original xbox power supply mod

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by gorgyrip, Jun 9, 2018.

1. gorgyrip

gorgyrip Gutsy Member

I need to use the power supply for another project (without the xbox).
    The power supply is from an 1.6 xbox and has been tested.
    How can I make it to power on?
    Thank you.

2. Mord.Fustang

Mord.Fustang Dauntless Member

[​IMG]

Just a(n educated) guess. Connect the white one (PowON) to the black one above it. Should that fail, the blue one to the one above that. Try at own risk.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    Syclopse likes this.
  3. gorgyrip

gorgyrip Gutsy Member

I've tried that without luck. I've also tried vcc to powon and that didn't work either.

4. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Did you have a load on the power supply rails when trying it?

A lot of power supplies have a minimum load requirement to turn on.

5. gorgyrip

gorgyrip Gutsy Member

I had a hdd connected. I've tried 2 power supplies and if I apply vcc to powon it outputs 5v but on the 12v line i get about 6-7v.

6. CkRtech

CkRtech Spirited Member

From a more ATX point of view (I haven't messed with many Xbox PSUs), Power on should be driven low (connected to gnd) in order to power up the PSU as Mord.Fustang mentioned. Also - HDD would only pull +5v and +12v.

It is possible that the PSU needs a minimum load on 3.3v.

7. gorgyrip

gorgyrip Gutsy Member

If I connect powon to gnd nothing happens.

8. KaosEngineer

KaosEngineer Robust Member

I actually think for an Xbox power supply unit (PSU), applying ground voltage level to PowOn turns the power supply off. Applying 3.3Vdc turns it on.

The v1.6 power supply is a bit different having a 5Vdc standby voltage supply unlike all the previous Xbox consoles versions that had a 3.3Vdc standby output when AC power is connected.

I think the standby (always on) 5Vdc output voltage supply (red) [ *The voltages for the STB and ON conditions of a v1.6 power supply above are incorrect! ] needs to be regulated to 3.3Vdc (which is done somewhere on the v1.6 Xbox console). This voltage supply level is routed through the System Management Controller (SMC - Xyclops) chip which when the front panel power button is pressed routes/applies this regulated 3.3Vdc standby supply voltage level to the PowOn pin (white wire) of the power supply connector.

*For the Xbox Delta v1.6 power supply unit (PSU) with a multimeter, check the voltage levels present on the RED and ORANGE (ORG) connections. I believe the correct levels are as follows:

COLOR / STB / ON
    BLUE / 0V / 3.3V <--additional update (PowOK can't be okay for entire supply when turned off.)
    RED / 5V / 5V
    ORG / 0V / 5V

They later two are opposite of this in the image Mord.Fustang posted above from http://diy.sickmods.net/Tutorials/Xbox1/Power_Supply_Pinouts/

Remember, the PSU's standby voltage supply is always ON when AC power is connected. This standby power supply powers the clock cap charging circuit, real-time clock and the SMC which turns on and off the remainder of the console's voltage supplies.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  9. gorgyrip

gorgyrip Gutsy Member

KaosEngineer, you are correct. On 1.6 there's only 5v in standby. I've found a mod for 1.6, but it didn't work. Something like this: 5v--10k---powon; powon--20k--gnd.

I also have another power suppy, this one is not tested. It's 1.0-1.1. It has 3.3v in standby. If i connect 3.3v to powon, the 5v line works, but on the 12v line i get like 5-7V.

About PowOK. On some forums it said that when the power supply is on, it sends 3,3v to powok to tell the console everything is good, but i don't have 3.3v on that pin.

10. KaosEngineer

If the 12Vdc output is 5-7V then all is not okay, no 3.3v on PowOK. Do all of the voltage supply output pins have a load attached?

11. gorgyrip

gorgyrip Gutsy Member

The hdd I was using had some problems. tested another hdd and now it spins. I used a 1.0-1.1 power supply with powon connected to 3.3v. Powered on the psu and after that I connected the new hdd and it works. Now I have 12v with a load attached.

Now about the 1.6 psu. It doesn't have 3.3v in standby. But it has 5v in standby mode. Is it ok to apply 5v to powon?

12. Mord.Fustang

Mord.Fustang Dauntless Member

I don't think it can hurt to try. Most likely it'll do something or it won't. Of course, try at your own risk.

13. KaosEngineer

I think the voltage divider you tried earlier should work to adjust the 5Vdc standby voltage source level down to ~3.3Vdc for PowOn.

14. gorgyrip

gorgyrip Gutsy Member

For the moment i'll use the 1.0-1.1 power supply. But later I will try the 1.6 psu to make it work.

15. Somechump

Somechump Active Member

I have a 1.6 xbox.
    To turn the psu on you need to connect the 3.3v pwrOK line to the pwrON line. Blue to white from the picture.
    PwrON should be a 3.3v input.

16. KaosEngineer

For a v1.6 console, PowOK should be 0V until the power supply is on and the outputs are stable then 3.3Vdc present.

Does it already have 3.3Vdc when AC is plugged in? I don't have a multimeter to check my 1.6 console's PSU.

17. Somechump

Somechump Active Member

When the power supply is plugged in, there is 3.3v on the pwrOK line, as illustrated in the diagram at the start of the thread.

18. gorgyrip

gorgyrip Gutsy Member

Back tot the 1.0-11 psu. If i connect a samsung hdd, it spins and i have 12v. If i connect a seagate hdd, it doesn't spin and instead of 12v i get 6.7v. Why is that happening?

19. obcd

obcd Rapidly Rising Member

Probably because the samsung has enough load on the 5V and the seagate isn't. Most power supplies like the xbox one only regulate the 5V and 3V3 as the 12V isn't critical. If there isn't hardly any load on the 5V and 3V3, the 12V will drop. Connect an additional 22 ohm 3W resistor to the 5V and/or 3V3 and see if it fixes your issue.

20. gorgyrip

gorgyrip Gutsy Member

I have ended using another psu, but thank you.