Original PlayStation preferred model.

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by drojman, Apr 15, 2018.

1. drojman

drojman Member

Hi folks,

I've had a read through of the older threads on this and I was hoping to get some info/up to date thoughts.

From what I gather, in theory the 550x model Playstation should be the most desirable in that it has the no colour banding problems and still the high performance sound if you need it. That said would that sound make any difference in pure gaming terms?

Also, I've seen models 750x and above considered more stripped down. I know the 9xxx series has no parallel port but other than that are these two era just missing the sound chip? Does the 700x still have the DAC?

I think the 1001 is off the table for me as banding issue is there, but if anyone has any thoughts on it I'd really appreciate it.

2. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

The later SCPH-1001 and SCPH-1002 also have the new GPU and SGRAM and don't have the color banding issue - the problem is that you can't tell which is which from the outside. SCEI produced two distinct models (SCPH-3000, with old GPU and VRAM and SCPH-5000, with new GPU and SGRAM), but SCEA and SCEE didn't and just sold both variants as "SCPH-1001" or "SCPH-1002".

The SCPH-700x has a separate audio DAC and a separate SPU chip, like the older models. The main change is that the CD-DSP and the CD-Interface chip (separate ICs on the older machines) have been merged into a single device and the clock oscillators have been replaced with a single xtal and a clock synthesizer chip.

The SCPH-750x machines kept the new clock generation, but further merged the CD/Audio circuity so that CD-DSP, CD-Interface, SPU/Audio DSP and the DAC are all in one chip.

The SCPH-900x is very similar to the SCPH-750x series except for the removed parallel port.

drojman and TerdFerguson like this.
  3. drojman

drojman Member

Ah thank you.

I think that rules the 1001 out for me. I am in the UK and so there would be quite the lottery of importing a 1001 with the updated GPU.

The 700x era consoles have always been a bit of an enigma to me, are they slightly less common or something? I often see discussions where it jumps from the 550x consoles right to the 750x.

Another question is, has there ever been any provable difference between the audio in the newer and older models outside of cd playback?

4. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

The SCPH-700x series seem to be a bit less common - my guess is that at the point they came out the PlayStation sales were decreasing and sales volumes were quite low. When the SCPH-750x series came out there was a significant price drop and a lot of people that might not have been interested at the higher price got them.

The only exception seems to be that the SCPH-7000 (JP model) is quite common.

I haven't tested it in any detail, but my feeling is that the SCPH-750x, SCPH-900x and PSone have slightly noisier audio than the older ones.

5. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

You don't need a 1001, though; you could get a PAL 1002 or a 3000 or 5000 like TriMesh said. I have a 1001, which has a PU-8 motherboard, which is the later revision like TriMesh mentioned, and this system has really good video quality. Not sure about the audio quality, but my feeling is that the audio is better than other revisions as well. I also have a 9000, and that seems like a pretty good system overall.

Also, probably the main reason you want one with better video quality is if you're using RGB. I think if you're using composite the difference probably isn't as noticeable.

6. drojman

drojman Member

Ah sorry, probably should have said I'm specifically after an NTSC console, I currently have a 7002 PAL console, which I like.

It seems a lot of the differences are relatively minor up to the 7501, and then on it's only really an issue if you wanted a parallel port. I will still keep an eye out for a 7001 or a 5501 though. I can't imagine there's too much difference between the two.

7. drojman

drojman Member

Sorry for the double post.

So is there absolutely no way at all of telling which GPU a 1001 has just by looking? The only reason I ask is I've found one advertised on line extremely cheaply, that I'm tempted to grab, I'm just curious if I can do anything at all to check. Were they manufactured after a certain date etc?

Thanks.

8. rama

rama Gutsy Member

Just get it. Most PAL consoles are the later revisions with "C" chipset.
    If you can see the label on the underside, only consoles with serials starting with C56 will be old boards.

9. drojman

drojman Member

Sorry, should have clarified. This is a US model. I think I'll buy it anyway, even if just to have it.