Origins of Zelda Master Quest Debug Rom?

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by link83, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Knuckles500

Knuckles500 Spirited Member

I'd have to look but I'm sure xdaniel has the original rom. Since some things have been mentioned already, here's a list of what was in the original rom:

1.) The file name was ZELOOTMA.V64 if I remember correctly (so it was byteswapped)
    2.) 120 crashes and doesn't load up for the reasons xdaniel stated.
    3.) 121 is dark and has no music playing
    4.) Rom header is "THE LEGEND OF ZELDA"
    5.) 125 only worked in Nemu64 if I remember correctly, it will generate an error on the video plugin in PJ64 (v1.6)

I used to have the original ROM, but I guess I don't now. To be honest I'm not sure if what's in the GoodSet today is the original ROM, but if you want to check you can compare it with the list I wrote above. When I said that there were tools to fix/patch the ROM, Utility of Time's older versions (they were called something different and all they could do was patch the ROM, can't remember the name though) were initially created to patch the ROM. I also don't have this tool anymore.

2. xdaniel

xdaniel Robust Member

I tend to keep ROMs like this as unmodified as possible (even if it means crashes or other inconveniences) so I guess the one I'm having is pretty much the original, excluding being not byteswapped anymore, because I also like being able to edit things easily :p

Also, cooliscool's pre-UoT/pre-ZAV/ZAVAP tool was called "Zelda Edit", if I'm not mistaken. As Knux said, all it could initially do was fix certain things in the ROM (ex. rooms 120 and 125), while I believe it later also translated the map select screen into English and allowed moving around actors using a crude 2D interface of some kind - the warp in 121 is something I distinctly recall being able to be changed.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  3. willcrook

willcrook Rapidly Rising Member

Looks like the Ocarina of Time for the 3DS is due to have some new features which haven't been revealed yet!

Very exciting :)

4. MLâ„¢

MLâ„¢ Member

The only way I can explain 2003 is because of the iQue's release of OOT. It was probably debugged a bit more but still with the original ROM and Nintendo built a good one later. (It seems OOT was released on the 17.11.03 for the iQue).

5. Animedude5555

Animedude5555 Member

WOW COOL! I have a problem though. I've found tons of various variations of this rom that have been patched, hacked etc. Thinking I could find THE ORIGINAL Debug ROM, I used the obscure name you said you found (thinking that this would denote an unaltered copy of the Debug ROM) in my Google search. Unfortunately even copies of the rom with the original name ZELOOTMA have been patched. My first time downloading a copy of ZELOOTMA.z64 I ended up with a copy that had a Japnanese to English language translation patch applied. Can you send me a copy of the UNALTERED ORIGINAL ZELOOTMA rom? If you don't want to post the download link in the forum, send it to me at animedude5555@gmail.com

6. fate6

fate6 Haha, I killed a Pumpkin!

First off thats a heck of a bump you got there and second

http://synt4x.ath.cx/oot_debug/

It was the second google search result of "ZELOOTMA.z64"

7. Goemon

Goemon AG Member since 2005!

What a old thread but it is funny to read all this wild storys about the origin of that Debug version...

8. Deen

Deen Active Member

Blast to the past :p

9. Animedude5555

Animedude5555 Member

That's not the original DEBUG rom as released by the guy who leaked the ROM as discussed in this threat. That is instead the link to a slightly modified version, that is the GoodSet version. I know, because when I load it in Project64, it identifies it as the GoodSet version. The original version would not be able to identified by Project64, since it would have a different hash. Also, according to someone else on this thread, the Z64 version is somewhat (even if only slightly) modified. The true original had a V64 file extension. Unfortunately looking up "ZELOOTMA.v64" turns up nothing, except an old (and broken) download link for Rapidshare (which probably deleted it due to piracy). Now there appears to be no copy of the original rip anywhere on the net. Hopefully a forum goer here will be kind enough to upload a copy of ZELOOTMA.v64 that they happen to have on their computer, and post the link here.

10. Animedude5555

Animedude5555 Member

Also, what is the Zelda Edit patch he says he applied to one of the copies of the ROM? What does it fix? I found nothing that needed fixing in the copy that he claimed was unpatched.

11. Animedude5555

Animedude5555 Member

Nope. From reading what I have here, ZELOOTMA.z64 is not the original. The original is ZELOOTMA.v64. Can someone find me a copy of that? I've searched everywhere for that. I can't find it.

12. Animedude5555

Animedude5555 Member

Nope. From reading what I have here, ZELOOTMA.z64 is not the original. The original is ZELOOTMA.v64. Can someone find me a copy of that? I've searched everywhere for that. I can't find it.

13. einstein95

einstein95 Active Member

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  14. Kao

Kao Gutsy Member

The original is ZELOOTMA.V64

15. Zoinkity

Zoinkity Site Supporter 2015

Good thing filenames can't be changed. Actually, that can't be the original filename, and if the backstory is correct (distro from the European translation team responsible for the GC release) then it was never "dumped", so to speak. The header probably wasn't modified though, something which quietly occurs with most proto releases so that they run on emulators at all.

If you really want to determine which is which in an end-user kind of way, you could use the debug menu to try to load rooms 120, 116, and check the title of the debug menu.

16. Black Zero

Black Zero Member

Hello, I signed up just to confirm that I have the original untouched version of the Master Quest Debug rom.
    I've heard there is modified versions and being a OCD freak, I really hope I got the unmodified version.

This is the data for my version of the rom:

File name: ZELOOTMA.V64
    Date: 22/03/2003 1:41 PM
    Size: 67108864
    CRC32: 2EE3E247
    MD5: DDE376D47187B931820D5B2957CDED14
    SHA-1: 973BC6FE56010A8D646166A1182A81B4F13B8CF9
    Header: THE LEGEND OF ZELDA

Is this correct, is it CLEAN?

A big thank you in advance to anyone that can confirm this!

17. einstein95

einstein95 Active Member

Run it through GoodN64. If it recognizes it (incorrectly) as "Zelda no Densetsu - Toki no Ocarina - Master Quest (J) (Debug Version)", then it's the clean one.

18. Black Zero

Black Zero Member

THANK YOU!

I ran it through GoodN64 as ZELOOTMA.V64 and by using the rename feature it recognized it as "Zelda no Densetsu - Toki no Ocarina - Master Quest (J) (Debug Version)"
    I was so nervous when I checked the Japan folder but there it was.

Feels so great knowing you have the unaltered clean debug rom, I'm gonna cherish it for the rest of my life.

EDIT:

One thing that struck me right now is what to name it, ZELOOTMA ain't a good name apparently.

It clearly isn't a Japanese dump if it's incorrectly recognized as one. Is it (Europe) or (USA)? Or would it be better to name it Legend of Zelda, The - Ocarina of Time - Master Quest (Debug Version) altogether without region flags?

It does say NZLE, but I'm not sure tagging it (USA) would be correct because I've read the rom originally was leaked by an employee from Nintendo of Europe. But then it would be NZLP as the regular rom from the Ocarina of Time/Master Quest GameCube disc.

I also read that it's misnamed (Legend of Zelda, The - Ocarina of Time - Master Quest (USA) (Debug Edition)), because clearly the build of the game is based on the European MQ release.

Any suggestions?

Also just to be on the safe side here, is it correct to assume that this build date is correct: 03-02-21 00:16:31 as mentioned on page 3?
    Because it matches with the rom I got.

Sorry, just being paranoid here.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  19. einstein95

einstein95 Active Member

As I said, GoodN64 incorrectly names it as such. Legend of Zelda, The - Ocarina of Time - Master Quest (Debug Version) is fine. And yes, if that's the ROM's build date then you're fine. For more information, see TCRF.

20. Black Zero

Black Zero Member

Thank you for all your help einstein95!

I can now be at peace knowing that I got the real thing and that the name I suggested will suffice.
    Along with other rarities this little gem will be preserved in a very secure place.