Oscilloscope advice

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by Sloth, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Sloth

Sloth Member

Hi all,

I'd like to purchase an oscilloscope partly for my own curiosity and to learn about them in general, but also with the intention of using it to calibrate a PS1 laser unit that's acting up.

As I only have hobbyist inclinations I have neither the means nor desire to spend a huge amount for a professional device but I don't want to buy something super cheap that's no good for what I want either.

I was thinking of going for a Hantek USB scope, but I use Linux and support is patchy it seems.

I'd really appreciate some advice on what sort of thing I should be going for to start with and what sort of budget I'd need.

Thanks in advance! :)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  2. Armorant

Armorant Spirited Member

Start from 20mHz and more, Hantek USB is bad choice.

Sloth likes this.
  3. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

What would be the frequency range/resolution you'd need and your budget?

Finding an old one in good condition locally is typically the best deal though.

Sloth likes this.
  4. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

What about using an anologue scope

Sloth likes this.
  5. Sloth

Sloth Member

Well, that's the thing, I don't know what I'm looking for really. I just want something I can use to learn and experiment with. Budget is limited, I guess I could go to £150 - £200 at a push, but the cheaper the better. I have seen some advertised locally, but I don't know enough about them to tell if it's a good deal, if it's a decent machine, things like that.

I know I'm not giving you much to go on, but I don't know anything about them other than the fact that they are useful tools to have and I want to learn to use one. :)

I'll use any scope that I can afford, is of a reasonable quality and is suitable for hobbyist use.

6. KaosEngineer

KaosEngineer Spirited Member

Review of USB oscilloscopes: https://knowm.org/a-review-of-usb-oscilloscopes-with-software-development-kits/

Some have multiple functionality: data acquisition (scope), signal generator and data recording. Some have multi-platform support for Windows and Linux.

Prices should be doubled checked as the Analog Arts SA935 listed at $300 but the vendor's current price list shows $200. The number of probes included in the review article linked above may be the difference in price.

So many devices available to try and make a decision.

7. Armorant

Armorant Spirited Member

Well, if you have to buy an oscilloscope anyway it will be better to get Hantek 5102p or 5202p (as I did, 5202p). 200-250$

8. Zeigren

Zeigren Rapidly Rising Member

If you really want to jump into the world of oscilloscopes I would bypass both the USB and analog scopes if you can. Once I got an analog scope I immediately wished I had a digital one. A lot of your choices depend on what you want to do with it. The "rule of thumb" is you want a scope with 4-5x the bandwidth of whatever it is you want to measure and with a sample rate 4-5x higher than the bandwidth. So to actually see a decent waveform of the slowest SD card at ~20 MHz you would want something like a ~100MHz scope with 500M samples/second.

Now you can definitely get away with a lot less, especially when starting out. That 4-5x figure is if you want to see the complete picture so to speak. If you have a 50MHz scope and you're looking at a 40MHz signal you'll be able to see that it's there, and it's frequency. But the shape of the signal won't be great, and you won't be able to get a good idea of signal rise times and such.

Now for my recommendation, get a Hantek DSO5072P or whatever is the cheapest model you can find in that same family. They can be found for pretty cheap at around $200 USD, you'll probably be fine with two channels to start out with, and you can hack them up to 200MHz :p http://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hantek-tekway-dso-hack-get-200mhz-bw-for-free/

Sloth likes this.
  9. Sloth

Sloth Member

This is incredibly helpful, thank you. I'll take the plunge and pick up a Hantek DSO5072P as soon as budget allows. :)

Zeigren likes this.
  10. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

There is a new pocket scope out!!