Overdrive Game Gear HOW TO

Discussion in 'Everdrive GG' started by Tofan, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Tofan

Tofan Member

Everdrive Game Gear HOW TO

To all my Assembler brethren, I offer a guide on how to use this wonderful device, simply because there isn't really a "Clearcut" How to on this thing and if you don't know what your doing, it can lead to some frustrating and regretful times. I will edit this as some people point out different things to me as there are still a couple of things i'm not sure how to, only been messing with it for about 4 hours.

First off, you have to PURCHASE the Everdrive system, either from Krikz himself, or one of the many vendors he sells to. I purchased mine from SAG, and it arrived promptly. I didn't receive any stickers, instruction manuals, just the below in a bubble wrapped bag, I have seen other purchases where they get the full sticker, manual, etc. My system was shipped with operating system 8 on it which requires the MicroSD card to be formatted to FAT32.

[​IMG]

So lets get started shall we?;

Basics

1. Depending on when you bought yours or buy yours, you will have to format your MicroSD card to FAT32, as the new Operating System will no longer support FAT16. I am pretty sure when using a windows computer it's pretty easy option when you right click, but with a Macbook Pro using any of the OS X systems, it took a long time for me to find this out. The disk utility will NOT format the card to FAT32, if you have Yosemite(I have Yosemite), so you have to use the Terminal Utility.
    Basically your going to type diskutil list, which will display all of the drives that the Macbook Pro recognizes. You are looking for your MicroSD card, which should be close to the capacity the card is rated at. The list will look like this:

[​IMG]

You are looking for the /dev/disk that has your MicroSD card which I opted to get the 2GB one from SAG. As soon as you see what /dev/disk your MicroSD card, is then the command is sudo diskutil eraseDisk fat32 NAME MBRFormat /dev/disk1.(fat32 must be used instead of FAT32 if using Yosemite, I cannot confirm with the older Mac operating systems, but you have to use lowercase for mine, Also NAME is what you want the MicroSD card to be called) It will probably ask you for your password and prompt you with a warning, just continue so you can get your MicroSD card formatted to FAT32.

2. Now that we have the MicroSD card formatted to FAT32, now you can start adding GameGear or Master System games, or BOTH! To do this you simply need to put the MicroSD card into the SD card adapter and put it into your computer. I opted to make two new file names, one for GameGear Games and one for Master System Games. After you make the two new folders, simply drag and drop your BACKED UP roms to each folder.

3. Eject the SD card properly so you don't get the error and possibly corrupt the SD card.

4. Take a small phillips screwdriver to remove the one screw from the Everdrive Game Cartridge(If you didn't get the hard case with your purchase you are going to have to purchase a 3.5mm Gamebit tool to remove the screw from normal GameGear games). Remove the front hard face from the back, you will now see the plain PCB board. The MicroSD card slot is in the top right and can be inserted by pushing and you will feel the spring and the MicroSD card click into place.

5. Reassemble the cartridge and put into your game gear and turn the system on.

6. When you boot it up it will display the Sega Startup screen followed by a black screen with os init(short for initializing). From here you can either pressure Button 1 to select your games and if you do it will prompt you with 3 menu items.
    1. Load and start
    2. Load only
    3. Hex View
    1. Load and start, which will have a screen showing do not turn off, Erasing....Writing. Basically what this is doing is erasing the RAM chip and loading your ROM into the RAM chip for the game to boot and for you to play. This is how the system works.
    2. Load only, which load the game into the RAM, then you can play around the menu.
    3. Hex View, which displays a bunch of Hex Characters, I am not sure what this view is for and am still gathering information.

Saves

The games that use a SAVE feature apparently can still be used, but you have to make a dummy file(any text file should work) and name it the game you want to save. For example if Sonic used the save feature it would be Sonic Adventure Save File. There is apparently a menu feature that lets you save it that I haven't found yet and will update when I do.

Menu

When you turn on the Gamegear with the MicroSD card inserted it will take you to the menu where you can see your file names that you made with all your games inside. You can press the Button 2 which will take you to the "Main Menu". It will have these three options
    1. Start Game
    2. Device Info
    3. About

Obviously Start game will start the game. Device info will show you the information about the device such as OS version, some other versions and the build date of the cart I think( ASM Date).
    About will show you support information, the maker's name, and the controls which are:
    Left/Right-Switch Page
    1- Select(it says File Menu, but I assume this is a translation issue)
    2. Back
    3. In Root- Main Menu

So lets Recap.

Get the Everdrive, Format the SD card to FAT32, Put your games on it, Put the MicroSD card into the cartridge, put the cartridge into the Gamegear, Select your games using Button 1, and go back using Button 2. You can change pages by using the left and right buttons if like me have a lot of backups.

Any other questions feel free to post, I'm sure I missed something, I will update it when I can. Thanks fellas!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015