservation and Preservation' started by stalkaxe, Mar 16, 2018.

1. stalkaxe

stalkaxe Newly Registered

I recently purchased a Panasonic Q, and it works perfectly, but the fan is a little loud. I tried replacing it with a stock Gamecube fan, and later a Fractal Design FD-FAN-50-SSR2 (12v) silent fan, but in either case the system shuts down with an F76 error a few seconds after startup.

Putting the original fan back in place fixes the problem and it works perfectly.

Can anyone recommend a 12v silent fan that's a drop-in replacement on a Panasonic Q?

For reference, a standard Gamecube fan vs. the Panasonic Q fan:

https://imgur.com/a/lz0Lf

Thanks for any suggestions!

Attached Files:

Pinta77 likes this.
  2. creib

creib Member

3. samson7point1

samson7point1 Spirited Member

My Q has a noisy fan I've meant to replace for a long time. I'd be interested in knowing what you land on.

In the mean time, your question intrigued me so I dug a little. You probably already know this, but it looks like that error message is related to power failure as it's the same error displayed when capacitors in the PS go bad. Maybe the new fan is drawing too much current for the supply to keep up. There may be a way to reduce the current draw (maybe with resistors or an inline potentiometer). It's possible this could be "fixed" by replacing one of the capacitors on the power supply with one rated slightly higher. One guy got away with replacing a 150uf 400v cap with (essentially) a 200uf 400v cap. It was for some random Panasonic DVD player, but I'd bet the PS in the Q is pretty similar if not exactly the same thing.

Hopefully my amateur musings on the subject will inspire one of the engineers hanging around here to hop on and set the record straight.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  4. JATO

JATO Seeker

Yep that fan matches the Q fan in my parts console.. There is a Panasonic DVD Player I found that uses the same drive as the Q, I don't remember the model number I pulled the drive out and tossed it..Strange though you wouldn't think changing a 2 pin fan would cause an error, it has no tach wire..and unless the current is much higher than 0.11A on the replacements that is a strange situation. I just noticed the replacement fan in the pic say's 0.06A that's lower than the oem fan.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  5. bart_simpson

bart_simpson Dauntless Member

F76 error is a bad fan ?? i had this error on one i tryed to fix many moons ago.

6. JATO

JATO Seeker

7. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

could be a current sense issue

8. Pad17

Pad17 Rapidly Rising Member

I now know the Panasonic Q very well because I had the opportunity to repair / modify several units.

Like all Panasonic devices, F76 error is a voltage problem. The reasons for this error are many for the Panasonic Q:
    - bad contact when reassembling the device (a ground problem)
    - one of the 4 fuses on the PSU board is dead
    - or, a faulty fan that makes a short circuit (without affecting the fuses, but which causes this error).

@stalkaxe , you have to do a very simple manipulation on your Fractal. The original fan has two wires (one red and one black), and your Fractal has normally 3 wires (red, black and a yellow wire for regulation). Just bridging the red and yellow wires will normally work!