Panasonic Q and the service disc

Discussion in 'Nintendo Game Development' started by davidthomas, May 21, 2014.

1. Pad17

Pad17 Rapidly Rising Member

Oh ok, thank you for your answer ... I will not buy this XV-10 if the motherboard it is not identical to the one in the Q...

2. Tigaruk

Tigaruk Newly Registered

So has anyone managed to get the downloadable disc working? I've got a panasonic Q that was fully region modded. It played Pal DVDs but one day i turned the plug off before it had shut down and then was no longer able to play Pal DVDs (i feel American DVDs continued to work). So what do people think went wrong here and will the service disc fix this?

3. Pad17

Pad17 Rapidly Rising Member

Try to Factory Reset your Panasonic Q : in DVD mode (without disk), just hold "STOP" and "PAUSE" on the front panel while you press "<10" button on your remote control until "INITIAL" appears on LCD screen.
    If it doesn't work, maybe the extra-ram or the microchip for DVD region free is dead :/ I don't think the service disk is necessary in this case (and for the moment, the downloaded image disc for the Service Disc doesn't work).

4. Slypty

Slypty Active Member

Primo Prassi is able to create .GI formats from CDs or DVDs. I requested this from Famiac because the .GI format (Global Interface) is used to index the Region coding through Macromedia files, other formats might not have the proper coding. If I could only get my copy of Prassi to actually BURN a bloody disk I think it would work.. anyways baby steps

5. Slypty

Slypty Active Member

If I follow these instructions here: http://i.imgur.com/Sa4xJUJ.png
    There's quite a few things that might need sorting out:
    Step 1: There's not really a 'Standby' Button on the remote.. I assume this is just to 'turn it Off and On'.. don't think it's important but can't be sure.
    Step 2: Plays fine
    Step 3: Enter Setup... there's no actual button for Setup, except you can access it by pressing the bottom left button (with red writing) and top right by pressing them simultaneously.
    Step 4, 5 and 6 work fine
    Step 7: After inputting the code, the Disc doesn't read again.. it attempts to read but doesn't play.
    After watiing and re-booting the system never wants to play NTSC videos... only NTSC-J. So clearly there's some other problem, either with inputting these codes, or with the burnable DVD .gi file.
    Famiac if you're reading this, thanks for uploading the .GI. Do you remember if this Disc worked for you? I think you said it did.

6. Slypty

Slypty Active Member

Found out the code for Region Change is '3192'.. however that didn't work either. '3193' is more for Macromedia disable.

7. famiac

famiac Rising Member

Just tried the whole process again with my original disc. It works. “Setup” refers to “Preferences” which can be accessed by holding the shift key and hitting the top right button, as has been said before.
    If i had a proper way to rip the disc, i’d be happy to, but neither .iso nor .gi has worked for people, it seems.

Maybe Prassi Primo didn’t actually rip the DVD properly?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  8. Slypty

Slypty Active Member

I talked to someone who used to burn this disk using the methods explained here, I managed to contact him through a different forum. He hadn't done it for at least 10 years, but mentioned that it's possible the Disks I'm using just don't hold the data anymore because they can lose their endurance if improperly stored.

Aside from that, it's possible Prassi didn't extract it properly. There's also info that if you're using a newer version of Prassi the tool that makes macromedia copies readable was disabled with some .dll file.

If anyone has a copy of the original Primo Prassi (it came with the DVDS20 burner) getting hold of that original app may be a way around the error.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  9. famiac

famiac Rising Member

I definitely want to get this disc preserved before bitrot eats it. In its current state, it is still working properly and I just used it a couple weeks ago to redo my panasonic Q after I replaced some parts.

If someone has a guide on how to use Primo Prassi the right way, then maybe we can get this done sooner than later.

10. Maverick

Maverick Active Member

Hey everyone, so I'm reading the thread with great interest. I noticed the .gi files posted are a little bigger than what a DL DVD supports.

For those who are willing to purchase, the Sony Optiarc AD-5290S-PLUS overburns DL+DVD media to 8.7GB, more than enough for the .gi images. I used it in the past to burn proper backups of Xbox 360 games that were larger than the standard 8.5GB DL media.

The drive is on sale right now on Newegg with free 2 day shipping from Shoprunner, when you sign up.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827196270

Make sure to use a DVD+DL disc for overburning, and set the bookype to DVD-ROM in ImgBurn before creating the disc. Mainly because players around that time had a hard time reading + Discs or not reading them at all. Today's modern players don't have this limitation anymore.

11. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

It's because the file has extra information that doesn't get burned. Its also not designed for retail discs or burners.

12. Maverick

Maverick Active Member

You have the proper burner, right? Assuming a good backup is produced, you'll be able to burn it?

13. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick