Panasonic Q and the service disc

Discussion in 'Nintendo Game Development' started by davidthomas, May 21, 2014.

1. Slypty

Slypty Active Member

A bit of an update...
    Because I run a shared service project with a friend that replaces the Qs guide rails and install a Region Switch, I really wanted to get hold of a working copy of the Panasonic Service Disk. So, I went out of my way to find the correct Authoring Burner, found a cheap old IBM with a SCSI interface and hooked it up. I'm able to burn the ISO Famiac linked us, but when I play the DVD and insert the codes, the Q just stays in JP Mode.
    One of two problems is occurring: The easy one, is that the laminate on my Authoring discs have eroded over the years and some file structures are missing on the burns.
    More likely, the Q Disc has to be burned in the GI Image Format. This format is a more exact replica than an ISO, and probably has permissions granted to the macromedia and region coding embedded on the original disk. I've tried ISO and GI formats, because I was able to convert the ISO in to GI format with Primo Prassi 2.0. Once I created the GI my burner tells me that there is access errors on the image file. This makes me think that you can't go from ISO to GI.. creating a GI Image from the Original Disk might be the way to go.

Ideally attaining the original disk would be the easiest way around the error, Famiac has mentioned he'll try to post a GI formatted disk image to the forums sometime soon.

2. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Have you tried just burning on a normal disc with a normal writer?

Someone had already said it boots for them

Edit:

Just noticed you said you have burned it, but it stays in JP mode. So disregard

3. Slypty

Slypty Active Member

Pretty sure the original disc needs to be extracted by Prassi Primo in a GI format, regular burners won't extract the files that contain the Region and Macromedia formats. Once I burn the GI Famiac uploads I'll try again.. if there's success, I can send copies to anybody who needs one.

4. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

I have the writer and media too, just not q for testing so that was as far as I got.

Interested to hear your results

5. Slypty

Slypty Active Member

Do you have a copy of Primo Prassi that came with the DVRS201? Apparently the later versions came with a DLL file (Robofile) that prevents proper burning of GI Files. I'm not sure if it could be the problem or if it's the ISO from Famiac. Apparently there was a strand of ISOs released for the Service Disc that were corrupted a long time ago, so it depends on his source or if the format actually has to be GI. If you have the original Primo I would really like to try it out. If you install the Primo App again, check to see if it loads a Robo.dll file. We want one with out that file.

6. josermdk

josermdk Newly Registered

Just wondering if there's been any success with the disc. I also own a Q would be interested in a copy. Been searching for some time now and this is the only thread I've seen with recent developments. I myself am gonna continue searching for a copy even if its unlikely.

7. Pad17

Pad17 Rapidly Rising Member

(I'm sorry for my mistakes, I use a translator)

I have a Panasonic Q unmodified by Lik-Sang (or someone else). I come here because I have several questions and ideas.

1) Firstly, I have a problem: either by composite or by S-VIDEO, when I put the console in DVD mode, the image is in black and white: / When I put in GameCube mode, it's in color! Does anyone have an explanation for this problem?

2) Then I live in France and I only have DVD PAL, which are not compatible without modification on the Panasonic Q. So I decided to burn the iso Service Disc provided by famiac on this forum . I burned it on a DVD-R Verbatim with a classic DVD burner, and followed the procedure written on the topic (before that, I had the Panasonic Q menu in English) Here's what I did:
    - I turned on the Q in DVD mode and put the engraved Service Disc
    - I waited a few seconds, the LCD Screen of the Q displayed "STOP"
    - I was in the DVD player menu> Display> "On screen-message"> Enter> "> 10" "6" "4" "3" "8", then the code 3192, then Enter 2 times.
    - the Q restarted, reading the disc, "STOP" then nothing ... The menu came back in Japanese ...

Then I restarted the Q (DVD Mode) with this Service Disc copy. When the playback of the disc was done in 10 seconds then "STOP", I pressed "PLAY", and the little film with the baby appeared:
    [​IMG]

Then I pressed the "MENU" button on my remote control and came across this menu:
    [​IMG]

It is actually a menu of tests (images, sounds, etc ...) but no unlocking options ... Out of curiosity, I inserted this DVD in another drive, and it works (images in color are taken from my PS3, cause my Q don't output colors in DVD Mode :() .
    I actually feel that this DVD (well, the ISO of this DVD) is just a test DVD, can it really unlock the region?

3) Finally, I had an idea but I would like to have yours opinions. The Panasonic Q is actually, for its DVD mode, a DVD player RV31 from Panasonic NTSC-J version. I may have the opportunity to buy a PAL RV31 DVD player (as I live in France). Why ? Because the motherboard of the RV31 PAL already contains the necessary extra-ram contrary to the motherboard of the Panasonic Q!
    So I want to install the RV31 PAL motherboard instead of the Panasonic Q. RV31 NTSC-J motherboard.

However, I would like to allow the RV31 PAL to play NTSC formats, do you think the Service Disc could do it?

(EDIT ! I just made a little "discovery": there are hidden functions possible with the remote control!
    On the facade of the Panasonic Q, in DVD mode (without disk), hold the STOP and PAUSE buttons, and press one of the numbered keys on your remote control, inscriptions will appear on the LCD screen!
    I just discovered that to put the console back to the factory settings, just hold STOP and PAUSE on the front panel and press <10 on the remote control;) )

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
    renanbianchi and sa1 like this.
  8. famiac

famiac Active Member

Are you using the instructions I posted earlier in the thread?
    http://i.imgur.com/Sa4xJUJ.png

Looking back at my email history, the person who sold me the disc said it couldn't be copied without special equipment. But you can still try.
    Also, I have the RAM chips necessary to mod the Q for PAL DVDs. The guide is here

You also need to flash a 12c508a to do the mod. I have the binary for the chip, but i'm reluctant to share.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  9. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

I have the special equipment, but itinerary to be used to create the iso as well as burn it.

10. Pad17

Yes, I did all the instructions, but there was no effect ... Then in addition, I do not have the necessary components to make the change. If the Service Disc (burned iso) does not work, it does not serve much! I think that a simple copy of the ISO without necessary hardware does not allow the Panasonic Q to change its firmware, it must be an original disc or the material needed to burn the ISO.

Also, my theory was wrong: the PAL motherboard of a RV31 DVD player is not totally identical to that of the Panasonic Q. Although the motherboards are quite identical, the connectors are different, and the location of the components is different. Same thing for the RV31 NTSC motherboard. So the Panasonic Q motherboard DVD is unique for this device.

However, thank you @famiac to share this guide !

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  11. famiac

famiac Active Member

Hey all. I made a disc image using Primo Prassi as suggested. Let me know if this works.
    If you plan on selling copies of this, I'd appreciate if you could keep the price at a minimum.

12. Pad17

Thank you for this ! However, there are 4 files, how to burn these files and with which software? This is the first time I discovered .gi files...

EDIT : I found how to do it, we must choose the smallest file (RV31Disc.gi - 2 ko) in the burning software. However, ImgBurn refuses to burn it because the "RV31Disc file (1_0).gi" seems invalid ... I will try with another software.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  13. Pad17

So, I found the solution to burn but I have a problem:
    - Download 4 famiac's files from his link
    - Rename the letter "c" of "Disc" by a "k" to make "Disk" of each file (RV31Disc becomes "RV31Disk"). (I think there was a small mistake when naming the files with Primo Prassi;)
    - open ImgBurn, "Write image file on disc", select only the smallest file that is 2k ("RV31Disk.gi")

Problem: The image is 8191MB and a blank DVD is 4482 MB. Two options: Overburn or Truncate. Which choice ?

14. renanbianchi

renanbianchi Member

I want to thank you so, so, so much for posting this factory reset, i've had a problem with the Q i had about 10 years ago, when i asked a friend who had those controller with region free comand for panasonic dvds, he used the controller on my Q to try and remove dvd region lock and it gave me some kind of error message every time i booted the Q in dvd mode and it wouldn't let me use the controller anymore after 30 seconds of booting. THIS SAVED MY Q. THANK YOU!

15. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Like Primo Prassi that's been discussed in this thread and he even said in his post he used to create the image?

16. Pad17

Happy for you ! :) I must admit that I discovered it really randomly !
    (Note that this only returns the factory settings of the DVD mode, not the GameCube mode).

I read that, but I solved the problem, ImgBurn is able to burn it, I just said in my next post that the image is too big for a blank DVD (a blank DVD is 4GB and the image is 8GB). I just wanted to know if with Img Burn I chose "Overburn" or "Truncade"? What if the original Service Disc was on a single-layer or dual-layer DVD?

17. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

You can't over burn by 4gb. It must be a dl disc I guess.

Or prassis image format has loads of extra data and img burn actually doesn't support the file type at all

18. KaleCriss

KaleCriss Member

Hey all,
    I have been lurking watching the thread. I tried to burn the disc on a DL-DVD and it is like 40mb over. I've tried with IMG burn and prassis and no luck either way. I have been looking other options, I picked up a Panasonic DVD-XV10 from the UK and it has the same drive/laser and revision of the Mpeg board in it. I am awaiting some 15, 17 and 26 pin connectors to try it in the Q. Of coarse if it does work it will be a Pal region 2 unit (which won't help me, but it's a start). I have also talked to a tech that use to mod DVD players and he gave me info on editing the bios on the Mpeg board. This would require me to remove a chip, dump it, edit in a hex editor all that. So I need to get a chip reader/ writer to do it. I will follow up on my progress as I can.
    There is a DVD-XV10 on the bay currently in Germany and it's about $25 but shipping kills it for me to get another. Here is a link if interested.

19. Pad17

Interesting! Keep us informed about your research.
    However, are you sure that the motherboard of the DVD-X01 is identical to that of the Q? Because I always read that the Panasonic Q had a Panasonic RX-31 motherboard. I checked myself, and it's half true: the motherboard is almost identical, but not quite, the implementation of the components is not identical, and the connectors are totally different ... (I had the idea also to change the motherboard of the Q by a PAL RX-31 DVD motherboard which contains the necessary RAM, and to use a Service Disc to make it Region Free, but it is not possible ...)
    I live in Europe, if the auction is not too high, I will try to buy on the bay this XV-10 and check this theory :)

20. KaleCriss

KaleCriss Member

The revision of the board in the DVD-XV10 is a RJB2312C. There are differences compared to the one in the Q. It has the added ram for the pal region also has an Analog Devices chip ADV7170KSU. It has the two same connectors that the RV31 has.