Painting a sega sports dreamcast

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by dark, Nov 2, 2012.

1. dark

dark Dauntless Member

I'm seriously considering painting my black sega sports DC. When I picked it up cheap about a year or so ago, I had the idea that if I wanted to, I could fairly simply modify it to look like the out-of-my-price-range JPN only Silver dreamcast.

Why paint the sports model instead of one of the grey models?
    -Unlike the standard grey models, the sports model comes with the dreamcast logos on the lid and controller with a black background, which closely matches the silver model. Additionally, the silver model is really only silver on the top part of the shell, with the lower half, the controller port plastic bar, and the modem among other parts, still being black plastic just like the sports model. In fact, I have seen photos of a heavily used silver controller, which confirm what I somewhat expected - which is that the silver coloring on the silver DC is put on a piece of black plastic (part of the silver controller I saw had been worn on the corner by the L trigger, showing black plastic underneath the silver color).

Here is a picture of the silver model:
    [​IMG]

and the sega sports model for comparison
    [​IMG]

This is just for my personal usage and enjoyment, I'm not trying to make counterfeits or anything ;)

Now, I've seen some great DC paint jobs where the paint looks really great and akin to the plastic coming naturally that color - and I've seen some horrendous paint jobs where the paint is all goopy and sticky looking. I've never painted a console before so I wanted anyone who had a good experience to give some tips:

-what is a good paint to use?
    -in your opinion, will the silver color be opaque on the black plastic? How many coats should I do?
    -should I sand or otherwise remove the Sega Sports logo on the lid first? Would it probably shine through the paint?
    -is it necessary to sand or use magic eraser on the plastic before I paint?
    -should I use some kind of sealing agent or glossy finish thing on the paint when I'm done, for protection and/or for a more natural looking finish? I really have no experience with painting at all.
    -if I paint the controller, is the fact that I use the controller frequently with my hands going to make the paint rub off after a couple months?

I'd just be doing a really basic paint job, spraying the top half of the case, and the part of the controller that comes silver with the silver DC.

2. drewmerc

drewmerc Rising Member

use a plastic dye something like this http://www.vinyldye.co.uk/ quick quote from the page "Vinyl Dye has a special ability to ‘seep’ into a material, unlike paint which ‘sits on top’ of a material."

3. AlecRob

AlecRob Robust Member

I recommend using vinyl dye. how about go over it with a coat of white, then put on a coat of silver over that?

4. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

Why bother with black if you want to make it silver? Just dye the parts black you want to be black and make those silver you want silver.

This seems like a waste of a perfectly good Sega Sports Dreamcast when there is the option to get what you want without taking one more of these out of the world. Hell, you could go really cheap and find one that looks like it was soaked in horse urine. The dye/paint would work just as well and you'd save some cash. Next I'll be seeing someone wanting to make a Hi-Saturn or V-Saturn into a white Saturn.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  5. dark

dark Dauntless Member

Nah it's a little different than the saturn comparison. The sega sports model is not rare at all and extremely affordable. I bought mine for about $20. At the same time, the DC logo graphic on the console and controller has the black bg, where the standard grey model doesn't. It's a small but noticeable detail, not easily replicable on the grey model, and accentuates the look. I also have to paint less, which as someone who hasn't messed around with paint before, is something of a plus.

Your criticism actually gave me an extremely logical idea though. Namely, I have a few other standard grey dreamcasts + controllers, including some with minor discoloring - and I could just take one of these white shells from the top of the console and the controller, paint each of them silver, swap the DC logos from the sports edition, and assemble with the lower half of the sega sports console/controller to have the silver look - while keeping the sega sports shell unmarked in case I want to switch it back later.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  6. Cyberghost

Cyberghost Peppy Member

Thats an excellent idea. It may not be too rare, but I would have hated to see a sports edition go to waste like that. Using a white part instead is a much better way to do it, not ruining the sports edition shell.

7. supergeek321

supergeek321 Newly Registered

cool dreamcast

8. dark

dark Dauntless Member

Update on this overall project.

-I acquired a transparent plastic piece for the lid, which the official silver DC has.
    -I've got a white case top picked out for the painting
    -I brainstormed a solution for having a sega and/or windows CE text on the front: I can probably simply print this stuff in b+w onto a sheet of transparent sticker paper, cut it to size, and stick it onto the painted shell where the logos/text would be
    -I got some generic brand silver spraypaint, but after testing it, it doesn't seem to work so well on plastic (which it's not advertised for anyway). It's also way too cold outside right now.

After doing some more research on spraypaints, I think I'm going to have to find a can of krylon, which apparently works well on plastic, and I've seen various good DC paintjobs come from using it. I still probably need to wait for it to warm up outside though.

I'm also having a tough time removing the DC logo sticker from the lid. I need a flatter blade than the butter knife I've been using to pry other things, to get under it a little.

This is a DC painted with krylon metallic silver hammered finish. Looks pretty good to me and I think I'll try to go with this exact paint.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  9. wiggyx

wiggyx Spirited Member

Painting plastic is like painting anything else, it's all about the prep. I hope you're not just laying paint right on top of the plastic. If you are, then don't expect it to last :(

What you want to start with is what's known as plastic adhesion promoter. It's literally primer for plastics. After using that, you can use a light colored primer if you need to go from a dark plastic base to a lighter color (as you did), or just paint directly with whatever base color you chose. I'd also highly recommend a top coat of some sort, whether it be flat, satin, gloss or whatever. This adds a protective layer that will do a lot to prevent scratches and chips.

If you want to remove that emblem without damaging it or the lid, then a small plastic pry tool that's been shaved down to a very fine "blade" will help to the trick. At the very least it should give you enough leverage to get an Xacto blade underneath to get it the rest of the way up.

As far as the suggestions regarding dye, I wouldn't. First off, it doesn't always work the way you want it to, and I've seen a few attempts with Dreamcast parts which weren't very successful. It's also not terribly permanent, especially for things that are handled a lot like controllers. And finally, you can't dye black plastic to a lighter color. Imagine spilling grape juice on a black shirt. Same idea, nothing really happens.

Hope this helps.

10. dark

dark Dauntless Member

Thanks, that's some good advice. I looked into the vinyl dye myself and saw a number of instances where it didn't work out well for people.

Picking up all these paints and primers is starting to look expensive, maybe I'm better off customizing with a vinyl skin :excitement:

11. wiggyx

wiggyx Spirited Member

It's not too pricey, and you'll get a good amount of use out of some of the products. I really like Bulldog adhesion promoter. It's pricey for rattlecan stuff, but it works great.

12. FlabberGaster

FlabberGaster Robust Member

It sounds like a good plan. Don't worry about its rarity or not, sports consoles arent that rare...
    If anything, I'll probably be modding a samsung saturn to be region free if I ever get one.